Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Best movies of 2012 so far

NEW YORK TIMES BEST LISTS.

Let's get back to 2012 BEST LISTS. I'd like to report the New York Times' three chief critics' 2012 llists, which were published yesterday (Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012). Click on the names to go to the whole articles with accompanying discussion, for each critic.

AMOUR and ZERO DARK THIRTY were the winners. On all three top ten lists. LINCOLN and THE MASTER on two top ten lists. Only Manohla lists HOLY MOTORS- points from me for that. MOONRISE KINGDOM doesn't do as well as I would have thought. Notably absent here: LOOPER. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK only on one list. I'm pleased that THE GRAY got one top ten listing, and regret having neglected that myself. I'm glad RUST AND BONE fared well. DJANGO only once.

Scott is doing like me, somewhat, with a separate documentaries list, though I don't think five is enough. Like Oscar who thought my referring to COMPLIANCE as a "documentary," I am jarred somehow by having THIS IS NOT A FILM persistently listed as one. It is more than and different from a documentary.

MANOHLA DARGIS.
    Top ten, alphabetically:
    AMOUR
    THE DEEP BLUE SEA
    THE GATEKEEPERS
    HOLY MOTORS
    THE MASTER
    MOONRISE KINGDOM
    ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA
    SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN
    SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    ZERO DARK THIRTY
    The rest of the best, alphabetically: AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY, ARGO, AUGUST AND AFTER, AUTO=COLLIER xv, BARBARA, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, BERNIE, BROOKLYN CASTLE, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, DEPARTURE, FOOTNOTE, THE HOUSE I LIVE IN, THE KID WITH A BIKE, LIFE OF PI, MAGIC MIKE, A MAN VANISHES, MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, MISS BALA, NAPOLEON OSLOW, AUGUST 31ST, THE PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS, RUST AND BONE, SKYFALL, STARLET, THIS IS NOT A FILM, THE TURIN HORSE, VIEW FROM THE ACROPOLIS.

A.O. SCOTT
    1. AMOUR
    2. LINCOLN
    3. BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    4. FOOTNOTE
    5. THE MASTER
    6. ZERO DARK THIRTY
    7. DJANGO UNCHAINED
    8. GOODBYE, FIRST LOVE
    9. NEIGHBORING SOUNDS
    10. THE GREY
    HONORABLE MENTION
    ARGO, BARBARA, BRAVE, CONSUMING SPIRITS, THE DEEP BLUE SEA, MOONRISE KINGDOM, PITCH PERFECT, RUST AND BONE, TAKE THIS WALTZ, THE TURIN HORSE.
    TOP FIVE DOCUMENTARIES:
    1. THE GATEKEEPERS
    2. THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES
    3. HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE
    4. THIS IS NOT A FILM
    5. THE CENTRAL PARK FIVE

STEPHEN HOLDEN
    1. LINCOLN
    2. AMOUR
    3. ZERO DARK THIRTY
    4. BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    5. ARGO
    6. ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA
    7. ELENA
    8. HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE
    9. THE INVISIBLE WAR
    10. THE SESSIONS
    11. RUST AND BONE
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-20-2012 at 02:10 PM.

FILM COMMENT'S 50 BEST FILMS OF 2012.

This is complied from a poll of film critics and other film-related people chosen by the FSLC monthly. (FAREWELL MY QUEEN just won a major French best-of-the-year award; here, it dcomes in as #47. Due to the makeup of the polled group, a number of items score high that mainstream audiences will not even have heard of -- TABOO, for instance, and THE TURIN HORSE. I like that HOLY MOTORS is at the top.

1. Holy Motors
    Leos Carax, France/Germany
    2. The Master
    Paul Thomas Anderson, U.S.
    3. Moonrise Kingdom
    Wes Anderson, U.S.
    4. This Is Not a Film
    Jafar Panahi & Mojtaba Mirtahmasb, Iran
    5. Amour
    Michael Haneke, France/Germany/Austria
    6. The Turin Horse
    Béla Tarr, Hungary/France/Switzerland/Germany
    7. The Kid With a Bike
    Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, France/Belgium
    8. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
    Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey
    9. Lincoln
    Steven Spielberg, U.S.
    10. Zero Dark Thirty
    Kathryn Bigelow, U.S.

11. Tabu
    Miguel Gomes, Portugal
    12. The Deep Blue Sea
    Terence Davies, U.K.
    13. Bernie
    Richard Linklater, U.S.
    14. Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Benh Zeitlin, U.S.
    15. Cosmopolis
    David Cronenberg, Canada/France
    16. Barbara
    Christian Petzold, Germany
    17. The Loneliest Planet
    Julia Loktev, U.S./Germany
    18. Silver Linings Playbook
    David O. Russell, U.S.
    19. Oslo, August 31st
    Joachim Trier, Norway
    20. Neighboring Sounds
    Kleber Mendonça Filho, Brazil
    21. Django Unchained
    Quentin Tarantino, U.S.
    22. Almayer’s Folly
    Chantal Akerman, France/Belgium
    23. Magic Mike
    Steven Soderbergh, U.S.
    24. Argo
    Ben Affleck, U.S.
    25. Attenberg
    Athina Rachel Tsangari, Greece
    26. The Color Wheel
    Alex Ross Perry, U.S.
    27. Rust & Bone
    Jacques Audiard, France/Belgium
    28. Killer Joe
    William Friedkin, U.S.
    29. Looper
    Rian Johnson, U.S.
    30. Life of Pi
    Ang Lee, U.S.
    31. A Man Vanishes
    Shohei Imamura, Japan
    32. Skyfall
    Sam Mendes, U.S.
    33. The Gatekeepers
    Dror Moreh, Israel
    34. Elena
    Andrei Zvyagintsev, Russia
    35. Haywire
    Steven Soderbergh, U.S.
    36. Damsels in Distress
    Whit Stillman, U.S.
    37. Abendland
    Nikolaus Geyrhalter, Austria
    38. Two Years at Sea
    Ben Rivers, U.K.
    39. How to Survive a Plague
    David France, U.S.
    40. Keep the Lights On
    Ira Sachs, U.S.
    41. A Burning Hot Summer
    Philippe Garrel, France
    42. Miss Bala
    Gerardo Naranjo, Mexico
    43. Footnote
    Joseph Cedar, Israel
    44. Compliance
    Craig Zobel, U.S.
    45. Alps
    Yorgos Lanthimos, Greece
    46. Kill List
    Ben Wheatley, U.K.
    47. Farewell, My Queen
    Benoît Jacquot, France/Spain
    48. In Another Country
    Hong Sang-soo, South Korea
    49. The Dark Knight Rises
    Christopher Nolan, U.S.
    50. The Day He Arrives
    Hong Sang-soo, South Korea
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-20-2012 at 02:09 PM.

FILM COMMENT'S BEST UNDISTRIBUTED FILMS OF 2012 LIST. (From the same poll of the same chosen list of film writers and others.)

50 BEST UNDISTRIBUTED FILMS OF 2012
    BY ON 12.13.2012
    * denotes self-distribution

1. Our Children
    Joachim Lafosse, Belgium/Luxembourg/France/Switzerland
    . Memories Look at Me
    Song Fang, China
    3. First Cousin Once Removed
    Alan Berliner, U.S.
    4. When Night Falls
    Ying Liang, South Korea/China
    5. Bwakaw
    Jun Robles Lana, Philippines
    6. Gebo and the Shadow
    Manoel de Oliveira, Portugal/France
    7. differently, Molussia
    Nicolas Rey, France*
    8. Perret in France and Algeria
    Heinz Emigholz, Germany
    9. The Extravagant Shadows
    David Gatten, U.S.*
    10. Three Sisters
    Wang Bing, France/Hong Kong
    11. Dormant Beauty
    Marco Bellocchio, Italy/France
    12. Far From Afghanistan
    John Gianvito, Travis Wilkerson, Jon Jost, Minda Martin & Soon-Mi Yoo, U.S.*
    13. Camille Rewinds
    Noémie Lvovsky, France
    14. Greatest Hits
    Nicolás Pereda, Mexico/Canada/Netherlands
    15. small roads
    James Benning, U.S.*
    16. Everybody in Our Family
    Radu Jude, Romania/Netherlands
    17. Shepard and Dark
    Treva Wurmfeld, U.S.
    18. Hannah Arendt
    Margarethe von Trotta, Germany
    19. Araf: Somewhere in Between
    Yesim Ustaoglu, Turkey/France/Germany
    20. Thursday Through Sunday
    Dominga Sotomayor, Chile/Netherlands
    21. Goodbye
    Mohammad Rasoulof, Iran
    22. After Lucia
    Michel Franco, Mexico
    23. Reconversão
    Thom Andersen, Portugal/U.S.
    24. Tiger Tail in Blue
    Frank V. Ross, U.S.
    25. Traveling Light
    Gina Telaroli, U.S.
    26. Sun Don't Shine
    Amy Seimetz, U.S.
    27. Postcards from the Zoo
    Edwin, China/Germany/Hong Kong/Indonesia
    28. 3
    Pablo Stoll, Uruguay/Argentina/Germany/
    Chile
    29. The Invisible Ones
    Sebastien Lifshitz, France
    30. Everyday
    Michael Winterbottom, U.K.
    31. Twilight Portrait
    Angelina Nikonova, Russia
    32. Age Is…
    Stephen Dwoskin, France/U.K.
    33. The Strawberry Tree
    Simone Rapisarda Casanova, Italy/Canada/Cuba
    34. Here and There
    Antonio Mendez Esparza, Spain/U.S./Mexico
    35. Louise Wimmer
    Cyril Mennegun, France
    36. Outrage Beyond
    Takeshi Kitano, Japan
    37. Back to Stay
    Milagros Mumenthaler, Argentina/Switzerland
    38. The Final Member
    Jonah Bekhor & Zach Math, Canada
    39. Kinshasa Kids
    Marc-Henri Wajnberg, Belgium/France
    40. The War
    James Benning, U.S.
    41. Nights with Theodore
    Sébastien Betbeder, France
    42. The Minister
    Pierre Schöller, France
    43. Celluloid Man
    Shivendra Singh Dungarpur, India
    44. Gangs of Wasseypur
    Anurag Kashyap, India
    45. The Dead Man and Being Happy
    Javier Rebollo, Spain/Argentina/
    Franc
    46. The Invader
    Nicolas Provost, Belgium
    47. Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang
    Laurence Cantet, France/Canada
    48. Donoma
    Djinn Carrenard, France
    49. Me and You
    Bernardo Bertolucci, Italy
    50. Miss Lovely
    Ashim Ahluwalia, India
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-19-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Yeah, I've been following the conversation. It is true that places like Hong Kong and Great Britain have films and games with even more violence than we do, yet have one tenth the violent crimes. We can look to our liberal gun laws and the over abundance of firearms in our society as the leading difference.

Still, I abhor violence in films. I have no taste for it and even cringed Thursday night when animated characters were beheaded (Hobbit).
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Indeed. You put your finger on the causes of gun deaths in the US. The beheading in HOBBIT was not of an animated man.

My Best Movies of 2012 list, for now (Dec. 18, 2012)

Here is where my Chris Knipp Best Movies of 2012 So Far are below. Suggestions welcome. I am going over lists to see what I've forgotten. This does not include documentaries because I make a separate list of those.

1. HOLY MOTORS (Léos Carax)
    2. MOONRISE KINGDOM (Wes Anderson)
    3. AMOUR (Michael Haneke)
    4. THE MASTER (Paul Thomas Anderson)
    5. OSLO, AUG. 31ST (Joachim Trier)
    6. SISTER (Ursula Meier)
    7. RUST AND BONE (Jacques Audiard)
    8. THE DEEP BLUE SEA (Terrence Davies)
    9. DJANGO UNCHAINED (Quentin Tarantino)
    10. COSMOPOLIS (David Cronenberg) + SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (David O. Russell)

This could change when I see THE IMPOSSIBLE and ZERO DARK THIRTY or something else I've missed so far

Including my English language list would add

LOOPER (Rian Johnsonj),LIFE OF PI (Ang Lee),
    probably
    FLIGHT (Richard Zemeckis),
    maybe
    THE SESSIONS (Ben Lewin) and
    BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD

Including my ten best foreign list would add
    BREATHING (Karl Markovics 2011)
    DAY HE ARRIVES, THE (Hong Sang-soo 2011)
    ELENA (Andrei Zvigentsev)
    I WISH (Hirakazu Koreeda)
    MISS BALA (Geraldo Naranjo)
    NEIGHBORING SOUNDS (Kleber Mendoça Filho 2011)
    and
    RAID, THE: REDEMPTION (Gareth Evans 2012)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-21-2012 at 12:48 PM.

JOHN WATERS' BEST MOVIES OF 2012 LIST. This is from ArtForum. Interesting personal note: I saw BELOVED with John Waters! He bought his ticket right in front of me at the Lumiere Theater in San Francisco (I didn't talk to him). This reminds me of BELOVED, which I had forgotten all about. I'm a fan of Honoré but this one was a disappointment. Not to Waters. Good list, as usual personal. I hate Compliance. I have not seen the Seidl films. Views on them seem to differ. i haven't seen the Abramovic doc. Probably should be seen.

"1 The Deep Blue Sea (Terence Davies) The agony and passion of obsessive love and a broken heart are so well wrought here that you’ll wish you were suicidal over someone who didn’t love you back.

2 Paradise: Faith (Ulrich Seidl) Fassbinder died, so God gave us Ulrich Seidl. I laughed uproariously throughout this horrifying portrait of a religious fanatic, and if there’s something the matter with you, you will, too.

3 Paradise: Love (Ulrich Seidl) Middle-aged women sex tourists can be just as piggish as their male counterparts. But when the sexually exploited begin to exploit back, who’s the victim? The audience, that’s who, and we deserve it.

4 Amour (Michael Haneke) Misery is really in this year. “Hurts! Hurts! Hurts!” yells out the dying elderly wife to her longtime-caretaker husband, and ticket buyers will agree. Makes Saw seem like a romantic comedy.

5 Killer Joe (William Friedkin) The best Russ Meyer film of the year—only it’s not directed by him. Gina Gershon, you shocked me raw!

6 Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin) Directed as if the film crew snuck aboard a Weather Channel boat during Hurricane Katrina, kidnapped the skipper, hijacked the storm chasers’ equipment, swam ashore, and made a boldly original movie.

7 Compliance (Craig Zobel) A “based on real life” horror story that will make you want to regurgitate both the fast food and the blind allegiance to authority served up in this restaurant setting. Ann Dowd, who plays the ChickWich franchise’s manager, is by far the best actress of 2012.

Matthew Akers, Marina Abramović: The Artist Is Present, 2012, digital video, color, sound, 105 minutes.

8 Marina Abramović: The Artist Is Present (Matthew Akers) Maybe the most perfect documentary ever made about an artist. Abramović stares back at the public with a magic-trick power that will get you high and make you cry.

9 Beloved (Christophe Honoré) Another crackpot Umbrellas of Cherbourg homage by the French director who adores unrequited love, cigarettes, Catherine Deneuve, and especially Louis Garrel. Yes, it’s L-O-N-G, but I wished the characters would have kept on singing in the theater even after the projectionist had gone home for the night.

10 The Imposter (Bart Layton) A whodunit documentary that is better than any mystery novel. When Frédéric Bourdin, a twenty-three-year-old teen imposter and scam-artist supreme, dances alone on camera in his prison cell looking like an exhibitionist Sirhan Sirhan, you’ll want to hide your children and lock the doors.

John Waters recently hitchhiked alone across the USA. He is currently writing a book on his experience, titled Carsick, to be published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux next year."

--ArtForum.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-19-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Did you speak to him? John Waters brought his film, "Pink Flamingos" to Columbus, Ohio back in the early 1970's and invited all of the students from film school (where I was attending). The theater was packed and Waters introduced the film. They even handed out "barf bags" which amounted to small paper bags stamped with a "Pink Flamingo" logo and the title of the film. I had mine for a long time but I'm certain its probably gone with the wind. No one puked in the audience but many people, me included, gagged.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Interesting personal note: I saw BELOVED with John Waters! He bought his ticket right in front of me at the Lumiere Theater in San Francisco (I didn't talk to him).
    I grew up in Baltimore though. My mother knew his mother. They both volunteered at Friends of the Towson Library. And my mother and I went to see most of Waters' later, more mainstream, barf bag-free films at The Senator, the theater on York Road where they premiered which also happened to be near our house.

John Waters' Ten Best lists are models or originality, and he's well informed too (as you must be to be original). Who else would list JUSTIN BIEBER: NEVER SAY NEVER along with HADEWIJCH? I'ts best to read his 2012 list along with his comments -- so here it is along with his 2011 and 2010 lists. It says he lives in Baltimore and New York, but he has apparently started living in San Francisco too. I'm not the only person who has sighted him there. Imagine the balls of hitchhiking across the country at his age, alone. If you don't know this, I can assure you he writes very well.

ART FORUM FILM BEST OF 2012

ABRAMOVIC FILM STILL FROM ARTFORUM

John Waters

1 The Deep Blue Sea (Terence Davies) The agony and passion of obsessive love and a broken heart are so well wrought here that you’ll wish you were suicidal over someone who didn’t love you back.
    2 Paradise: Faith (Ulrich Seidl) Fassbinder died, so God gave us Ulrich Seidl. I laughed uproariously throughout this horrifying portrait of a religious fanatic, and if there’s something the matter with you, you will, too.
    3 Paradise: Love (Ulrich Seidl) Middle-aged women sex tourists can be just as piggish as their male counterparts. But when the sexually exploited begin to exploit back, who’s the victim? The audience, that’s who, and we deserve it.
    4 Amour (Michael Haneke) Misery is really in this year. “Hurts! Hurts! Hurts!” yells out the dying elderly wife to her longtime-caretaker husband, and ticket buyers will agree. Makes Saw seem like a romantic comedy.
    5 Killer Joe (William Friedkin) The best Russ Meyer film of the year—only it’s not directed by him. Gina Gershon, you shocked me raw!
    6 Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin) Directed as if the film crew snuck aboard a Weather Channel boat during Hurricane Katrina, kidnapped the skipper, hijacked the storm chasers’ equipment, swam ashore, and made a boldly original movie.
    7 Compliance (Craig Zobel) A “based on real life” horror story that will make you want to regurgitate both the fast food and the blind allegiance to authority served up in this restaurant setting. Ann Dowd, who plays the ChickWich franchise’s manager, is by far the best actress of 2012.
    8 Marina Abramović: The Artist Is Present (Matthew Akers) Maybe the most perfect documentary ever made about an artist. Abramović stares back at the public with a magic-trick power that will get you high and make you cry.
    9 Beloved (Christophe Honoré) Another crackpot Umbrellas of Cherbourg homage by the French director who adores unrequited love, cigarettes, Catherine Deneuve, and especially Louis Garrel. Yes, it’s L-O-N-G, but I wished the characters would have kept on singing in the theater even after the projectionist had gone home for the night.
    10 The Imposter (Bart Layton) A whodunit documentary that is better than any mystery novel. When Frédéric Bourdin, a twenty-three-year-old teen imposter and scam-artist supreme, dances alone on camera in his prison cell looking like an exhibitionist Sirhan Sirhan, you’ll want to hide your children and lock the doors.

John Waters recently hitchhiked alone across the USA. He is currently writing a book on his experience, titled Carsick, to be published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux next year.

ART FORUM FILM BEST OF 2011

John Waters

1 The Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodóvar) A dark, twisted, beautiful, and, yes, funny shocker from the greatest director in the world. God bless you, Pedro Almodóvar!
    2 Mildred Pierce (Todd Haynes) This elegantly shot, pitch-perfect made-for-TV melodrama makes everyone who watches secretly yearn to be a woman with issues. The best period film in decades—period.
    3 Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (Jon M. Chu) I’m not kidding. A well-made doc that proves the Bieb was a child prodigy. Wait until you see Justin stick his head into the audience and shake his hair in 3-D. I screamed.
    4 Hadewijch (Bruno Dumont) In this grim, fiercely uncommercial movie, a fanatical Catholic young lady from a rich family hooks up with a handsome male Muslim terrorist, and together they blow up a commuter train. Love is strange, especially when God is involved.
    5 Kaboom (Gregg Araki) A sexy, well-written, end-of-the-world comedy that succeeds beyond all expectation. Doomsday never looked so hot.
    6 If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front (Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman) This sad documentary debates the regrets of radicalism as a pack of lunatic-kid tree huggers get caught up in frenzied activism and are suddenly accused by the government of terrorism.
    7 The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick) You’d think I’d hate this film, and I almost did—until I realized it’s the best New Age, heterosexual, Christian movie of the year.
    8 I’m Glad My Mother Is Alive (Claude and Nathan Miller) This beautifully acted French film is a tragic, harrowing warning to all adoptees: Finding your real-life birth parents isn’t always such a good idea.
    9 We Were Here (David Weissman) Half my friends died of AIDS, so this simple and painfully told doc on the disastrous epidemic’s effect on San Francisco is personal. If you don’t sob watching, maybe you should be dead too.
    10 Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Apichatpong Weerasethakul) A spooky, witty, never pretentious meditation on the otherworldly lust of ghosts and wild animals. Aren’t you glad art films don’t get test-screened?

John Waters is touring in December with his spoken-word act A John Waters Christmas.

FILM FORUM - JOHN WATERS - BEST FILMS OF 2010

John Waters

John Waters is a film director, author, actor, and photographer who lives in Baltimore and New York. His most recent book, Role Models, was published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux earlier this year.

1 Domain (Patric Chiha) My favorite movie of the year. A forty-year-old alcoholic aunt (played by Béatrice Dalle—“Betty Blue” herself!) and her gayish teenage nephew form a perversely close relationship by taking walks together. Lots of walks! So many walks you’ll be left breathless by the sheer elegance of this astonishing little workout.
    2 Enter the Void (Gaspar Noé) The best film ever about taking hallucinogenic drugs. Seizure-inducing title credits, cinematography that looks as if it were shot by a Gerhard Richter–influenced kamikaze pilot—even vagina cams. Gaspar, thank you. You’re my sweetheart.
    3 Buried (Rodrigo Cortés) The most excruciatingly painful date movie imaginable comes complete with a very smart feel-bad ending. See it with someone you hate.
    4 Ricky (François Ozon) A great special-effects movie, though there’s only one effect: a flying baby. If David Lynch and David Cronenberg had sex and one of them magically got pregnant, this film could be their offspring.
    5 Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work (Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg) Talk about granting access! Are you crazy, Joan?! If Jews went to confession, this film would be a sacrament.
    6 Jackass 3D (Jeff Tremaine) A scatological, gay, s/m, borderline snuff movie amazingly embraced by a wide, American blue-collar family audience. Isn’t Steve-O chugging down a glass of sweat collected from the ass-crack of an obese man and then vomiting at you in 3-D the purest moment of raw cinema anarchy this year?
    7 Life During Wartime (Todd Solondz) Paul Reubens (without a trace of Pee-Wee) is a suicidal ghost who’s still miserable, and Charlotte Rampling plays a bitter, self-loathing hotel hornball. Both performances will break your heart.
    8 Dogtooth (Yorgos Lanthimos) If your parents raised you into your teen years without ever once letting you out of the house and taught you that “outside” means climbing in the trunk of the family car and locking yourself in, are you in mental trouble? Hilarious, original, and very discomfiting, the way movies should be.
    9 Carlos (Olivier Assayas) I loved all five-plus hours of this French hymn to celebrity revolutionary–turned-mercenary Carlos the Jackal. He’s so sexy that even militant, left-wing German feminist terrorists give him head and his own hostages ask for his autograph.
    10 Mesrine (Parts 1 and 2) (Jean-François Richet) Four and a half more hours about another French criminal–folk hero–stud. Who’s badder? More butch? Cuter nude? Carlos or Jacques Mesrine? Why not a subtitled ten-hour “Freddy vs. Jason” combined sequel about both? In Sensurround, s’il vous plaît.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-19-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Other 2012 movies I want to remember or I wish I'd seen

I'll draw on these and maybe some others I'm forgetting to make up my final multiple lists. I'll add to this list and update it as I rememer

AV Club list (first half) this is based on:
    https://docs.google.com/a/theo.
    .. (This is in two installments, Jan-July and July-Dec. )

Their ongoing breakdown:
    https://docs.google.com/document/pub...Lxh8ZVKSEG9TpQ

Seen and liked a lot:
    Looper /Rian Johnson
    Goodbye First Love /Hansen-Love
    The Kid With a Bike/Dardennes
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    The Imposter
    Step Up to the Plate
    Barbara (Dec. 21 NYC release)
    This Is Not a Film /Panahi
    Photographic Memory / Ross McElwee
    Ruby Sparks
    Arbitrage
    Damsels in Distress / Whit Stillman
    Dark Horse / Solondz
    Declaration of War / Valérie Donzelli, Jérémie Elkaïm
    Middle of Nowhere
    Smashed
    Safety Not Guaranteed
    The Grey /Joe Carnahan
    Coriolanus /Fiennes [technically 2011]
    Chronicle / Josh Trank
    Bullhead
    The Day He Arrives / Hong Sang-so
    Farewell My Queen / Benoit Jacquot
    Art of Rap
    Wuthering Heights / Andrea Arnold
    The Well-Digger's Daughter / Daniel Auteuil
    Premium Rush (David Koepp)

Should see:
    The House I Live in
    Only the Young [def. must see]
    West of Memphis [another exonerated film<The Central Park Five]
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi
    Brave

Worst or most dissappointing of the year:
    Cabin in the Woods

The Camopaign
    The Dictator (Enough, already!)
    Easy Money (should have been better)
    Haywire
    Hyde Park on Hudson (smarmy humor, bad history)
    Rock of Ages
    The Pirates! Band Of Misfits
    Prometheus (promised so much)
    Jeff, Who Lives At Home
    Seven Psychopahts (should have been better)
    Take This Waltz

Favorite blockbusters:
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    The Hunger Games
    Skyfall
    Avengers

In a class of weirdness by itself:
    Cloud Atlas

People think it's trash, but it's meant to be, and it's entertaining:
    Paperboy
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-29-2012 at 02:18 PM.

So many good movies. Such riches!
    Good idea to post John Waters' lists. Great to find out he loves the new Mildred Pierce much as I do.

I'll keep in mind Mildred Pierce. Mean to re-wach Kaboom. I've seen everything else he mentions, except Jackass3D--not sure I've got the stomach for that though.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-19-2012 at 09:56 PM.

PETER STALEY IN HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE

Best documentaries of 2012

I love documentaries, and there are so many kinds and so many to choose from these days. The most important of 2012, I've decided - of the couple of dozen I can remember seeing - are HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE and THE CENTRAL PARK FIVE, but maybe the topic of global warming examined in CHASING ICE is more important still, for the future. It's hard to pick and choose when so many documentaries deal with important subjects, are so well researched, and are made with such a combination of passion and restraint. There are other strong ones. THE GATEKEEPERS and THE LAW IN THESE PARTS are powerful, revealing studies of Israel. THE IMPOSTER is superbly done. SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN is an amazing rediscovery of a lost rock star/singer-songwriter, so suspenseful. THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES is a shocker about American stupidity and materialism. Then there are smaller, more personal, often quite elegant films like STEP UP TO THE PLATE, about a great restaurant family in France (maybe perfect for a double bill with JIRO DREAMS OF SUSHI); or Alan Berliner's unrelleased documentary about his famous scholar cousin Edwin Honig's Alzheimer's, FIRST COUSIN ONCE REMOMVED, or Ross McElwee's delicate exploration of his relation with his difficult son and of his own not entirely responsible youth in France, PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY. The "Have Not Seen" list is of documentaries that from what I've heard are important or wonderful, in all the different categories. I'll have a Ten Best Documentaries list later. I've reviewed nearly all the ones in the first list and you can read my reviews by Googling "chris knipp" + name of film. Look for all these (if released) on DVD.

2012 DOCUMENTARIES LIST (alphabetical)
    5 Broken Cameras (Emad Burnat, Guy Davidi)
    Ai Wei Wei - Never Sorry (Alison Klayman)
    The Ambassador (Mads Brugger)
    Bill W. ( Dan Carracino, Kevin Hanlon)
    Black Power Mixtape: 1967-1975, The (Göran Hugo Olsson 2010)
    The Central Park Five / Ken Burns, Sarah Burns, David McMahon
    Chasing Ice (Jeff Orlowski)
    Crazy Horse / Frederick Wiseman
    Detropia (Heidi Ewing, Rachel Grady)
    Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey (unreleased)
    First Cousin Once Removed (Alan Berliner) (unreleased)
    The Gatekeepers (Dror Moreh)
    How to Survive a Plague / David France
    The Imposter / Bari Layton
    Informant / Jamie Melzer (unreleased)
    The Invisible War (Kirby Dick)
    The Law in These Parts (Alexandrowicz) (NYC)
    Neil Young Journeys (Jonathan Demme)
    Photograpic Memory / Ross McElwee
    The Queen Of Versailles (Lauren Greenfield)
    Searching for Sugar Man (Malik Benjelloul)
    Something from Nothing: the Art of Rap (Ice-T, Andy Baybutt)
    Step Up to the Plate (Entre les Bras, Paul Lacoste)
    This Is Not a Film (Jafar Panahi, Mojtaba Mirtahmasb)
    The Waiting Room (Peter Nicks)
    Woody Allen: A Documentary (Robert B. Weide) (PBS "American Masters" series -TV)

COOL POSTER FOR A VISUALLY COOL FILM

HAVE NOT SEEN
    Beware of Mr Baker (Jay Bulger)
    Bully (Lee Hirsch)
    The House I Live in (Eugene Jarecki)
    The Island President (John Shenk)
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi (David Gelb)
    Marina Abromovic: the Artist is Present (Matthew Akers, Jeff Dupre)
    Only the Young (Jason Tippet and Elizabeth Mims)
    Room 237 (Rod Ascher)
    West of Memphis (Amy Berg)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-20-2012 at 10:24 PM.

A.V. Club's 20 Best Movies of 2012 list.

The little IFC rrlease animation by Don Hertzfeldt (which I didn't even notice in NYC in Oct.-reviewed very briefly in the Times by one of their stringers) and the 2011 NYFF film The Loneliest Planet are odd, more "youthful" choices. (I'm pretty sure the A.V. writers are younger as a group than the regular print "critics circles"). A recent A.V. Club piece discusses the "bitter feud" between NY and LA critics, supposedly signaled by the LA group's snubbing Zero Dark Thirty in their top awards. The A.V. Club puts Amour, the LA Best Picture choice, down at number six. Don't know if comparing the LA List with the NY Film Critics Circle one will show any clear difference, except for two documentaries NY chose: as best first film, How to Survive a Plague is about ACT-UP, which was primarily a NY group, as best documentary, The Central Park Five, which involves a NYC crime. Maybe Looper, The Cabin in the Woods and even Killer Joe are also "younger," more "fanboy" choices. Some choices are drawn along age lines, as well as along mainstream vs. more cinephile lines. I try personally to straddle these categories. And I'm even sort of bicoastal, since I live on the West Coast but do some of my key movie viewing in NYC. The A.V. Club list includes paragraphs for each choice justifying and explaining it, which you should probably read, but I think you can read a lot simply into the bare choices.

1. The Master
    2. Zero Dark Thirty
    3. Moonrise Kingdom
    4. Holy Motors
    5. The Deep Blue Sea
    6. The Loneliest Planet
    7. Amour
    8. It's Such a Beautiful Day (Don Hertzfeld)
    9. Beasts of the Southern Wild
    10. Wuthering Heights (Andrea Arnold)
    11. The Cabin in the Woods
    12. Looper
    13. Life of Pi
    14. Lincoln
    15. Only the Young (Jason Tippet and Elizabeth Mims)
    16/ The Queen of Versailles
    17. Killer Joe
    18. Miss Bala
    19. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
    20 I Wish

A.V. Club, which does cover a lot of what comes out, has also provided its list of 20 "Worst Movies of 2012." I mut be doing something right, because I've only seen two of them: Hyde Park on Hudson, and The Paperboy. Both were in the New York Film Festival so you'll find my reviews of them in the Festival Coverage 2012 NYFF thread. I also disapproved of Hyde Park on Hudson's inclusion, but thought and still think the disapproval of Paperboy has been excessive. You'll find it at worst a guilty pleasure.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast