Thread: SFFS names new director Ted Hope

SFFS names new director Ted Hope

Since Bingham Ray died in January only a few months after succeeding the late Graham Leggett as director of the San Francisco Film Society, a successor has officially been named, longtime American indie film producer Ted Hope. He like Bingham Ray comes from NYC.

TED HOPE

"The film world - be it in content, creation, business or audience - has changed significantly over the last twenty years and we all must change with it...It's time that the film industry looked not just to Hollywood but instead to the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, and San Francisco Film Society is a major artistic voice positioned right in the heart of this vibrant cultural location." -Ted Hope

The San Francisco Film Society is elated to announce that Ted Hope, one of the film industry's most respected and prolific figures, has been named executive director, effective September 1, 2012. He joins us at an exciting moment in our 55-year history, during a period in which we have recently experienced our greatest successes to date across each of our main program areas: exhibition, education and filmmaker services.

Ted Hope has been recognized personally with numerous awards and accolades, and his films have received some of the industry's most prestigious honors including two Academy Award nominations for The Savages(2007), two Academy Award nominations and five BAFTA nominations for 21 Grams(2003) and five Academy Award nominations for In the Bedroom(2001). He also holds a record at the Sundance Film Festival: three of his 23 Sundance entries (American Splendor[2003], The Brothers McMullen[1995] and What Happened Was...[1994]) have won the Grand Jury Prize; no producer has won more.

As generative as he is with movies, Hope is no less so in business; in 1990 he cofounded with James Schamus the production and sales powerhouse Good Machine, which was sold to Universal in 2002. Known within the industry for having an extraordinary ability to recognize emerging talent, Hope has more than 20 first features to his credit, including those of Alan Ball, Todd Field, Michel Gondry, Hal Hartley, Nicole Holofcener and Ang Lee, among others.

In addition to his efforts in independent film production, Hope is one of the most influential and followed voices in independent film on social media, with multiple blogs and more than 20,000 Twitter followers. He has curated an indie film screening series for the last three years, most recently at The Film Society Of Lincoln Center. A prolific writer on issues facing the film industry and film culture, Hope's work has appeared in numerous media outlets.
    I wrote detailed recollections and gave biographical information about Graham Leggett, but I can't find where it is on Filmleaf now. For my information on my website, go here.

http://www.chrisknipp.com/writing/vi...php?f=1&t=1865
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-18-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Excellent. Very positive stuff.
    The "film world" has definitely changed in the last 20 years, I totally agree.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd