Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Oscar Presictions

I will grant you, for the sake of discussion, and peace, that this ain't a rant from you, just a....condemnation, criticism, debunking, a calumny, a criticism; not a eulogy but a dyslogy.

A lot of people agree with you. Los Angeles Times columnist Patrick Goldstein wrote “Winfrey has done good work in the world, but that’s not enough to merit an Oscar.” However, this is a humanitarian award that is given out every year, and it's not even a part of the main ceremony.

What do you get the woman who has everything? The Motion Picture Academy anounced Wednesday that Oprah Winfrey will receive this year's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, an honorary Oscar for her charitable work. Winfrey was nominated for her acting work in The Color Purple, but never won a competitive award from the academy. James Earl Jones and makeup artist Dick Smith will also get honorary awards for lifetime achievement. The statues will be handed out [at] a separate event from the Oscars telecast in February.
    Read it at The Hollywood Reporter
    --The Daily Beast.

Since you have granted in your last post that she has done a lot of good for a lot of people, why not give her this award? I'm just asking.

The past recipients of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award since they began giving it out are [from Wikipedia]:

29th: Y. Frank Freeman
    30th: Samuel Goldwyn
    32nd: Bob Hope
    33rd: Sol Lesser
    34th: George Seaton
    35th: Steve Broidy
    38th: Edmond L. DePatie
    39th: George Bagnall
    40th: Gregory Peck
    41st: Martha Raye
    42nd: George Jessel
    43rd: Frank Sinatra
    45th: Rosalind Russell
    46th: Lew Wasserman
    47th: Arthur B. Krim
    48th: Jules C. Stein
    50th: Charlton Heston
    51st: Leo Jaffe
    52nd: Robert Benjamin †
    54th: Danny Kaye
    55th: Walter Mirisch
    56th: M.J. Frankovich
    57th: David L. Wolper
    58th: Charles "Buddy" Rogers
    62nd: Howard W. Koch
    65th: Audrey Hepburn † / Elizabeth Taylor
    66th: Paul Newman
    67th: Quincy Jones
    74th: Arthur Hiller
    77th: Roger Mayer
    79th: Sherry Lansing
    81st: Jerry Lewis[3]
    84th: Oprah Winfrey

Is her name really so out of place in that list? Why? Because she's one of the only women? Because she's a billionarire? Surely being a billionaire doesn't disqualify one from being a humanitarian. Dough is the currency of doing good. As you can see, a number of the recipients are industry insiders, non-performers, or performers not primarily known for their film work. What do you have to be to get this award? Mother Teresa? Would you not say if it was given to the Dalai Lama that he didn't deserve it? That he didn't need it? What we can say is that this award is given out by the insiders to the insiders, because "Unlike the Academy Award of Merit, the nomination and voting for this award are restricted to members of the Board of Governors of AMPAS."

You did just say:

she does a lot of good things for a lot of people
    Well then? Isn't that a humanitarian?

Another line:
    When she built her schools in Africa EVERY PERSON on the planet had to know about it.
    That applies pretty well to Mother Teresa. Mother Teresa's humility was fake; Oprah doesn't pretend to have it. Now that's a moral question: does a doer of good works have to be in every way an admirable person? Or can the works speak for themselves? Haven't there been saints who did some pretty bad stuff at some point in their lives? Haven't some saints been pretty weird individuals? Is Oprah a worse role model than Bob Hope? Frank Sinatra?

You also said: .
    Yeah, you've done a lot of good charity work. Bravo. Kudos. All the best to you for such goodwill toward your fellow man.
    Just go away and be content you "changed the world" by giving away cars and interviewing the cast of Jersey Shore when Snooki got punched out.
    Thanks for that.
    You saved the Earth.
    But Oscars are for people with talent in the FILM BUSINESS.
    I think you're being a little mean, here,, but as I said, you're far from alone. Plenty of people right in Hollywood think Oprah does not need this statuette. But your last line ("Oscars are for people with talent in the FILM BUSINESS." Not this one. It's not for movie accomplishment. As for how her huminarian activity stacks up to others on the list for this award, I think she might do pretty well.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-10-2011 at 04:20 PM.

:)

I've said my piece. If it's mean then it's mean.
    I know it's blasphemy to criticize Oprah.
    Let's indeed move on to other Oscar predictions/matters.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

You were being mean, but mean is okay. In fact mean is fine. At times. Not always. Don't waste your mean on this. It's more that you're making too much fuss about nothing. These things are silly, if you ask me. But if they were giving it to me, I'd be delighted. Or, I could refuse it, and gain more publicity. But I need publicity. Oprah doesn't. You're right about that. But why give her even one billionth more publicity by making a fuss about her getting this nonsense self-congratulating award.

Oprah has done some really awesome things- more awesome things than I've done. I can admit that.
    She has used her wealth for good, like Bono and many others.
    The problem I have is with her ego.
    You nullify your awesomeness when you want pats on the back all the time.
    Most people don't notice Oprah's ego. Most people bypass it.
    It sticks out to me. It's very obvious to me.
    Nobody ever calls her on it because she's a good person, because she's "saintly".

I agree with you: my mean should be reserved for true scum.
    :D
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Perhaps she's receiving a Jean Hersholt humanitarian award, in which case, not a statuette or honorary Oscar, usually given as a lifetime of achievement award for work in the film industry.

Update: according to the internet, it is the JH Award. Recently changed, no longer handing out his bust but an actually Oscar statuette. Oh, well....

Academy Awards rules and eligibility requirements are posted here (PDF required) http://www.oscars.org/awards/academy...84aa_rules.pdf
    Last edited by cinemabon; 12-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12