Thread: My life as a jerk

Hybrid View

My life as a jerk

This recent film by Dave Markey is fantastic.
    It is a documentary on the CIRCLE JERKS, a seminal hardcore L.A. punk band.
    It's all here, and the extras on this DVD are even better than the film itself!

Dave is a Facebook friend, and I've told him personally what I think of the movie- he asked me if I've ever made a film (I said no, I have no stories to tell) and he welcomed me to post whenever I want on his page- he recently posted a blast from Raymond Pettibon, Greg Ginn's brother, who claims that Dave sucks Greg's dick. (If you're in the loop, you know that is total B.S.)
    But onto the Circle Jerks- I'll post more later on this film, as I want to get it right.
    It is a historical document, with all the major players on camera (except Chuck Biscuits- and I'm pretty sure I know why).
    Henry Rollins speaks of the "cultural importance" of the band, and of how "Group Sex" is a masterpiece of an album.

It is worth checking out, even owning. Throw an indie filmmaker a bone and buy that DVD!!!!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Well the title is MY CAREER AS A JERK. Threre's no IMDb release info and I wonder if this was straight-to-DVD, but there is an interview related to it in ROLLING STONE. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...-jerk-20120926

You could write a user's comment review of it on its IMDb page. There is nothing about it there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2461726/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

I just might do that.
    Yes, I got the title wrong. I think it should be called "My Life as a Jerk" simply because the Circle Jerks didn't exactly have a "Career". It was more of a lifestyle. Keith Morris says in the extras that they broke up because they "couldn't get their shit together".
    I love this film, and yes- I don't think it ever played theatrically. Dave made it himself, did everything- editing, sound, camera, etc.

I'll do up a nice review tomorrow. I'm gonna scrutinize it tonite in my Batcave. :)

But the title "My Life As a Jerk" would sound like he just WAS an actual jerk,while "career" suggests a job rather than his whole nature. Plus since they say they all had day jobs most of the time "life" might also be wrong for that reason, because it was part, not all, of their lives. Oh, who knows? anyway I prefer "Career" and can see why they used that rather than "life."

Punks might jump all over me for it. I mean no harm.
    They actually do have a career- their records still sell well, they are Icons.
    Elton John gave them huge props and one night Chuck Berry himself asked to join them up onstage once.

The Circle Jerks are a band you have to learn about, Mang.

Okay Mang, I dig.