Thread: Kubrick news

Threaded View

In the Kubrick set, his wife/artist widow Christiane says that Stanley would have embraced the Blu-Ray format.
    There is no doubt about the sound and picture quality- it is superb.
    Chris you're right that VHS was a great format.
    Less stoppages, they lasted for years (with fairly minimal loss of picture quality), and like you say, very rarely did they break.
    Unless you winged a copy of Days of Thunder at a wall. LOL
    Super VHS was particularly durable and had a great picture. Industrial quality VCR's back in the day.

I hesitated for the longest time to embrace the regular DVD format let alone Blu-Ray. I had a nice collection of vhs tapes in the 90's that I had spent a small fortune on. I didn't enjoy the idea of the whole works being obsolete just because of a plastic disc.
    It also took me forever to embrace Blu-Ray. I finally had to admit defeat when I saw a friend's home theatre system with a Blu-Ray player.
    It was all over but the cryin'.
    Now I'm *slowly* building my own home theatre. I'm not loyal to any particular brands, either. On base, capitalism offends me but it isn't all THAT weird. Especially when it comes to cinema. :)

DVD's will last a long time as long as you don't bang them up.
    If you can keep them cool and dry and free from people's greasy mitts, they should last a long time.
    Don't leave 'em in the back window of your car on a hot summer day and don't spill shit on 'em, unless you don't give a damn.

I've started my collection of Blu-Ray titles. Even if this format vanishes in the future like all the others I look at it like evolution. You can have a tangible DVD library you can be proud of, even when the format goes bye-bye.
    They're the new film cans.
    I like it because you are getting studio/estate approved editions.

Someone who would only want a ripped copy or a burned copy or a pirated copy or ANY copy of Kubrick's films is a fucking idiot.
    You buy the REAL DEAL or go to hell Son.
    You can't call yourself a fan with ripoffs and imitations.
    Last edited by Johann; 07-08-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd