Thread: For Chris

For Chris

I watched "Grand Budapest Hotel" over the weekend and loved it. I wanted to read your commentary but can't find your review.

Also, have you seen this: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...ocial_facebook

Finally, I am moving after more than a decade and find I have accumulated an enormous amount of useless junk - movie posters, countless DVD's, CD's, etc. I have over fifty boxes and will probably start selling the stuff for pennies. Hope all of you are well.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

I guess I never wound up writing a full-length review of Grand Budapest Hotel, because I did not really like it. I found it too cute, overwrought, tone-deaf as to the accents, and sort of creepy in the way it seems to make even Naziism part of a toyland world. However, it is loved by everybody. I am a big fan of Wes Anderson and expected to like this. I only wrote a short comment in a New York Movie Journal for Feb.-Mar. when I was in the city attending the Rendez-Vous and New Directors series screenings. I see the Metacritic rating has gone up to 88 (Dec. 2014). It's coming up on best lists. http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.p...1902#post31902
    THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (Wes Anderson 2014). A new Wes Anderson film would deserve a full review. And I hope to give it one. This stylized saga of a "Mitteleuropa" haute bourgeoisie luxury hotel and its lobbyboy and concierge/manager over lifetimes spanning the Thirties to the Eighties is replete with famous actors and elaborate mise-en-scène. But it winds up being relatively uninvolving, especially coming after the lovely and sweet childhood romance of MOONRISE KINGDOM. One of the troubles is Anderson doesn't quite seem to "get" this kind of European snobbism and sophistication; and his heedless use of a mishmash of mostly American actors with totally un-grand-hotel voices and accents can't work well. Ralph Fiennes is fine as the hotel manager in its heyday, and as his lobbyboy Zero Tony Revolori is small and cute -- but there's that American accent again, totally out of place. Tone deaf. But not many care (Metacritic rating: 86.) Opened in NYC Fri. 7 Mar. 2014. At Regal Union Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    I guess I never wound up writing a full-length review of Grand Budapest Hotel, because I did not really like it. I found it too cute, overwrought, tone-deaf as to the accents, and sort of creepy in the way it seems to make even Naziism part of a toyland world. I am a big fan of Wes Anderson and expected to like this. I only wrote a short comment in a New York Movie Journal http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.p...1902#post31902
    I haven't seen it yet, but I love Wes Anderson (esp. Royal Tenenbaums) and I love your observation.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Is W.A. in a way even sort of unintentionally parodying himself in BUDAPEST HOTEL? I don't know but our recent discussion of INTERSTELLER was a reminder that even directors we love can play us false at times. I have the impression that BUDAPEST movie is one of those that people either adore or can barely stand.

I haven't seen it yet but I will definitely check it out. I loved Moonrise Kingdom and Wes is a great director, a genius even. I haven't heard that people don't like it, but thanks for the heads up.

Chris Nolan's last movie was a definite let-down to me. It makes me think of Scorsese's quote of "Make one for yourself, make one for the studio". And when Kevin Smith made Clerks 2 and showed it to the Weinsteins, they responded to it by saying "We didn't expect you to make an actual movie. It's great"
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

MOONRISE KINGDOM is lovely, isn't it? INTERSETELLAR seems blah, yet I find that parts of its action come back as pages in the cinematic book of space-time travel. I didn't know that story about CLERKS 2: interesting. I have recently gone back and seen all Wes Anderson's films and caught up on ones I'd missed or didn't remember well. It's such a a distinctive and brilliant body of work. Everybody likes some more than others, but not the same ones. Somebody has said GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL is Wes Anderson for people who don't like Wes Anderson; that might possibly apply also to INHERENT VICE, certainly a change of pace from the solemnity and grandeur of the other big Anderson. As I've also said INHERENT VICE is likely to work better or 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or 5th) watchings; maybe true of BUDAPEST HOTEL but I just don't want to go there. It seems cloyingly cute, and underlyingly creepy. INHERENT VICE is a puzzle to learn you way through and has clearly funny and fun moments.

(Armond White is more a fan of Paul W.S. Anderson, and even has preferred P.W.S.A to recent Scorsese (see here). Most consider this hilarious, of course. But maybe I ought to see RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION. Completely unfamiliar with W.S.

http://www.chrisknipp.com/newpictures/ws.jpg
    Resident Evil: Retribution
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-18-2014 at 08:16 PM.

I believe you hit the mark when you said Wes made a film that parodied his own style. However, I find too many people have enjoyed watching the film and its incarnations (DVD's, streaming, etc) that it will be nominated for something; at least, writing.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

It will be nominated for other things beside writing.

Best Picture
    Best Director
    Best Editing
    Screenplay (writing)