Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earliest film memory?

Earliest film memory?

Let's hear all the stories of the first film you remember seeing.

My mom took me to see On Golden Pond when I was 7. I sat still through the whole thing-her orders- she had seen it already! She said "You pay attention-this is an important story!" I remember it like it was yesterday.
    I subsequently remember most of my cinema trips: (dating myself)

King Kong Vs. Godzilla
    Superman II
    Flash Gordon (w/ Max von Sydow)
    First Blood
    E.T.
    Grease 2
    Goonies
    The Ice Pirates (w/ Robert Urich! jealous, huh?)
    The Man with Two Brains
    Moscow on the Hudson
    Gremlins
    Ghostbusters
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Those were good times.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-30-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

The first film I recall seeing was actually on television. I was about 5, and it was "This Island Earth" (apparently I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a kid - but I can't really recall it)

I remember "This Island Earth" scared the dickens out of me. Thinking about it now it was probably responsible for my love of SF.

"Mysterious Island" is the first movie I remember. I was terrified out of my wits by the giant bees and a huge ostrich (or something).

I also remember being really scared by "Two On A Guillotine" with Connie Stevens, Dean Jones and Cesar Romero. There's a dream sequence in which Connie's being buried alive in a casket with a window. It was filmed in Panavision, in which I had never seen a film presented. To this day, I get a flashback when I see a film's presented in Panavision, with its greenish tint. I'm not kidding. Geez, with all my frights, it's a wonder I like movies at all.

Fortunately, there was "Lady And The Tramp" and "Mary Poppins" so all was well.

Re: Earliest film memory?

Originally posted by Johann
    Let's hear all the stories of the first film you remember seeing.
    How about hearing from the old guy.

I cannot actually remember which was first, but I do still think fondly of Saturdays in the early 1940s at the old Walnut Park theatre in Portland, Oregon. Those were the days when there was always a cartoon, and for the matinees on Saturdays we had serials like Superman, Dick Tracy, Captain Midnight, and the like (and Flash Gordon long before Van Sydow). How many of the rest of you remember serials? We really looked forward to them, and we loved trying to figure out how the hero would escape the weekly cliffhanger.

I remember many Abbott and Costello flicks, Hop Along Cassidy, Roy Rogers — all that B stuff. But I also remember Sergeant York, The Sands of Iwo Jima, and other patriotic flicks. Then, too, there were some of those great Disney animations (on first release). I especially remember Pinocchio, Fantasia, and Bambi.

That was also before TV had taken hold, and there were newsreels and special subjects like Time Marches On (very much like the News on the March sequence from Citizen Kane, which I do not remember seeing at that time). I remember seeing a rerun of The Gold Rush with my folks at a drive-in movie house.

The first foreign film I ever saw was in the early 50s — Don Quixote, projected in 16mm at a bookstore in Nelscott, Oregon, not far from where I have now returned in retirement.

Now, does that date me?

It dates you, but I would kill to have seen those serials "as they happened"- you know, waiting a week to see what's next. (I've always thought I was born too late)
    Why doesn't some filmmaker convince a studio to try a serial? I would go to the multiplex once a week (at a discounted price?) to see some long running piece of entertainment.
    One hour installments would be perfect!

I bought the 1940's Batman & Robin serial two-tape vhs set and was impressed by the starkness of the series. Low budget sets, time dragging storyline, etc. but really engaging. Cheesy costumes & dialogues, but hell, I'll watch that before I'll watch "Friends". God I hate that show.

Any more stories? Interesting to hear what shaped your young minds...

Any more stories? Interesting to hear what shaped your young minds...
    Johann--

Batman and Robin. Wow! I'll have to look into that. I still remember the series, but vaguely.

I do have some other early memories, and they were not far from where you live. My mother was Canadian, and her father and brothers worked in the coal mines out of Hillcrest, Alberta. We spent summers with them. The little town of Hillcrest was about a two mile walk along the edge of the Frank Slide to a little town called Bellvue--the nearest movie house. I remember walking that pathway with my cousins, 15 cents in hand (a dime for the movie and a nickel for popcorn). In Canada there were many of the same movies, but also more from England. I especially remember seeing the English comedian, Alastair Sim as Sergeant Bingham, the comic sidekick, in the Inspector Hornleigh series.

I erred on my first memory. It was not Time Marches On. The series was called The March of Time.

For some reason I envision you sitting with crossed legs smoking a pipe, wearing a smoking jacket & bunny slippers-and a copy of Sherlock Holmes in hand... ;)

Even though I saw all the "blockbusters": Raiders, Star Wars, Superman, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, et al, The first time I got REALLY excited about the movies was Rambo. First Blood is a very real film for a kid to see. You feel the injustice inflicted on John J.

When we went to the drive-in to see Part II, I was more wired than C-3PO. I had to remember to WATCH the movie I was yapping so much. Rambomania was all my rage after that.. I got the action figures, the cartoons, the sticker books, the toy uzi, the whole shebang. Kind of cheesy now, but hell, if I ever have a son, as soon as he's 6-7 yrs old, he's having a rite of passage: The Rambo Trilogy

FilmWolf Guest

Earliest Film Memory...

It would have been when I was around 8 or 9 years old (1970/71) and my mother, being that she probably couldn't find a sitter at the time, took my two younger sisters and I to the old Uptown Theatre (which is sadly long gone) to see a rerelease of "Gone With The Wind".

I remember being entranced by the color and by the costumes (the scene where Clark Gable looks up the stairs and sees Vivian Leigh for the first time has remained stuck in my mind) and I recall feeling a little sad during the parts where the Civil War was raging, because those pretty homes were being destroyed and that those people would never be able to have those wonderful parties anymore (yes folks, the Civil War really WAS all about the North destroying the South's ability to throw weekend barbecues...*lol*)

My earliest memories of watching films on television made for both sides of a very unusual "coin". There was the perennial TV favorite "The Wizard of Oz" (I always cried during the scene where Dorothy told her friends goodbye prior to leaving Oz) and the 50's sci-fi classic "The Blob", which NEVER failed to scare the heck outta me, because this was one monster (unlike the growling Wolf Man or the shuffling Frankenstein Monster) that you couldn't hear sneaking up on you!...

FW
    Last edited by FilmWolf; 12-17-2002 at 11:56 PM.

Bunny slippers?

For some reason I envision you sitting with crossed legs smoking a pipe, wearing a smoking jacket & bunny slippers-and a copy of Sherlock Holmes in hand... ;)
    Bunny slippers? Hhmmm! I may see what Santa brings this year, but I don't have any right now. I like the idea of the pipe, but, alas, I do not smoke.
    I imagine you with a cup of black Kenyan coffee and a close renewable supply. How on earth could you have seen all the films you mention? Amazing for a young man (by comparison), but a phenominal viewer. Just don't catch celluloid anemia.
    …and have a happy holiday.

I live by my credo:

Martin Scorsese said

"THE ONLY CURE FOR WATCHING TOO MANY FILMS IS MORE FILMS"

Why is it that if you read 4 books a day they call you a scholar, but if you watch 4 films a day they call you a fanatic?

All the best for the holidays, gentlemen & rogues....
    Last edited by Johann; 12-25-2002 at 01:37 AM.

Re: Earliest Film Memory...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FilmWolf
    [the old Uptown Theatre (which is sadly long gone)

Ah, the Uptown. I grew up in that theatre (as well as its sister, the Riviera, across the street). I cannot tell you how many movies I saw there. I used to go every Saturday afternoon during the mid-Sixties with all my friends to the double (occasionally triple) feature. I also saw "The Ten Commandements" for the first time there ("So it shall be written, so it shall be done") as well as "The Sound Of Music".

As for the Riviera, it was where my mother took me to see "Cleopatra" and where I saw "2001 A Space Odyssey" for the second time. (The first was at the Cinestage in that wonderful format Cinerama.)

About a mile north was the Bryn Mawr theatre. If you could wait (and wait and wait) EVERYTHING played there. I went to the last show (Robert Zemeckis' "Used Cars") and cried real tears after it closed.

First film memory

The first televised film I remember was an ABC Sunday Night Movie presentation of "Live and Let Die" a decent Roger Moore outing as 007. The first Beta video tape I watched repeatedly was "The Great Escape" recorded off some Chicago station. "Star Wars" was the first theatrical movie I vividly remember. I the line was so long someone ordered a pizza and ate it by the time we moved. For a young kid, That was weirdly memorable.

Remembering Star Wars

OK. Here's another one that dates me. It's not one of my early memories, but was stirred up by your first theatrical memory, stevetseitz.

I had no idea what STAR WARS was to become, and was not particularly interested. However, my high school age son, and my junior high daughter talked me into taking them to see it. I had promised, so even though I had the flu, I took them. At the theatre I took my medication and was stoned through most of it. By the time it was over, I was back on earth and able to drive home safely.

A couple of years later my kids got me to take them to a preview of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. There was such a good crowd at the theatre that the theatre manager invited everyone to stay to see the regular feature -- DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID. I have a particular aversion to Steve Martin, so they had to talk me into staying. I loved that flick, but I still don't think much of Steve Martin (I know. Most people think he's actually funny.).

I have a "Raiders" story too!

Back when I was a know-nothing youth, I had little interest in who directed what film, in fact I scarcely knew what made a film a good film beyond the basic human aesthetic response to what I was seeing. This was my state when I wandered into the theater hoping to see "Superman II", much to my dismay it was sold out and I had to settle for a little film called "Raiders of the Lost Ark" WOW! How lucky was I? "Raiders" was an awesome flick while "Superman II" was only so-so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast