Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nyff 2012

You could be right on that scene, but I would not get into editing myself. It's the most original, audacious, and cinematic film of the year. Did you see what Armond White said in his recent "Better Than" list post?
    Holy Motors > Cosmopolis
    Leos Carax’s dreamy limousine kineticism shamed Cronenberg’s oft-entrancing limousine stage drama. Carax parked and bloomed. Cronenberg parked then harangued.
    Oh well. Did you see COSMOPOLIS? Notice he does say "entrancing." And I think it was shot in Toronto. It's the opposite of HOLY MOTORS. Carax is folliowing his own lights while Cronenberg follows DiLillo's novel like a classical musical score.
    The next trip will be ON THE ROAD. Reports are unenthusiastic but I'm hoping for an edge of nostalgia, if Garrett Hedlund is as good as they say he is and Viggo nails Bill Burroughs.
    Maybe I should repost the NYFF HOLY MOTORS review on the General Forums for you and others to comment.

I haven't seen Cosmopolis but I want to see the Freud/Jung Cronenberg more.

Holy Motors is absolutely awesome. It's original, it's thought-provoking, visually amazing and so interesting it hurts.
    Pretty small snobby crowd at the TIFF Bell Lightbox where I saw this yesterday.
    We got an eyeful and earful of ENFANT TERRIBLE Leos Carax, a man to watch.
    I've never seen any of his films. This was the first. And it rocked my world with its originality and just sheer ballsiness.

Entrancing movie. Mr. Oscar's "assignments" (acting jobs or personal fantasy?- all arranged by major domos like Celine, his former dancer chauffeur)- WOWZA!
    He says he's does these assignments "for the Beauty of the Act" when asked if he enjoys his work anymore.

All in all, it's very hard to recommend this to the lay man.
    You need to like esoteric and avant-garde cinema in order to appreciate this bad boy, because it is an ART SHOW all the fucking way.
    I don't even really want to describe it to anyone. Just see the fucking thing. And tell me what YOU make of it. Ha HA HA.
    Last edited by Johann; 01-17-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

The trailer for ON THE ROAD was played in front of Holy Motors and The Master and I am not impressed.
    They made shit up. I could tell. And the WORDS are lost, which is the whole point of the book. The words MAKE On the Road.

I read a preview review (Norman Wilner for NOW!) that said this movie wants the viewer to get a contact high, not involve it in the Majesty of Kerouac's words.
    That's criminal. I refuse to see it. On The Road needs to be done GRITTY, not HIPSTER.
    Hipsters can choke on their own shit.
    Last edited by Johann; 01-17-2013 at 11:07 AM.

The only thing I would add about HOLY MOTORS right now is my favorite sequence: the CHRIST sequence.
    Where Mr. Oscar dons a red balaklava with barbed wire on it (crown of thorns?) and shoots a banker point-blank in the face.
    That was absolutely INCREDIBLE.
    I can't shake that scene out of my head. It was beautiful.

Good news:

Matteo Garrone: REALITY

Opens on Friday, March 15, 2013 at the Angelika Film Center. My review after seeing it there is here.

This is the Cannes film I most missed at the 2012 NYFF, and now I see why it was not included: it had this US release coming. REALITY won the Grand Prix at Cannes. D'Angelo included it in his top ten at Cannes at 7th place with a for him high rating of 66. I am looking forward to it, might make it to a preview and should be able to provide a review on or about NYC opening day. It opens in LA March 22, with a national release to follow. REALITY is presented by the adventurous new small distributor Oscilloscope Laboratories.

Luciano (Aniello Arena) runs his small fish stand in the town square with effusive charm, doing his best to support his family. A natural-born performer, Luciano never misses an opportunity to entertain his customers and countless relatives. One day, at the urging of his children, he tries out for “Big Brother,” where they believe he’ll be a hit. After a successful first audition, he eagerly awaits the call that he and his excited clan are convinced will come and rocket him to fame and fortune. As time passes with no word from the producers, Luciano becomes increasingly paranoid and consumed by this ever-elusive dream.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-04-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Olivier Assayas' Something in the Air/Après mai

Its US theatrical opening day in NYC and LA Friday is May 3, 2013. Landmark Theaters will show it. When it opened in Paris in November 2012 reviews were very positive: Allociné press rating is 3.8 based on 24 reviews. Les Inrockuptibles said it is "simply a superb film." Others noted that it is composed of vignettes and lacks forward thrust or a single impulsive theme to make it cohere and this is its great flaw. Nonetheless it's sweeping, romantic and cinematic; one remembers the tall, thin, mop-head boy who survives everything in the way of coming-of-age epics and becomes a filmmaker -- and a spectacular fire at a country estate where young people are wildly partying.

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Alain Resnais's YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET (2012) is in theatrical release now (June 11, 2013) in New York.

Filmleaf NYFF 2012 review here.

First Cousin Once Removed

Alan Berliner's detailed study of his famous, gifted cousin Edwin HOnig and his gradual disintegration from Alzheimer's disease, which premiered at the 2012 NYFF is scheduled to debut on HBO September 23, 2013. The film has shown at many festivals and received the Grand Prize for Best Feature Documentary at IDFA (International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam) in 2012.

MONDAY, SEPT. 23 (9:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, two days after World Alzheimer’s Day.

Other HBO playdates: Sept. 23 (4:50 a.m.), 26 (9:30 a.m.) and 28 (12:45 p.m.), and Oct. 1 (12:30 p.m.), 6 (11:30 a.m.) and 10 (5:00 p.m.)

HBO2 playdate: Sept. 25 (8:00 p.m.)

Javier Rebollo: The Dead Man and Being Happy (2012)

This Spanish-Argeintine film about a dying hit man traveling across the Argentine outback had a theatrical opening of sorts at MoMA in NYC Tues., Oct. 1, 2013. The NY Times reviewer, Nicolas Rapold, liked it better than I did.
    Stories of humanized hit men make for a small but well-trod patch of screenwriting terrain, but “The Dead Man and Being Happy” quickly transcends that territory to become a beguiling road movie
    But he acknowledges that at the end "Still, something about the movie falls through the cracks. . ."

The fact is it's a bit of a slog.

P.s.: Alan Berliner's First Cousin Once Removed has the highest critical ratings of any current film presently, Metacritic 96. Oct. 1, 2013.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456