Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CANNES 2011 (11-22 May)

CANNES 2011 (11-22 May)

64th Festival poster: photo of Faye Dunaway by Jerry Schatzberg taken in 1970

The Cannes film festival has announced its lineup and juries and people are commenting. You'll find their site for all that here.

And Tribeca

April 20-May 1, 2011.

Tribeca, now ten, is the big US film festivial that goes on at about the same time as the SFIFF and presents more new films. The NY Times has an introductory piece about this year's Tribeca here.

Or you can go to Tribeca's own website. You can scroll through their list there.

CANNES

I don't know much about Cannes yet, but MUBI has a page with many comments on the lineups. You'll find it here. Directors of note with entries this year include:

PEDRO ALMODÓVAR
    NURI BILGE CEYLON
    THE DARDENNE BROTHERS
    AKI KAURISMÄKI
    TERRENCE MALICK
    TAKASHI MIIKE
    NANNI MORETTI
    LYNN RAMSEY (of RATCATHER AND MORVERN CALLER)
    MARKUS SCHLEINZER (formerly MICHAEL HANEKE'S casting assistant)
    PAOLO SORRENTINO (of IL DIVO)
    LARS VON TRIER

In "UN CERTAIN RERARD" SERIES:

BRUNO DUMONT
    ROBERT GUÉDIGUEGUIAN (of THE TOWN IS QUIET and ARMY OF CRIME)
    HONG SANG-SOO
    KIM KI-DUK
    GERARDO NARANJO (of I'M GONNA EXPLODE)
    GUS VAN SANT
    JOACHIM TRIER (of REPRISE)

For many more details of these and other selections in and out of competition at Cannes, see the MUBI article. We'll be hearing about all these director's new films (and others I haven't listed that you'll learn about from MUBI) and I hope to see the best of them at the NYFF in the fall.

May 21: Still have not read any reports of the films at Cannes 2011 by:

Of the name directors I mentioned at the outset I still not seen reports on films by these:

NURI BILGE CEYLAN
    MARKUS SCHLEINZER (formerly MICHAEL HANEKE'S casting assistant
    PAOLO SORRENTINO (of IL DIVO)
    ROBERT GUÉDIGUEGUIAN (of THE TOWN IS QUIET and ARMY OF CRIME)
    HONG SANG-SOO
    KIM KI-DUK
    JOACHIM TRIER (of REPRISE)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-21-2011 at 06:48 AM.

TRIBECA

From the LA Times a roundup of Tribeca, which has announced its prizes. The top prize went to SHE MONKEYS, the Swedish girls' coming of age picture, which I have reviewed in connection with the SFIFF. The top directing prize went to PARK JUNG-BUM, whose JOURNALS OF MUSAN I also have reviewed in the SFIFF. I'm a little surprised at SHE MONKEYS, which left me underwhelmed. PARK JUNG-BUM, however, is a strong choice and a deeply committed young director.

The Tribeca Film Festival has handed out its jury prizes, giving its top award, for narrative feature, to Lisa Aschan’s “She Monkeys.” The Swedish-language coming-of-age film centers on a complicated relationship between two teenage girls competing under intense pressure in the equestrian world.

The top male acting prize went to Shami Bizimana for his performance in Kivu Ruhorahoza's “Grey Matter,” a picture from Rwanda about a young filmmaker whose financing falls through but who watches his script come to life anyway. Dutch It-girl Carice van Houten took home the actress award for her performance as Ingrid Jonker, known as the South African Sylvia Plath, in Paula van der Oest's 1960s-set apartheid drama “Black Butterflies.”

The prize for new narrative director went to the South Korean filmmaker Park Jung-bum for “Journals of Musan,” his movie about a North Korean defector who has settled in South Korea. Screenplay honors, meanwhile, went to Norewigan Jannicke Systad Jacobsen for her offbeat sexual coming-of-age story “Turn Me On, Goddammit.”

On the documentary side, "Bombay Beach," Alma Har’el's stylized look at different personalities at the Salton Sea, won for documentary feature, and Pablo Croce won the award for new documentary director for "Like Water," his movie about UFC fighter Anderson Silva.

Tribeca juries are composed of a motley crew of film-world personalities, which this year included Rainn Wilson, David Gordon Green, Dianne Wiest and author Rula Jebreal.

The Tribeca Film Festival winds up this weekend, with audience prizes handed out on Sunday night. For a complete list of winners, see the Tribeca website.

CANNES is full-on now (May 12, 2011); it began yesterday with Woody Allen's new one, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, which opened simultaneously in Paris. I will see it and report on it, in Paris.

I recommend Mike d'Angelo's coverage of Cannes for Onion AV Club. I don't always agree with him, but no American wrier on this key festival is livelier or more committed. D'Angelo's journal comes day by day from Cannes.

MUBI has a range of coverage that tends to be quite informative.

Manohla Dargis of the NY Times has her beginning report on Cannes today, Friday the Thirteenth. You'll find it here.

Some time soon I promise to see Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris, AKA Minuit à Paris, which was the Cannes opening night film and has been well received here. However, see Mike d'Angelo's less favorable report and bear in mind, they tend to love anything Woody does in France, and Americans have grown tired of him and panned many of his recent efforts. This one however sounds far more upbeat than his latter films have tended to be.

Metro Paris, the giveaway morning giveaway paper here, has a lead article about Ezra Miller, who plays the teenager killer Kevin in Lynne Ramsey's We Need to Talk About Kevin. Miller was in afterschool and City Island, and Ramsey made a reputation with Ratcatcher and Morven Caller. Cannes likes her, and I'd have to say I do too. Tilda Swinton and John C. Reilly also star in Kevin, which sounds like it may be one of the interesting films of this year's Cannes.

I have a list of movies to see in Paris, but the beautiful weather and strolling and eating out and looking at art with friends have kept me out of the dark. I have seen Jerzy Skolimowski's Essential Killing starring Vincent Gallo and will see Céline (Water Lilies) Sciamma's Tomboy with a friend tonight.

Chris, thanks for the links and comments. I have been writing furiously over the past couple of weeks to meet some deadlines and have not had a chance to watch new movies or follow what's going on in Cannes. That is about to change.

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like you are having a great time over there.

Thanks. I'm experiencing Cannes vicariously being in Paris as it goes on. Some Cannes films may come here while I'm still in town, and meanwhile it is in all the papers and magazines.

And a local newsstand has the new Cahiers du Cinema prominently displayed (below Premiere) in this snapshot I took yesterday.

And the Cannes poster is displayed -- very large -- in the Paris subway stations:

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-13-2011 at 06:04 PM.

I'll write thumbnail reviews of ESSENTIAL KILLING and TOMBOY soon. Meanwhile here is part of Mike d'Angelo's entry for yesterday at Cannes. I didn't quite believe Manohla Dargis' dismissal of this film.

CANNES FILM FESTIVAL
    Cannes ’11, day two: an evil child, a new Manic Pixie Dream Girl, and a TV pilot that isn’t
    We Need To Talk About Kevin
    By Mike D'Angelo May 13, 2011

MORE CANNES FILM FESTIVAL

Last year at Cannes, my favorite “film” was the roughly hourlong section of Olivier Assayas’ Carlos devoted to the 1975 OPEC hostage crisis. This year, it’s gonna be tough for anything to beat the gobsmacking first 30 minutes (or so) of We Need To Talk About Kevin, Lynne Ramsay’s long-awaited return to the screen after Ratcatcher (1999) and Morvern Callar (2002). Barricading herself within the tormented psyche of a mother (Tilda Swinton) whose son has clearly committed some Columbine-style atrocity, Scottish filmmaker Ramsay fragments present-day misery and nearly two decades of memories into an impressionistic collage of red-streaked images and head-rattling noises, frequently hopscotching across multiple time frames in a matter of seconds, without any signposting apart from Swinton’s hair. Dialogue is sparse, conventional characterization all but nonexistent; it’s an avant-garde portrait of free-floating guilt, sustained for so long that I began to think the entire film might be in that radical idiom.

--Mike d'Anngelo, Onion AV Club. For the rest go here.

Awesome. Nice pictures Chris!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Thanks! I'll write up the movies I see, at least briefly as time goes on. Last year I saw and reported on 17 films in Paris. It's not going to be like that this time and I'm going to get more sunshine and eat more good food.

Today I saw LA BALLADE DE L'IMPOSSIBLE/NORWEGIAN WOOD directed in Japanese by Anh Hung Tran (of VERTICAL RAY OF THE SUN), from a novel by Haruki Murakami, a long, slow, beautiful, at times quite erotic film about desperate young loveL.

Did I miss your review of "Midnight in Paris" or haven't you posted it yet? I just read David Germain's review (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/...night_in_paris) and found it very curious. My wife and I saw the last Allen film (at my insistence) found it moralizing and profoundly unfunny. I understand this one has some great performances. I like the idea of going back to 1920's Paris (time travel) but Owen Wilson's country-twain delivery, I hear, disappointed many. Does he ever speak any differently than he does in any movie? Still, the harking back to "funnier" Allen films makes me want to catch this one. What did you thnk? I'll be watching.

David Denby, The New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...i_cinema_denby

Nothing in local theaters worth mentioning, except commercial outtings like Bridesmaids and Thor... Have fun in France. Looking forward to your delicious renditions.
    Last edited by cinemabon; 05-16-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

I have not seen it yet. It has been very crowded in the evening and also I was going to see it with some friends. The review will appear here when I see it, most likely. Thanks for the links, but I don't think I'll look at reviews till I see it. I saw Manohla Dargis' and excerpts of some of the French ones. The Allociné rating is 4.3 -- super-high. They like Woody and they like Paris, and the movie has the Cannes imprimatur having been its opening night film.

I've heard it referred to as Woody Allen's Manhattan for Paris. I'm curious. Did you see "Tree of Life" yet? The reviews are all over the place! Variety loved it. Entertainment Weekly was among those who "booed" the work.
    Last edited by cinemabon; 05-16-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

No chance for me to see those yet. Soon, though, they will be available. TREE OF LIFE as well as the Dardennes' THE KID ON THE BIKE both open in Paris the 18th. I don't know what "Manhattan for Paris" means. Both these films may have already shown at Cannes; I know THE KID ON THE BIKE has. I'm not at Cannes though. I can only see what opens in Paris and besides that, I have not been going to movies nonstop the way I did last year. I'm trying to enjoy Paris itself and the nice weather.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast