Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My favorite movie

Just ordered The Hidden on DVD

Before I make the mistake I did with Alien, I'm going to watch the DVD so I can have a fresh copy embossed on my brain before I launch into it!!

Personally, I preferred the original The Thing from Outer Space starring James Arness as the monster to John Carpenter's. It had some pretty good spooks for such an old horror movie, and the absurdity was entertaining. Kurt Russell is my man, and when he's teamed up with John Carpenter, they really do the job. Big Trouble in Little China remains among my favorites.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Like it too, but...

...the thing I didn't like was the fact that the monster in the original thing isn't like the "Who goes there?" story at all, it's just a frankenstein monster, or as J.C. likes to call them "a guy in a suit". I agree with him, too, that having the monster be something other than a guy in a suit for the remake was a great call, and Bill Lancaster (rest his soul) did a bang up job of adapting the original story. Not here to beat up on your preference at all, fave films are fave films, and I'd have to say I really love the Kurt Russell / John Carpenter team as well. I only wish Russell had been in THEY LIVE as well!!

Man, Kurt Russell is the action star. Getting off the subject, I've always been a fan of Tim Burton's stuff. I mean, each and every one of his films has in some way had a surreal touch. My friends and I had a Burton marathon on Friday and we were thoroughly enjoying it. Burton, along with Woody Allen and Sam Raimi, is one of my fave directors.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Burton! Allen! Raimi!

No question those three totally rate. You gotta take chances and risk freaking the audience out / alienating them in order to make really cool, groundbreaking films, and I'd have to say ALL of these guys have done that. The films I like by 'em are tops in my book. I'll never forget when I first saw the Sam Raimi "shakeycam" shots in the Evil Dead movies. I remember going "what the hell??!! Is that a broken steadycam or something??!!". Awesome!

My Little Eye

Has anybody seen "My LIttle Eye," a UK horror movie released in October shot in the US? Described as "Big Brother meets Blair Witch Project" it has some creepy moments and is quite a comment on reality TV. Marc Evans directs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12