Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best Films of 2002

You put it well. But not all young cineplex employees have a "it's just a movie" attitude. Some love movies and are eager to discuss them--in the better class of cineplexes, that is.

Originally posted by Johann
    Flowers of Shanghai- a must see for Barry Lyndon fans? Now I'm curious.
    I stand by my comment. Both transport you back in time to a rarified, stylized environment, maintain a luxurious pacing, and feature lighting that bathes everything in a soft burnt-orange tone.These comment written about Kubrick's film apply also to Flowers of Shanghai:"each shot framed as a lovely painting emphasizing the non-action of the period".
    By the way, I made a truly bizarre connection tonight. I was watching Griffith's Broken Blossoms and looking at Lillian Gish I realized how much Sheryl Lee looks like her. Then I realized Ms. Lee, In Twin Peaks:Fire Walk with Me, is also abused and murdered by her monster Dad.
    By the Way 2: I really felt uncomfortable, when watching this silent classic, with the racism in it. Not necessarily Anglos playing minority characters (the Chinese protagonist, an African extra), not a brute using racial slurs, but things like our innocent heroine naming her sweetheart "Chinky". This protagonist is solely known in the titles as... Yellow Man.

I'm upset that George Butler's documentary "The Endurance" was not nominated for best doc. feature this year.
    Johann, was it a regular theatrical release?

P.S. I hope my response to tabuno's post was appropriate. I thought it was a bit funny and not offensive but not sure.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 03-14-2003 at 09:23 PM.

Well I gotta check out Flowers of Shanghai NOW. That sounds right up my alley. The Endurance was not a wide release, but it should have been. (Like Bowling For Columbine) It played for a month at one of our art-houses. Awesome doc. It felt like I was on the expedition. (I would not have liked eating my dog to survive, tho.)

Yes, Griffith & the racism issue again. I was uncomfortable with Broken Blossoms as well. I believe the original title was "The Chink and the Girl" or something like that..Shame!!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Johann
    Well I gotta check out Flowers of Shanghai NOW.
    Overstock.com will mail a new dvd to you for $11.09. Deepdiscountdvd sold out but always worth checking out.

Yes, Griffith & the racism issue again. I was uncomfortable with Broken Blossoms as well. I believe the original title was "The Chink and the Girl" or something like that..Shame!!
    Exactamundo! Yet I am re-viewing his films. I saw 'em in a film hx class 20+ years ago. Johann, please lemme know if you have watched Birth, Intolerance, etc. on dvd. How is the quality of image? Did you like the restored Intolerance? Is the budget release of Birth from a good print? For example, I found the budget "Golem" dvd decent enough, but this is not always the case.

DVD silents

I have seen Birth of a Nation on DVD but not Intolerance. The restored Kino vhs was a specatcular copy. Highly recommended.
    The BOAN dvd was fine-it wasn't pristine, but I could tell the image was clearer than the vhs. The best restorations for silents that I have seen are Haxan:Witchcraft Through The Ages (Criterion-which I plan to buy soon), Foolish Wives and The Passion of Joan of Arc (also Criterion). I own Foolish Wives-which was restored BY HAND by Arthur Lennig- a historian and Stroheim expert. (It's expensive, but a must have imho)

I'm hoping to see G.W. Pabst's Pandora's Box released soon as well as Murnau's Sunrise- I heard a rumour that they are working on it.
    I love Pandora's Box: "ACHTUNG!- funny how you can always get whiskey on credit, but never bread!"
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

rocketrogerhood Guest
    Best Movie of 2002-Far from Heaven
    Runners up-Y Tu Mamá También
    -I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
    -Bowling For Columbine
    -Adaptation

Most Overrated-The Hours
    Runners up-Lord of the Rings
    -Good Girl
    - About Schmidt

1. AUTO FOCUS