Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming 2013 Movies

Upcoming 2013 Movies

2013 looks to be a somewhat less than specular season, though not without its potential gems, many that appear to involve fantasy, magic, and science fiction:

Avoid [January 25: Movie 43 (2013). Raunchy all star comedy ensemble. One of the worst listing of movie critic reviews.]

February 1: Warm Bodies (2013). Zombie finds love.
    March 8: Oz The Great and Powerful (2013). A Prequel.
    March 15: Icredible Burt Wonderstone, The (2013). Rival magicians.
    March TBA: In From Up on Poppy Hill (2013). A Japanese movie about two youth’s and their family secrets.
    April 12: Oblivion (2013). A sci fi movie starring Tom Cruise who rescues a mysterious female in the far future.
    May 10: Great Gatsby, The (2013).
    May 24: Epic (2013). A fantasy animated movie.
    June 7: Now You See Me (2013). Magicians who are thieve must contend with persistent FBI agents.
    June 14: Man of Steel (2013).
    August 9: Elysium (2013). A sci fi movie starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster.
    October 11: Captain Phillips (2013). Based on a real-life seas drama of a Captain captured by Somali pirates starring Tom Hanks.
    November 1: Ender’s Game (2013). A long awaited sci fi adaptation of Orson Scott Card’s book.
    December 20: Saving Mr. Banks (2013). A drama with Tom Hanks as Walt Disney.
    Last edited by tabuno; 02-04-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Reordered into Chronological Order, corrected out of order listing.

I noted the promise of WARM BODIES in my TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN -- PART 2 review posted earlier today.

How about the coming releases for the rest of 2012? This Friday was an unusually rich offering, by the say, with LINCOLN, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, TWILIGHT, ANNA KARENINA, and much more, including, BARRYMORE, FIRST WINTER, and THE COMEDY, plus these are additional ones that opened Friday in Ne York that the NYTimes has reviews of Friday"

Movie Review | 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan': Defuse Bombs? That's Nothing Next to Love
    Movie Review | 'A Man Vanishes': Hunt for Truth Behind a Man and Cinema
    Movie Review | 'Generation P': Writing Ads That Sell His Soul
    Movie Review | 'Who Bombed Judi Bari?': A Victim Testifies From the Grave
    Movie Review | 'La Rafle': Rounding Up Jews in France
    Movie Review | 'Turning': Boy? Girl? And Other Questions
    Movie Review | 'Habibi': The Course of Love, Written on the Walls
    Movie Review | '16 Acres': Collisions at Ground Zero
    Movie Review | 'The Normals': Being a Guinea Pig for Pay May Not Be Worth It

Below is only a partial list of movies opening in the US the rest of this year. Notable ones are LIFE OF PI, AMOUR, RUST AND BONE, ON THE ROAD (that I know of).

November 16 (Friday)
    Lincoln (Expands Wide)
    Silver Linings Playbook
    The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
    Anna Karenina (Limited)
    Dangerous Liaisons (Limited)
    Price Check (Limited)

November 21 (Wednesday - Thanksgiving)
    Life of Pi (in 3D)
    Red Dawn
    Rise of the Guardians (in 3D)

November 23 (Friday)
    The Central Park Five (Limited)
    Hitchcock (Limited)
    Rust & Bone (Limited)

November 30 (Friday)
    Killing Them Softly
    The Collection (Limited)
    Dragon (Limited)

December 7 (Friday)
    Playing for Keeps
    Deadfall (Limited)
    Hyde Park on Hudson (Limited)
    Lay the Favorite (Limited)

December 14 (Friday)
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (in 3D)
    Save the Date (Limited)

December 19 (Wednesday)
    The Guilt Trip
    Monsters Inc (in 3D)
    Amour (Limited)
    Zero Dark Thirty (Limited)

December 21 (Friday)
    Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away (in 3D)
    Jack Reacher
    This is 40
    The Impossible (Limited)
    Not Fade Away (Limited)
    On the Road (Limited)

December 25 (Tuesday - Christmas Day)
    Django Unchained
    Les Miserables
    Parental Guidance

December 28 (Friday)
    Promised Land (Limited)
    Quartet (Limited)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 11-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Oz and the Great and Powerful (March 8, 2013)

This Wizard of Oz prequel appears to hold all the visual magic in 3D and the powerful children's storyline based on the classic original of 1939. It's a wonder that the Oz story has been more adapted as Alice in Wonderland has.

Movie 43 Opens January 25 With All Star Cast in Raunchy Comedy

Rarely have so many A-listed actors and actresses headlined what is typical a dumb, raunchy movie with 12 credited directors and 8 writers.

Hugh Jackman

Emma Stone ... Ellen Malloy

Elizabeth Banks

Gerard Butler ... Chaun

Kate Winslet ... Juliet Hulme

Kristen Bell ... Supergirl

Naomi Watts

Anna Faris ... Vanessa

Richard Gere ... Boss

Halle Berry

Chris Pratt ... Jason

Uma Thurman ... Lois Lane

Justin Long ... Robin

Liev Schreiber

Seann William Scott

Kate Bosworth ... Arlene

Terrence Howard

Johnny Knoxville

Tony Shalhoub

Setting up possibly the worst ensemble comedy ever or perhaps the most well acted, performed smart and sassy comedy ever.

The movie listed above by tabuno, MOVIE 43, was indeed released on Jan. 25, 2013 but may have vanished without a trace from brick and mortar presentation. It received a Metacritic rating of: 16.

Opening this Friday 1 Feb. 2013 is a tongue-in-cheek genre rom-com I've been looking forward to from the trailers, Jonathan Levine's WARM BODIES with Nocholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer in the leads, from the adult novel of Isaac Marion.

I will have a review of it on this site Friday.

I'm also working on Kim Lee-woon's THE LAST STAND, with the Gumbernator.

MOVIE 43 was reviewed by Peter Howell for the Toronto Star and he said it was the worst waste of talent he's EVER SEEN.
    I have much respect for Peter Howell. I love his voice and how he covers Cannes and other festivals. I'm actually jealous of how good he is.
    He's a very reliable critic. The Star is lucky to have him. I read everything he writes. He's top notch. No bullshit with him.
    I believe he said it was the worst film he's ever seen in his life, if memory serves...
    Did you see it Chris?

Thanks for this thread tabuno. The main event for me for 2013 is Zack Snyder's MAN OF STEEL. I think we will see the Best Superman movie ever made. The first Richard Donner film with Christopher Reeve is untouchable to me, but this new Man of Steel looks like the film we need in this day and age. The trailer gives you hints of Mighty Greatness. I don't think I will be disappointed. Christopher Nolan is producing. I've loved every film Zack Snyder has made. He makes movies for guys like me. Bombast and wicked style.You can pick them apart critically (especially SUCKERPUNCH), but his films aren't meant for critics in all honesty. They are sheer entertainment of a high quality to my eye. I know people hate him with a passion, that's their problem. I love the guy. He made WATCHMEN cinematic. I drop a knee. Fanboys who are honest with themselves know that Snyder has got the goods. Period.

The Great Gatsby is one I'm looking very forward to.
    The OZ movie by Sam Raimi also has me stoked. It looks fantasmagorical, visually dazzling.
    I'm not sure about James Franco. I really don't know what to make of him. He strikes me as a guy with a Huge ego.
    He was great in HOWL. Probably the best thing I've seen him do. Why is he going to an Ivy League school? He's got a rock-solid movie career.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Warning: the year's "most anticipated" movies are rarely the best ones.

No, I didn't see MOVIE 43 nor do I want to. I'm glad you have a newspaper critic in Toronto you like.

James Franco may seem spread a little thin but I admire his intellectual curiosity and creativity. His MY OWN PRIVATE RIVER this time last year was a great tribute. He has explained that he has too much energy and he was dissatisfied with just acting. Acting in movies involves a lot of waiting around. He has been much happier since he started all the studying as well as the acting. HOWL isn't his only good effort as an actor. He was good in 172 HOURS. I loved his weird appearance in six episodes of "General Hospital." He will try just about anything. His whole life has become a kind of performance piece. Viva James Franco! His life is his greatest work of art.

James Franco in drag for Candy
    Magazine,
    Oct. 2010.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-31-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Johann saves time and effort

Maybe I can just sit back and forget fretting about upcoming movies and just come back and read Johann's expectant movies and be done with it. His three movies mentioned have a similar impact on my looking forward to them. Maybe it's just the trailers, but there is something quite compelling with each of them.

:)

Thanks tabuno. You're too kind. It's a little sad that we can only get excited about 3 movies.
    Nothing else on the radar, except J.J. Abrams doing Episode 7 of Star Wars. I have a STRONG hunch he will blow our minds.
    All those bitter and jaded Star Wars fans will be carping and crowing and returning like lemmings. just you watch.

Abrams will BRING IT. He will shut everyone's mouth. People will be joyous that Star Wars is BACK.
    I can feel The Force is strong in him....:)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Ender's Game (November 1, 2013)

Read the book by Orson Scott Card, a local Mormon novelist, years ago. Can't remember the story, remember I loved the book, don't want to remember the plot when I see the movie in November. Nevertheless watching the movie trailer reminds me of Starship Troopers (1997) or Star Trek (2009) but for younger audiences. Yawn. There's no idea of who and what the enemy is or even what's so special about these new troopers. The sales pitch seems directed towards young kids and older audiences using famous aging male stars. Yawn. Has it been too long in developing this movie? Is it now out of date while fresher more novel sci fi movies have come and gone? After Earth (May 31, 2013) trailer appears to be even more contemporary and offering an even great appealing impact than Ender's Game at this point with its father-son, and virtually everything on earth trying to kill them.

RED 2 (July 19) Looks Better Than The Original

RED 2 with its all-star cast of aging actors may be able to restore the balance of aging sequels with old-time, experienced comedy in this espionage comedy with out of their usual dramatic roles, including Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins, and even Bruce Willis. Quirky John Malkovich never seems to become tiring. and Catherine Zeta-Jones new to this series has already demonstrated her appeal in a variety of entertaining popular espionage movies. Its summer release is just right for an action-comedy with the American public still recovering from a terrible economic and political polarizing year. Some violence and comedy with wit may be just the right combination, at least for the older generation. We'll have to see the demographic breakdown.

INTERSTELLAR (November 7, 2014)

Interstellar directed by Christopher Nolan and starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine in a sci fi outer space voyage back two major movie studios sounds like it has big potential for being a great hit.

PACIFIC RIM may sound like a TRANSFORMERS knockoff. It does not look at all like anything I would want to watch. But this is a GUILLERMO DEL TORO film, which means it's likely to be as good as pop-corn movies get.

The GUARDIAN:
    Guillermo del Toro's robots v aliens smackdown promises to combine a little class with its Michael Bay-style pyrotechnics. It could be the moment the sub-genre grows up. . . It may not go down all that well in the world of Michael Bay, but Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim is fast shaping up as the Transformers it's OK to like. A new extended trailer for the hugely hyped robots v aliens smackdown dropped earlier this week, confirming the Mexican film-maker's determination to show that enormous warring monstrosities can be a thing of surprising beauty.
    It's still a sci-fi action film and I'm really beginning to OD on them. But del Toro has a superior touch with pop, for sure.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-04-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast