Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MAN OF STEEL (Zack Snyder/Chris Nolan 2013)

3D darkens everything. If you'd watched it in 2D the lighting was not a problem. Reports on Screen Rant were that WWZ had lengthier than usual period of reshoots, possibly a rougher than usual rough cut. You should watch Primer and Upstream Color. Room 237 was a sidebar at last year's NYFF but I skipped it. Some liked, others were indifferent. For you it would probably be something to see.

I saw and reviewed Upstream Color at New Directors/New Films earlier and you'll find that in the Festival Coverage section. For me it was the most awaited event of the series, and though reactions are mixed, it's a must-see. Would see it again at IFC if I were still in NYC; might still in July if it's still showing then -- IFC has a lot of turnover but keeps some things a long time too.

Superman fans might want to peruse "KRYPTONOMICS: Why Superman’s creators got a raw deal" " a review by Deborah Friedell in The New Yorker of a new dual biography of Siegel and Shuster, the two Jewish sons of immigrants cinemabon has talked about and how they got screwed over the years because they signed off rights to the comic book hero right at the outset.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-24-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Apparently Room 237 has some outrageous theories and it has nobody connected to the film speaking in it.
    So I don't know how good it will be. It was made on a shoestring.

Sorry, I meant UPSTREAM COLOR. That's the one that everyone is raving about. (at least in Toronto).
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

My roommate tells me that Zack Snyder's stamp on MAN OF STEEL is clear in these ways:

1. When Jor-El says "THIS IS MADNESS!" to Zod (that line was in 300)
    2. That scene where Superman is sinking like quicksand in the skulls (that was in 300- the baby skulls- remember?) Snyder said he loves skulls, so look for skulls in all of his future movies
    3. Lara (Jor-El's wife) is VERY similar to Queen Gorgo in 300 (Leonidas' Spartan wife)- look at her costumes- look how she dies with Honor...

Hilarious debate on video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgEv22m2gnA
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Great. Passionate expressions of opinion about movies make me happy, whether I agree with them or not. We'll have a showing of Man of Steel for our students somewhere in the fall semester. I'll catch it then.

My passion has rather cooled. But I stand by what I said.

Colige suspectos semper habitos

Johann, Peter said he unlocked your Harper Lounge thread, and I just tested it and was able to post. Try it.

As you like. We aim to keep you function on all levels, man.

You can still re-post it there, and delete it here.

I found out a few things about this film:

Superman's cape was CGI for certain scenes, as Zack Snyder says he had to "control the cape's peformance"- Cool.

Why did Superman break Zod's neck? That goes against the Rules! WRONG.
    Where was it written that Superman cannot or will not take a life?
    Up to 5000 people die in the final battle Supes has with Zod. That goes against the Rules! WRONG.
    That is how shit would go down if a Kryptonian General fought a Red-Son ex-patriot on Earth.
    Buildings would crumble and people would die.

Bravo to Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan.
    You did it.
    You made the best Superman film to date.
    How you gonna top MAN OF STEEL?
    Can't wait to find out.

Re: Man of Steel DVD release

I have to agree with Bruce Kirkwood- the limited edition Blu-Ray DVD set kinda sucks.
    The metal (made in China? WTF) Superman shield box is very nice, but the plastic display stand that comes with it is lame.
    You try setting that thing up! You will lose patience...
    And I have to outright slam HMV on two fronts: first, you jacked the price up TEN DOLLARS one week after the set debuted.
    You jacked up the price on the regular DVD release by FIVE DOLLARS as well. You fucking pigs.
    6 days at $19.99 then whammo!! $24.99 + tax. Talk about gouging for the holiday season...

Second, I asked staff about Miley Cyrus' new CD, which has a parental guidance sticker on it. I asked at what age would they allow someone to buy the CD without a parent/guardian. The clerk told me "TWELVE".
    I looked at her and said "You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. You boycotted the Rolling Stones merely when they offered Best Buy their "40 Licks" album first. You pulled all of their product off your shelves. Have you been watching this dumb tart lately? And you don't boycott her "act"?? What gives?" She had no answer. She just said "I'm sorry you feel that way".

Back to Man of Steel.
    What a juicy fanboy movie. Prayers were answered for Superman fans. This movie has polarized people and I'm mystified by it.
    "Die-Hard" Superman fans are barking about how Superman was ruined, just like how die-hard Star Wars fans are always bipping off about Lucas' prequels.
    Um, I'm a die-hard Superman fan (and film buff) and I'm telling you, Zack Snyder brought the fuckin' goods.
    Word.
    For Shizzle My Nizzle.
    If you didn't like Man of Steel then you must like your Superman as a pussy.
    You must like him as a wimpy tool of Lois Lane's.
    I don't.
    I want Strength. Power. A Man of STEEL.

You're a fan, you pay!

Yep. They have us fans by the goo-goo.
    The regular Blu-Ray disc went up by 5 bucks at HMV too. They are gouging for Christmas..

I bought the Dark Knight trilogy (Blu-ray Ultimate set) for $79.99
    This week you can buy it for $99.99 @ HMV.
    A $20 jump in only 4 fucking weeks!

They push people to want to buy the stuff in the first few days or weeks of the sale and then that build up the buzz and increases overall sales, most likely, given that it's a sure sale. They're sure they've got you by the goo goo, either way.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast