Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Academy Award Nominations

You get the journalism award for your complete and up to the minute coverage.

I was surprised at who had died, some not so old, Nora Ephron and Harris Savides.

I was glad for some reason that Ang Lee won Best Director. A neutral choice. I also was stirred by the LES MIZ performance, in which everybody sang better than they did in the movie. Sorry I missed some of Tarantino's speech, but it seemed gracious about the talent in his category.

For the entertainment promoters and the product placers, the Red Carpet IS the most important part of the evening, hence its length. There is endless discussion afterward of the gowns and jewels and hairdos. That's the way it is. The minor award recipients are at fault too for the length of the evening, with their pointless speeches thanking everyone. The French have more style and restraint and I always liked Gaspard Ulliel's thank-you speech upon receiving the Most Promising Male Newcomer César in 2005. He mentions only one person by name and at the end says he tanks everyone who helped him along the way in her career and "I think they know who they are." What more do you need? Sorry it's a bad video; there used to be a better one but You/tube is always deleting things as you know.

What about MOONRISE KINGDOM, was it mentioned once? But we all expected ARGO to win and at least you-know-what didn't win. I was pleased with many of the nominations, and glad there was no sweep, which causes so many films to be swept away in the wake of one or two.

ABC and I both made a mistake Ben Affleck was nominated as producer.my bad

that is a huge hunk of metal they hand out in France
    Last edited by cinemabon; 02-25-2013 at 04:20 AM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

It is amazing that Emanuelle Riva, 86, was in Paris Friday to accept her César (which she could not carry off stage) and then in Hollywood Sunday for the Oscars. Afleck didn't bother to come to France and Michael Haneke, the big winner, was already in L.A.

You might argue that Affleck's speech was unjustified anyway because it wasn't just about being producer. The César statuette is big but the Cannes awards come in little boxes.

From Deadline.com:

César Awards: ‘Amour’ Sweeps Major Categories, ‘Argo’ Named Best Foreign Film

By NANCY TARTAGLIONE, International Editor | Friday, 22 February 2013 22:59 UK
    Tags: Amour, César Awards

EMMANUELLE RIVA AT THE CÉSARS

Oscar-nominated Amour filmmaker Michael Haneke has won two Cannes Palmes d’Or and yet never taken home a César Award. Tonight, that was rectified in spades when Amour took the Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Original Screenplay Césars at Paris’ Théâtre du Châtelet. Jacques Audiard’s Rust & Bone was also a big winner at France’s equivalent to the Oscars with four prizes including Adapted Screenplay. Shut out was Noémie Lvovsky’s Camille Redouble which was the most-nominated film by the Académie des Arts et Techniques du Cinéma coming into the party. Ben Affleck’s Argo was named Best Foreign Film.

Amour producer Margaret Menegoz first accepted the Original Screenplay prize for Haneke, who is expected in L.A. tomorrow, saying “Michael is enchanted, flattered and full of happiness that this academy that represents the most emotive of cinemas, has finally recognized him as one of their own.”

Emmanuelle Riva, who is up for a Best Actress Oscar on Sunday and the oldest woman ever to have that distinction, was in Paris to accept her César for Amour. Following a standing ovation, she said, “I worked on this film with great passion and I am very lucky at this hour or my life” to come across such a “wonder” of a subject that is “so close to all of us. This is the first time I have received a César and I thank everyone.” When she tried to pick up her César and walk offstage, she had to hand the trophy off, “It’s heavier than I am!” Riva’s partner in Amour, Jean-Louis Trintignant was not present for his win as Best Actor. But his son mounted the stage to accept the prize and promptly called his dad in Brussels where the actor was performing a play. From the speaker phone on his son’s cell, Trintignant said, “Thank you everyone who voted for me and those who didn’t vote for me because the others are good too. I’m a bit emotional, kisses to everyone.”

Golden Palm at Cannes for AMOUR, May 2012,
    Haneke with Riva and Trintignant
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-25-2013 at 06:18 AM.

My favorite animated short won. I happen to have seen them, at a program of the IFC Center. It was a curious mix of apples and oranges, a 27-minute-long film and a one-minute-long one, and not as inventive a list as you get at the major international animation festival at Annecy. But this black-and-white Disney film was charming and beautifully structured. "Paperman" is old fashioned, set in the early Sixties (I think) and about love in the big city. You should be able to watch "Paperman" here.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-25-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Another Oscar telecast over.
    Anybody here surprised by the winners?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I love that Tarantino and Waltz won Oscars. Totally deserved. Totally Justifed.
    Samuel L. Jackson & Leonardo DiCaprio wuz robbed!
    I would've been very happy if Philip Seymour-Hoffman won.
    He was incredible in The Master. Tough category this year, Best Supporting Actor..

Anne Hathaway won- Meow Baby.
    Daniel Day-Lewis set a record: 3 Best Actor trophies are his now.
    Joaquin Phoenix deserved it to me, but hey, Daniel is the Master Blaster....

Moonrise Kingdom- did it not get mentioned even ONCE?
    Wow. Something really wrong there..

DiCaprio's performance is a feather in his cap and Jackson's is remarkable and provocative more than anything else in the movie. So yes, they wuz robbed. I'll go with that.

I noticed vintage t-shirts of THE GREAT GATSBY are appearing in storefronts in Toronto, in anticipation of the new film.

I didn't see the telecast . I refuse to get cable anymore- all those channels and nothing to watch. Plus I can't stand commercials.
    I'll stick to my DVD's. I bought a Steelbook copy of Takashi Miike's Sukiyaki Western Django and I'll post my thoughts on it when I've got my home theatre gear out of storage in a couple weeks. Takashi Miike accepted my Facebook friend request last week --AWESOMENESS-- have a look at his page, Chris. It's quite awesome. His films may not be your cuppa, but he is definitely a tongue-wagging AUTEUR.

I also bought the special edition of Grindhouse, the RR/QT double feature from 2007, a Howitzer of a double-feature.
    It comes with all the fake trailers and other cool special features.
    Last edited by Johann; 02-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.

A New York Times reporter I am not. I literally phoned in my review last night (my daughter just had my first grandchild - poor excuse - and I used my phone to call it in). Zero Dark Thirty was not shut out. It tied with Skyfall for Sound Editing.

Seth McFarlane has already stated he will NOT do another Academy Awards show (now called The Oscars).

On the short, "Paperman;" it's been available for viewing for the past couple of months and was featured as the top viewed video on Youtube last month. I was very pleased it won. Some "behind the scenes" shorts are also available on Youtube with the director discussing why he chose New York City in the early 1950's as a setting and other background goodies.

Major omission "In memorium" was Andy Griffith who got his start in film (among others).
    Last edited by cinemabon; 02-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

I just watched the Oscar nominated documentary shorts. I am trying not to feel suicidal. But INNOCENTE, which won, was the most positive and unique. Glad you liked PAPERMAN too. Several of the others seemed a bit off.

Seth McFarlane seems a very talented guy. I'd really never heard of him. Didn't see TED or his TV show.

I am sorry they omitted Andy Griffith from In Memorium. How could they do that?!

ZERO DARK THIRTY was not shut out? But considering that a very high percentage of the 45 Metacritic-cited reviews were raves for a Metacritic rating of 95, the Academy cut ZD30 down many pegs and it's a statement that the critics don't mean a damn thing to them.

. Another channel with the program Sixty Minutes at the outset of the Oscars broadcast put on a recounting of the siege of Ben Laden's house in Abbetobad. An eye-opener to me was that the Seals man's story included a CIA lady who was very influential and present at the time of the siege, and who cried at the end of it as Jessica Chastain did. Maybe there's more truth in the conception of Chastain's character than I realized.

Moonrise Kingdom missed at the Oscars

I sympathize with Johann's comment about Moonrise Kingdom and although its name was mentioned (but once) during the mention of those nominated for Best Writing, Screenplay, it's singular mention had me briefly and fondly recall how great this movie was and sad that it didn't get more recognition at the Oscars.

Quote Originally Posted by tabuno View Post
    I sympathize with Johann's comment about Moonrise Kingdom and although its name was mentioned (but once) during the mention of those nominated for Best Writing, Screenplay, it's singular mention had me briefly and fondly recall how great this movie was and sad that it didn't get more recognition at the Oscars.
    Just tell everyone you know about it tabuno. AND BUY IT ON DVD!
    Support that Amazing American auteur Wes Anderson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moonrise Kingdom Expresses the Medium of Film

While not my top film of the year, Moonrise Kingdom, definitely fell into my top ten movies of 2012 and richly deserved at least a nomination for Best Picture and Cinematography. Moonrise Kingdom richly captured what film is all about, the colors, the stylistic characterization that even live stage productions can't display as effectively. This ensemble of slick, effusive comedy along with a relational story of two children, along with the casting and performances of A-listers combined to create a dazzling, unique, and sparklingly fresh use of feature films. In short, Moonrise Kingdom rose to the occasion and delivered an experience that brought the special art form of film to the surface and beyond. This is what movie-making is about.

Well said.

I second those motions.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast