Cloud Atlas

Directed by Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski

This is a story told for writers by writers about many lives woven into the tapestry of life whose paths converge throughout history and lead to important changes that affect the outcome of human existence. If you think that is a mouthful, “Cloud Atlas” is an ambitious and tremendous undertaking on a grand and epic scale for the writer, for the directors (as there are more than one) and for the core group of actors who portray multiple roles in multiple settings and whose superior level of acting elevates the art form to a significantly higher level. This isn’t Oscar level of acting. This is more like Nobel Prize level, where the challenges were many and complex, the roles so different, and the actors pull off each one with great conviction.

The plot of the story is complex and yet simple – all that we know about ourselves – the things that make us who we are - are contained in a few simple turns of phrase: we are creatures of love, creatures of understanding, creatures of kindness, while conversely we are creatures capable of hatred, of torture, of rape, of fear, of prejudice, and full of spite. Add to this mix a purpose in life that goes beyond love and companionship – to raise one’s eyes to the heavens and ask, “Is this all there is to life?”

Although the film deviates from the novel in that it is never really clear what connects the stories (the stories are passed on from character to character in a variety of forms in the novel). Starting in future, a camp-side storyteller of very old age begins by stating his story is a complex one. He has lost one eye, has scars on his face, and a gravely voice. Actor Tom Hanks, thanks to the brilliant makeup artists on this production, is transformed time and again into so many characters, I lost count. He is here, there and everywhere – hero, husband, villain, lover, misguided primitive, discarded scientist, etc. His voice is spread through this complex tale woven into the fabric of history, along with a fantastic core group of actors who take on multiple roles: Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturges, Doona Bae, Ben Whishaw, Keith David, Hugh Grant, Susan Sarandon, Xun Zhou, James D’Arcy, David Gyasi, and Brody Nicholas Lee. Together, this casts forms most of the characters we see in the variety of scenes taken from the different periods of time, whose stories run concurrent throughout the film.

I doubt I have seen a film in my lifetime that is so complex and so large on a scale of time, distance, and setting. This is the epic to end all epics, with more grandeur than the Grand Canyon and more color than a rainbow. You never know who is going to die or who will live, where the characters are going and what will happen when they arrive. I was riveted to the images on the screen in a way I have never been for any movie I have ever seen. For those who love great fiction, have I got a movie for you. This is not a simple tale and will probably lose money because some will say it is confusing. Phooey. I could watch this movie a hundred times and get lost in the beautiful portrayals, the detail in the sets, and plot twists which have you wondering where the tale turns next, and after a while, not caring, just wanting the film to go on and never end.