Thread: Nyff 2011

Hybrid View

Nyff 2011

INDEX OF LINKS TO REVIEWS

4:44 Last Day on Earth (Abel Ferrara 2011)
    Artist, The (Michel Hazanavicius 2011)
    Carnage (Roman Polanski 2011)
    Corpo Celeste (Alice Rohrwacher 2011)
    Dangerous Method, A (David Cronenberg 2011)
    Descendants, The (Alexander Payne 2011)
    Dreileben (Christian Petzold, Dominik Graf, Christoph Hochhäusler 2011) [NYFF Special Events]
    Footnote (Joseph Cedar 2011)
    George Harrison: Living in the Material World (Martin Scorsese 2011)
    Goodbye, First Love (Mia Hansen-Løve 2011)
    Kid with the Bike, The (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne 2011)
    Le Havre (Aki Kaurasmäki 2011)
    Loneliest Planet, The (Julie Loktov 2011)
    Martha Marcy May Marlene (Sean Durkin 2011)
    Melancholia (Lars von Trier 2011)
    Miss Bala (Gerardo Naranjo 2011)
    My Week with Marilyn (Simon Curtis 2011)
    Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (Nuri Bilge Ceylan 2011)
    Pina (Wim Wenders 2011)
    Play (Ruben Östlund 2011)
    Policeman (Nadav Lapid 2011)
    Separation, A (Asghar Farhadi 2011)
    Shame (Steve McQueen 2011)
    Skin I Live In, The (Pedro Almodóvar 2011)
    Sleeping Sickness, The (Ullrich Köhler 2011)
    Student, The (Santiago Mitre 2011)
    This Is Not a Film (Jaafar Panahi 2011)
    Turin Horse, The (Bela Tárr 2011)
    We Can't Go Home Again (Nicholas Ray 1972/2011)

Today press releases for the Nyff 2011 began with the following. This will begin the comments and links thread for Filmleaf's 2011 New York Film Festival coverage. The reviews thread begins here.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

PRESS RELEASE

THE FILM SOCIETY OF LINCOLN CENTER announces
    the North American Premiere of Roman Polanski’s CARNAGE
    as Opening Night Gala selection
    for the 2011 NEW YORK FILM FESTIVAL

New York, NY, July 29, 2011 - The Film Society of Lincoln Center announced today that Roman Polanski’s CARNAGE will make its North American Premiere as the Opening Night film for the upcoming 49th New York Film Festival (September 30 – October 16).

"From KNIFE IN THE WATER (which screened at the first edition of NYFF in 1963) to REPULSION to THE TENANT, Roman Polanski has shown himself to be an absolute master at making the most restricted spaces come to dramatic life. In CARNAGE, aided by four remarkable performances, he has reached a new pinnacle in his already extraordinary career," says Richard Peña, Selection Committee Chair & Program Director, The Film Society of Lincoln Center.

Based on Yasmina Reza’s “God of Carnage”, the 2009 Tony Award-winner for Best Play, CARNAGE follows the events of an evening when two Brooklyn couples are brought together after their children are involved in a playground fight. Produced by Said Ben Said, the Sony Pictures Classics release stars Academy Award winners Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz and Academy Award nominee John C. Reilly.

Commenting on the Opening Night Selection, Rose Kuo, Executive Director, The Film Society of Lincoln Center, said, "We are delighted to kick off the festival with a quintessential New York story featuring superb performances from a quartet of the finest actors working today. The film will certainly provoke the kind of discussions about contemporary issues that guarantee a memorable night."

The 17-day New York Film Festival highlights the best in world cinema, featuring top films from celebrated filmmakers as well as fresh new talent. The selection committee, chaired by Peña also includes: Melissa Anderson, Freelance Critic; Scott Foundas, Associate Program Director, The Film Society of Lincoln Center; Dennis Lim, Editor, Moving Image Source & Freelance Critic; and Todd McCarthy, Chief Film Critic, The Hollywood Reporter.

General Public tickets will be available September 12th. There will be an advance ticketing opportunity for Film Society of Lincoln Center Patrons and Members prior to that date. For more information visit www.Filmlinc.com/NYFF or call 212 875 5601.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 10-14-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Another press release from the FSLC.

[In part]

THE FILM SOCIETY OF LINCOLN CENTER announces
    the addition of Two Special Gala Presentations
    for the 2011 NEW YORK FILM FESTIVAL
    with David Cronenberg’s A DANGEROUS METHOD
    and Pedro Almodovar’s THE SKIN I LIVE IN

New York, NY, August 15, 2011 - The Film Society of Lincoln Center announced the first-time addition of two Galas to join the Opening, Centerpiece and Closing Night Galas for the upcoming 49th New York Film Festival (September 30 – October 16) with David Cronenberg’s A DANGEROUS METHOD set to screen on Wednesday, October 5 and Pedro Almodovar’s THE SKIN I LIVE IN on Wednesday, October 12.

"We’re delighted to be welcoming David Cronenberg to the festival for the first time and to be welcoming back one of the NYFF’s closest friends, Pedro Almodovar,” says Richard Peña, Selection Committee Chair & Program Director, The Film Society of Lincoln Center. “It’s a special pleasure to introduce our audiences to exciting new work by two of contemporary cinema’s most challenging artists.”

For more information go to the FSLC website here

Almodovar and Croonenberg will be available to the press in connection with these films and events.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Another NYFF thread!
    woo-hoo!

Bring the CARNAGE!!!!!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Yes! I'm ready and curious to find out what the other selections will be.

So far we now know:

MAIN SELECTIONS

David Cronenberg’s A DANGEROUS METHOD
    Roman Polanski's CARNAGE
    Pedro Almodovar's THE SKIN I LIVE IN
    Simon Curtis' MY WEEK WITH MARILYN

MASTERWORKS SERIES (including in part)

Japanes classics from Nikkatsu Corporation
    William Wyler's BEN HUR
    Nicolas Ray's WE CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN

Nicolas Ray in YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN

I'll be seeing Lars Von Trier's MELANCHOLIA in a preview on the West Coast so it doesn't have to be included, but it may be

The full lineup will be announced next week.

For currently available information about the NYFF see the Filmlinc page for it here.

The P&I screenings will probably begin around the week of Sept. 12th.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-17-2011 at 01:40 PM.

I am interested in any specifics about the Ray film, in which he plays himself. His students edited a version to show at Cannes '73 but Ray didn't like it. He re-edited the footage himself in '76 but it is unclear whether he completed the process to his satisfaction.

Criterion released a box of Nikkatsu films as part of its Eclipse series. It's called Nikkatsu Noir. I wonder if NYFF will show titles other than the ones in this boxset.

WE CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN: The film has been restored by EYE Film Institute Netherlands and reedited in collaboration with Ray's widow by someone I know who was a student and longtime friend of Ray and appears in the film. Ray himself never finished the reediting. The new version will premiere at Venice, and this will be its American premiere. More about this will be found on the Ray website here.

I don't know what other Nikkatsu titles will be shown. The complete Nyff program is to be released net week and you will probably find out then.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.