Originally posted by Kurinai No one in Hollywood comes even close to Tarkovskiīs geniuosness. I understand, people have to earn their living and making movies is a good way to do that. But movies are suppose to entertain in some cases, but in some cases: films are works of art!But that does not happen in USA. All about the money. Good thing I live in Europe where cinema is apreciated as an ART form.
To some extent I do blame Hollywood for monopolizing screens here and there with their product. However, to say America makes no "art films" smells of stale cultural-supremacy bullcrap.
Apparently you are exposed to a narrow slice of a big pie. Quality films are being made worldwide, including in the USA. Films you often have to seek out since they are not heavily advertised. Have you seen the works of Lynch, Scorsese, Jarmusch, Todd Haynes, Darren Aronofsky and Todd Solondz, to name a few? Ever heard of Goldberger's Trans, De Felitta's Two Family House or Gordon Green's George Washington? I'm only scratching the surface here. I would venture to say that China, Iran, even South Korea produce as many great films as any nation in Europe(with the possible exception of France).
Just for fun: Solaris+Stalker+A. Rublev+Sacrifice+Nostalghia VS Taxi Driver+Last Temptation of Christ+Goodfellas+Raging Bull+Age of Innocence+Kundun+... I would say:"toss up".
Youth is a valid excuse for ignorance, but arrogance AND ignorance make a very unattractive combo. Look deeper before forming an opinion. Forget what you think you know. Then you may create something of value.