Thread: Cannes 2012, May 16-27

Threaded View

Cannes 2012, May 16-27

The official 2012 Cannes poster

FROM MUBI:

CANNES 2012: THE ANTICIPATION
    It’s just a little over two weeks away now, the main event of any year in cinema: The Cannes Film Festival. With the full lineup unveiled, we’ve been tracking advance word on each of the films in the Official Selection, collecting images, the occasional trailer, the works. Abbas Kiarostami, Alain Resnais, Hong Sang-soo, Michael Haneke — they’re all right here. Keep up with all the news coming out of the Cannes Film Festival on our Facebook page, too!

As I track a festival at the tail end of the film festival year, the year is about to begin. I may be in Paris for a while, but I won't be at Cannes, and won't be around for the whole time, but I can report on it some. First off Wes Anderson's new movie is the opener, and there is what looks like it may be a serious movie that has Zac Efron in it (Lee 'Precious' Daniels' The Paperboy.) David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis will be featured, and Jean-Pierre Dardenne will preside over the jury. Xavier Dolan, whom Cannes loves, has a new film about a transexual. Jacques Audiard has a new one called Rust & Bone, a smaller quieter one this time, maybe, but with some intense changes, with Marion Cotillard in a key role at the center of the changes. I don't know if I'll like it, but Audiard's films have impressed me so far, each one more than the last. Michael Haneke produces variable results, but he is an awesome director. His new one has at the center of it a couple in their eighties, former music teachers, and their daughter. It stars Isabelle Huppert, Jean-Louis Trintignant, William Shimell (of Certified Copy), and Emanuelle Riva (of Hiroshima Mon Amour).
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.