Thread: Oscars 2012

Hybrid View

EXTREMELY LOUD is about a little boy who is borderline Asperger's -- mild autism -- running all around the boroughs of New York searching for a meaningless clue. He is essentially avoiding feeling anything. And that cuts against making us feel anything, even with the intro showing people jumping from the Twin Towers and a series of desperate phone messages from Tom Hanks. It didn't jerk my heartstrings. I guess I was paying too much attention.

It's Too Bad Extreme Loud Doesn't Get It's Own Thread

It's disappointing to me that this lofty and reputable Forum would treat Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close like a stepchild of films and not discuss this movie on a thread of its own, instead of a sidenote under 2011 Oscar topic. Personally, this movie so far is in the running for my top pick for 2011 Best Movie and I'm extremely glad that this movie was incredibly close and making Best Picture Oscar nomination that I feel it deserves.

As a social worker who has worked with grief issues and also children with disabilities, I found myself transfixed by the powerful, emotive portrayal of the devastating impact of random, sudden death syndrome can be. This movie captured both the painful psychological intensity, the almost insane anger and the need to either close up or hyper-actively seek out some explanation. There was no manipulation in this movie, except for real life and how humans are manipulated by their experential perceptions and their resulting emotions. This movie is a powerful and important contribution to the human experience and worthy of time-tested standard in its depiction of a major incident in human history.

Too many critics are seeking some lofty, artistic overarching unifying theory of 9/11 which is likely lost in the physical parallel of string theory and quantum mechanics. This movie doesn't have to rely on fancy photograph cinematography or gimmicks but good acting and dialogue to move the audience that is able to fathom the depths of this movie in its raw form. Sometimes, simplicity and straight-forward ordinary human "everyman" characters count for more than the sometimes sophisticated and convoluted character acting required in films.

This superb presentation offers us a much needed human look into some of the most important elements of being alive even as some of die.

It's disappointing to me that this lofty and reputable Forum would treat Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close like a stepchild of films and not discuss this movie on a thread of its own, instead of a sidenote under 2011 Oscar topic.
    It does have a thread of its own. You just needed to scroll down a bit. The thread has had 122 hits. We can discuss the movie there, if you like

http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.p...Daldry-2011%29

Oops, Again

This is my second oops on this Website and the second in the past month. I'm getting too old.

The movie is clearly needed by some.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

BAFTA nominations

Oscar handicappers may find the BAFTA nominations interesting. The following BBC America comments point out where the Oscars have followed or departed from BAFTA final choices. A full list of the BAFTA nominations will be found here. The BAFTAawards ceremony will air on BBC America February 12, 2012. Following are the nominations in key categories with comments from a BBC America website.

Best Film
    Of the past five winners of the Best Film Academy Award, three have also been BAFTA winners, the exceptions being The Queen in 2007 (the Oscar went to The Departed), and Atonement in 2008 (beating No Country For Old Men). The nominees are:
    The Artist
    The Descendents
    Drive
    The Help
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Best Actor
    Again, three out of the past five winners have been a direct match, Mickey Rourke’s astonishing work in The Wrester took BAFTA gold over the Academy-preferred Sean Penn in 2009, and Colin Firth getting his BAFTAs in early for A Single Man in 2010. He won both the following year for The King’s Speech. The BAFTA nominations are:
    Brad Pitt – Moneyball
    Gary Oldman – Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    George Clooney – The Descendents
    Jean Dujardin – The Artist
    Michael Fassbender – Shame

Best Actress
    Here we’re on even safer ground, with four of the past five winners being a direct match. The sole exception being Carey Mulligan, who won the BAFTA for her role in An Education, where Sandra Bullock won the Oscar for The Blind Side.
    Bérénice Bejo – The Artist
    Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady
    Michelle Williams – My Week With Marilyn
    Tilda Swinton – We Need To Talk About Kevin
    Viola Davis – The Help

Best Supporting Actor
    And once again the two academies are in almost total accord, with Geoffrey Rush’s win last year for The King’s Speech being the sole exception over the past five years. Christian Bale won the Oscar for The Fighter.
    Christopher Plummer – Beginners
    Jim Broadbent – The Iron Lady
    Jonah Hill – Moneyball
    Kenneth Branagh – My Week With Marilyn
    Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Ides of March

Best Supporting Actress
    Had Melissa Leo not won the Academy Award last year, and allowed Helena Bonham Carter to sweep in regally and swipe it for her performance as The Queen Mother in The King’s Speech, there would be a clean sweep of accord between our two nations. So close, and yet…
    Carey Mulligan – Drive
    Jessica Chastain – The Help
    Judi Dench – My Week With Marilyn
    Melissa McCarthy – Bridesmaids
    Octavia Spencer – The Help

Best Director
    Here, we’re on shakier ground again, with only three out of five shared winners. Last year, David Fincher won the BAFTA for The Social Network, whereas the Oscar went to Tom Hooper for The King’s Speech. And back in 2007, Paul Greengrass won the BAFTA while Martin Scorsese took the Academy Award.
    Michel Hazanavicius – The Artist
    Nicolas Winding Refn – Drive
    Martin Scorsese – Hugo
    Tomas Alfredson – Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Lynne Ramsay – We Need To Talk About Kevin

Elsewhere in the BAFTA nominations sheet, there are a couple of noteworthy categories that have no equal at the Oscars:

Outstanding British Film
    My Week With Marilyn
    Senna
    Shame
    Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy
    We Need To Talk About Kevin

Outstanding Debut By A British Writer, Director or Producer
    Attack The Block – Joe Cornish (Director/Writer)
    Black Pond – Will Sharpe (Director/Writer), Tom Kingsley (Director), Sarah Brocklehurst (Producer)
    Coriolanus – Ralph Fiennes (Director)
    Submarine – Richard Ayoade (Director/Writer)
    Tyrannosaur – Paddy Considine (Director), Diarmid Scrimshaw (Producer)

Some critics have already noted that Olivia Colman has been cruelly snubbed for her astonishing performance in Tyrannosaur, either as Best Supporting Actress or even Best Actress. So if you want our tip for a future awards dead cert, it is her.

--January 30, 2012.

I've decided not to watch the Oscars this year.

I wish luck to Robert Richardson and Martin Scorsese and hope that Tree of Life wins something.
    Other than that, I couldn't care less about the other nominees. Yawnfest.

The contributions to cinema were few and far between in 2011...
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd