Thread: My life as a jerk

Threaded View

The Circle Jerks were accused of stealing songs from both Black Flag and Red Cross, but Keith points out that as the lyric writer of the songs, he was entitled to half credit. Greg Hetson says Red Cross refused to use the riffs he had come up with so he took them back.
    Lucky was in Law school, and he couldn't go on tour to England, so they had to replace him. John Ingram joined them, and Keith says they replaced a really amazing drummer with a guy who could just "play the drums".
    Fans would shout at shows: "WHERE"S LUCKY?!?"
    Soon Chuck Biscuits would quit Black Flag, and they couldn't pass up the opportunity to play with one of the most hardcore drummers to ever sit behind a kit. Chuck was a Beast, and the stories relayed about him here are cool- even Greg kicking him in the balls. I wish Chuck would've been able to speak of his time with them on camera. But there is bad blood there. I get it.

Roger eventually came to see (in the early 90's) that the Circle Jerks were in their prime, long after he had left the group, and Nirvana showed them that they had a shot. Nirvana had wiped Metal off the face of the Earth. 1991 was the Year that Punk Broke. The Circle Jerks were signed to Mercury records (a disastrous situation, according to Keith Morris), as it was a feeding frenzy for punk groups. Green Day also made record labels smell the money.
    The day the original lineup was to reunite and rehearse, Roger OD'd on a mixture of drugs and died.
    Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers also played bass for the Circle Jerks in 1985- Greg says he was amazed that he could do the "Downstroke Derby" with his fingers, without a pick!
    Zander Schloss ("Kevin the Nerd" in Repo Man) was their final bassist, and I have no feelings for Zander either way.
    The Soft Boys cover of "I WANNA DESTROY YOU" is the only recording with Zander on it I listen to.
    But I do like his quote: "Legends are based on their Absence".

The footage of the Jerks covering The Who on the extras is worth it's weight in Gold. The echoes on Keiths' voice from those Marshall amps...Holy Frickin' Dogshit.

Keith Morris is the only member still active in music these days. He's in FLAG, on vocals of course, a band I saw rip the roof off the joint in Toronto last year. His new band is Off!, and he took it all back to that Baptist Church. Buy his records. He's a Legend. And so are the Circle Jerks. They ain't no footnote in Rock and Roll history.
    Last edited by Johann; 02-20-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd