Thread: Richard D Zanuck 1934-2012

Richard D Zanuck 1934-2012

For over a decade on this site we've spoke of directors (mostly), cinematographers, editors and writers but seldom do we mention producers, whose job is more or less to make certain the film is made. The job of the modern producer is a man or woman of many hats, pulling together teams of people from a variety of departments and making certain their projects are completed.

For four decades, Richard Zanuck carried out that task in the same tradition of excellence his father did as once head of Twentieth Fox Studio. Zanuck can probably be credited with giving Steven Speilberg his break into show business bankrolling his first two films, the first of which was a bomb but the second gave rise to the term "summer blockbuster" in the movie, "Jaws."

Like his father, Zanuck often stood out more than other producers probably because of his dynamic personality and because he loved the movie business and made himself available everywhere, at press conferences, interviews, and junkets. Nominated three times for an Academy Award, he finally took home the gold for "Driving Miss Daisy" and later received the Irving G Thalberg Award, usually given as a lifetime achieve to producers for excellence.

Zanuck passed away suddenly yesterday of a heart attack at the age of 77, the same age his father was when he died in 1979. Our thoughts of support go out to the Zanuck family for their loss. Here is a short list of films he produced:

Compulsion
    The Sound of Music
    Sugarland Express
    Eiger Sanction
    Jaws
    MacArthur
    Neighbors
    The Verdict
    Cocoon
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Rush
    Mulholland Falls
    True Crime
    Rules of Engagement
    Big Fish
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Planet of the Apes
    Road to Perdition
    Sweeney Todd
    Alice in Wonderland
    Clash of the Titans
    Dark Shadows
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Welcome back! Obviously one of the big Hollywood producers. Some very notable titles there. He will be missed.

OMG, Chris, NYC was soooo much fun. I've never been to New York in my life. We stayed for a week and did it all. I'm in love with New York. The airport totally sucked (pick any, both JFK and LaGuardia were terrible)... but as the song goes, "I'll take Manhattan..."

Good to be back. Now I need to get my butt into a movie seat and start watching some good stuff (hopefully). I watched the Woody Allen documentary yesterday. Excellent.

BTW - You are such a great writer. Ever consider publishing a book on film? If you did, I'd buy it. "The Art of Cinema" by Chris Knipp. You know art. You certainly know cinema. Why not?
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Glad you loved NYC. Do go back. JFK isn't so bad for me, going in and out on the E Train. Maybe that would help.

You obviously were energized.

Thanks for the encouragement, but I don't have a topic or a burning desire at the moment.

Another loss to cinema. Zanuck is a huge name in movie history.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd