Thread: IMAX (today)

IMAX (today)

I came across a May 2012 issue of "OUTSIDE" magazine that has a great article on IMAX heir Shaun MacGillivray, son of IMAX camera creator (1963) Greg.
    It was by Thayer Walker, and I'll paraphrase some of it to give you the gist. (I never want to bore anyone:)

Shaun MacGillivray. What has he learned from Dear Old Dad?
    Keep an eye on the tiger, Don't smell the walrus and NEVER STOP WORKING.

Greg MacGillivray was a surfer from Laguna Beach who co-founded the IMAX documentary studio MacGillivray Freeman Films.
    MFF has made 35 large-format features, including "EVEREST" and "TO FLY", which has been running at the Smithsonian for 36 years.
    Today, Greg's 32-year-old son Shaun is carrying the IMAX banner as IMAX's producer and managing director.
    In 2010, he helped launch ONE WORLD ONE OCEAN, an environmental campaign using the power of film to inspire peeps to protect the seas.
    The project's first film, TO THE ARCTIC, premiered in April 2012.

"IMAX cameras are by far the best way to capture images for the giant screen. But they shoot only three minutes of film at a time.
    They take 15 minutes to reload, and they weigh 400 pounds. An IMAX film costs $1000 a minute. Everytime you press the record button, it's hundreds of dollars. You learn to anticipate, or you lose money" -Shaun MacGillivray.
    (Me, Johann: I'm thinking of Christopher Nolan & Wally Pfister loading that monster over and over)

"FedEx bills? You ever ship 5,000 pounds of film equipment to the arctic? Twenty-Five Grand. That's just for one shoot."- S.M.

I really like this quote from Shaun:

TELLING A GOOD STORY IS AN ART AND A SCIENCE.
    Last edited by Johann; 12-02-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd