Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: National Gallery of Canada

The scholars and art historians don't like to mention van Gogh's alcoholism. But it's there.

Amazing about Alain Renoir. That's living history right there. No wonder your English is bulletproof.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I'd gladly credit my teachers for any skill I have there. I had good ones.

I just read an interview with Jan Harlan, Stanley Kubrick's brother-in-law and producer.
    In it he says that Kubrick's films gain appreciation over time, decades even, like Vincent Van Gogh, who only ever sold one painting to his brother Theo.
    In Eyes Wide Shut you can see Alice Harford wrapping a coffee table art book of Van Gogh at one point, the eyes of Vincent's self-portrait staring right at the audience.
    Duplications of van Gogh's Sunflowers can be seen in a painting in the kitchen, just above a tub of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!
    Last edited by Johann; 08-27-2012 at 02:40 PM.

You would find a link! But I don't think we can say Kubrick never sold a ticket, or got a dollar to use shooting a film. I reckon he was self-supporting.

No- the connection with Van Gogh is that he wasn't appreciated in his own time.
    Kubrick still isn't, to my mind.
    People say they appreciate him but I have to look hard to find it.

By the way, I received a message from Matthew Modine on facebook. I wrote to him and he replied, encouraging me to explore his new application for his Full Metal Jacket Diary- an astonishing new online resource.

Who says Facebook sucks? The ones who don't have a clue, that's who.

A doc once seemed to suggest that Modine is a down to earth guy, living in NYC and into ecology. I've liked him since Vision Quest, and remember him in Short Cuts and in the TV series Weeds in which he's a wonderfully obnoxious right wing developer. Good for you. Of course Full Metal Jacket put him for a while among the truly anointed. A classic role. It can be hard to move beyond such a role.

A friend of mine loves Vision Quest. Thinks it's his best movie.
    Short Cuts is great. Matthew hasn't had the really meaty roles you would think Full Metal Jacket would garner him.
    But then again, Ryan O'Neal's career never recovered from Barry Lyndon either. Hollywood is a strange town.
    At least Chris Nolan knows how good he is.
    Modine is also a great photographer.

Right, Nolan did give him a reboot. Modine's not done yet.

I went to the Van Gogh: UP CLOSE exhibit, and it was a very personal experience. So personal, all I can say is that it seemed spiritual in the gallery. And no, I wasn't high. LOL

Starry Night wasn't there, as apparently New York refused to let it leave the city.
    I think insurance was too high, but that's just a guess...
    44 other great works were there, and some were dull. Yes dull. Some seem like paintings you'd see in any hotel. Others are very distinctive and bright, with a certain attraction that I can't really explain in words.
    It was just really pleasant to be among these paintings.

I went to Montreal that weekend too, on a mission. The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts is an Amazing place to check out.
    Imagine my happiness in seeing the Napoleon Bonaparte exhibit, complete with his actual hat, shirt, boots, accoutrements and palacial belongings- the bust of Josephine is STUNNING! They had his gold clocks, portraits in ornate frames, paintings, chairs, crystal vases, etc. Just an Awesome discovery for me. Ben Weider owned all of it. It was his exhibition. Simply Amazing.
    I took photos of it all- they said I was allowed as long as I removed the flash. I just stumbled on this exhibit. I didn't even know they had it. I was almost freaking out. And it was FREE. yep. No charge. In fact, all exhibits except brand-new ones were free.
    So if you want culture, get your ass to Montreal Quebec. It is the World Champ. I also saw The Cult perform an unbelievable show at Metropolis (the same place the new Premier had her victory party ruined by a psycho murderer).

Picassos, Monets...you get the idea. 5 separate buildings comprise the museum, and each property is surrounded with impressive works of Art

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123