Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Films of 2002

Best Films of 2002

While I have only seen about 1/4 of the movies out in 2002, here's my list of by top 10 favorite movies that were released this year:Best Movies of 2002

1. One Hour Photo (August - Robin Williams)
    2. Frida (September - Salma Hayek)
    3. Insomnia (May - Al Pacino, Robin Williams)
    4. Death To Smoochy (March - Robin Williams)
    5. Mostly Martha (August)
    6. White Oleander (September - Alison Lohman, Robin Wright Penn, Michelle Pfeiffer, Renee Zellweger)
    7. Chicago (December - Not Even Seen Yet)
    8. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (April)
    9. Spirited Away (September)
    10. Birthday Girl (February- Nicole Kidman)
    11. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (Sandra Bullock, Ashley Judd, Ellen Burstyn, Maggie Smith)

I seem to like Robin Williams alot and Chicago without even seeing it.

Top Ten of 2002
    1) Rabbit-Proof Fence
    2) Bowling for Columbine
    3) The Pianist
    4) Gangs of New York
    5) Spider-Man
    6) We Were Soldiers
    7) Chicago
    8) About Schmidt
    9) Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    10) Minority Report
    Last edited by SinjinSB; 03-12-2003 at 03:56 AM.

Oh It'll be a great Christmas..

I'm so pumped for Gangs of New York. Can't wait to see some Day-Lewis butt-kickin'.

My favorites this year:

1. 8 Women (I hope this gets nominated for best foreign)
    2. Frida (no comment)
    3. Ararat
    4. Bowling For Columbine
    5. Igby Goes Down
    6. Heaven
    7. Punch Drunk Love
    8. Auto Focus
    9. 8 Mile (Yep, I thought this was pretty damn good)
    10. Goldmember (just for the mini-me thrashing scene)

Oh yeah, and "Jackass" was a quality film. Laughed my hole off...Where else are you gonna get Buck Owens and Public Enemy on the same soundtrack?
    Last edited by Johann; 12-17-2002 at 01:09 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Here's my list. Im hesitant to commit as there are a few things Id like to see before the end of the year (The Hours, Adaptation, Spider etc). A few festival screenings that I have left off for now as their actual release dates are in 2003, but had to include The Son as it's been released in Europe:

1. The Son (Jean Luc and Pierre Dardenne)
    2. Spirited Away
    3. Far From Heaven
    4. Fast Runner and Russian Ark (tie)
    5. Pumpkin
    6. About Schmidt
    7. Jackass
    8. Biggie and Tupac
    9. I am Trying to Break Your Heart
    10. Femme Fatale

Pumpkin- is that the Christina Ricci flick? It never got a theatrical release here in Canada (and if it did, it was a short run) but the DVD is available. (I'll pick it up because I have a thing for Christina-ever since Buffalo 66)
    About Schmidt looks fantasticaly funny- Jack is always good.
    And I've gotta see this "Spirited Away" I hear so much about.

Pumpkin>

Christina Ricci plays a sorority sister who falls for her community service project, a mentally-challenged guy named Pumpkin. Really funny and pretty complex. The director is constantly shifting the film's moral viewpoint. Check it out.

Spirited Away>

Yeah, its a must see. The greatest animator in Japanese history. He's quite a character too. He recently told some Japanese press that trying to make a better future for our children is a load of crap. Something like "children grow up to be awful adults, so im not thinking about their future". Anyway, really nice film.

PS just added Fast Runner and I am Trying to Break Your Heart to the list as well.

P

Originally posted by Johann
    And I've gotta see this "Spirited Away" I hear so much about.
    I saw the Japanese version. From one person I know who saw both, he says you should definitely try to see Japanese version.

Time and Money?

I haven't seen half the movies listed above/below. How do you people afford and find the time to go to all these movies? And where? Utah doesn't show all these films - Equilibrium was only shown in the top 20 markets which apparently Utah isn't one of them.

BigBadB Guest
    Well, the year of 2002 have brought some nice experiences in the movie theatres...
    My definitive favourite is Mies vailla menneisyyttä (The man with no past) by Aki Kaurismäki. Fantastic movie. No further comments needed. It was _the_ outstanding movie experience of the year. Not haven seen Two Towers yet :)

Other good films: One Hour Photo, Insomnia, and some more. And positively surprised by the latest Star Wars. Not too good but by far better than the last! The Yoda scene is worth it all!!

Yoda Kicks Butt!!

Originally posted by BigBadB

My definitive favourite is Mies vailla menneisyyttE(The man with no past) by Aki Kaurismäki. Fantastic movie.
    Agreed, this was a really good movie. Quite funny. At one point he is living in an old shipping container with a trusty dog and a jukebox. What a life! I wonder when this will be released in the US; I happened to catch it at a film fest.

Originally posted by tabuno
    I haven't seen half the movies listed above/below. How do you people afford and find the time to go to all these movies? And where? Utah doesn't show all these films - Equilibrium was only shown in the top 20 markets which apparently Utah isn't one of them.
    NY has a lot of stuff that comes through via festivals etc. But I think most of my favorites for this year were somewhat widely released. Which part of Utah are you in again?

You never get a second chance..

Seeing these films on the big screen is what prompts me to find the time.
    I only own DVD & VHS mats because I'm catching up on the history of film thru home video. There's no excuse why people shouldn't see films as they were originally intended.

NOTE: this message was for single people with no known commitments: children, mortgage, meaningful relationships, cats, dogs or other domestic pets (see section 5 re: large snakes & arachnids) and spend 8 hours a day immersed in film lore.

ArpHagenbach Guest
    2002 was hot as fuck:

1. Russian Ark
    2. The Fast Runner
    3. In Praise of Love
    4. Far From Heaven
    5. Time Out
    6. Millennium Mambo
    7. I'm Going Home / The Uncertainty Principle
    8. Spirited Away
    9. Merci Pour le Chocolat
    10. O Fantasma

Runner's up (no particular order): Solaris, Femme Fatale, Gangs of New York, Adaptation, Blade 2, Jackass, Trouble Every Day, What Time Is It There?, ABC Africa, The Happiness of the Katakuris, R Xmas, Devils on the Doorstep, How To Draw a Bunny, Murderous Maids

Over-rated: Talk To Her, Punch-Drunk Love, Bowling For Columbine, The Hours, The Pianist

Best of 2003? Spider, Unknown Pleasures/Platform, The Son, Love and Diane, two Matrix films...

Ricardo Guest
    ooh, I really loved these 5 films.

Men in Black 2
    Scooby Doo
    Resident Evil
    The Scorpion King
    Crossroads (go Britney!)

They really were fantastic.

<Awaits ironic response>

Ricardo Guest
    Originally posted by ArpHagenbach

Over-rated: Talk To Her, Punch-Drunk Love, Bowling For Columbine, The Hours, The Pianist

Best of 2003? Spider, Unknown Pleasures/Platform, The Son, Love and Diane, two Matrix films...

How can you say Talk To Her was over-rated. Why, I should take you down to the docks and sort you out a little.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast