Thread: Chicago

Chicago

I saw Chicago for the second time this afternoon (oh yeah baby, this is one hell of a movie.) Musicals are becoming my favorite type of film in short order.

Ebert was right on the money when he said Queen Latifah was perfectly cast. I was amazed by the ease she displayed around such seasoned actors. Her singing "Be good to mama" (title?) was a howl.

Renee Zellweger has snatched the cute mantle from Meg Ryan & I don't think she'll be giving it back. As a viewer, you can't help loving her character. In fact, the whole cast was incredible. Richard Gere surprised the hell out of me. Did he really do that tap routine? In a review in the local ffwd paper they said Cathy Jones simply dominated the film. I don't agree. She has immense talent (I didn't know she was a pro dancer before movies), but everyone was top notch.

Best scene: the number "They both went for the gun" Ventriloqism as bohemian dance...
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

New And Fresh

At the beginning of Chicago, it seemed like it would turn into another one of those nameless dance routines, but like Moulin Rouge, it broke out into a fabulous creative burst of energy. Chicago was new and fresh - an exciting piece of razzle and dazzle, bouncy and fun.