Thread: San Francisco Jewish Film Festival 2014

Threaded View

San Francisco Jewish Film Festival 2014

July 24-August 10, 2014

This will be the second year I have written about the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival, in its 34th year, but I won't be reviewing as many films this year, being a lot more selective. There are, I believe, 48 films, including shorts, and I only plan to review five or six, unless I get lured into watching more.

SFJFF 2014 HOME PAGE. SFJFF 2014 PRESS KIT.

Filmleaf Forums LINKS AND COMMENTS THREAD.

PRESS RELEASE:

34th San Francisco Jewish Film Festival
    San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, Palo Alto and San Rafael

San Francisco, CA (June 24, 2014) - The 34th edition of the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival returns to the Bay Area July 24-August 10, 2014 at the Castro Theatre and Rayco Photo Center in San Francisco, the CinéArts Theatre in Palo Alto, the Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center in San Rafael, The California Theatre in Berkeley, and the Grand Lake Theater and The New Parkway Theater in Oakland. The first and still the largest of its kind, the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival SFJFF) continues to present year after year the very best in independent Jewish cinema--offering a full complement of films, festivities, special discussion programs and international guests that highlight 5773 years of culture. For ticket information, please contact the box office at 415.621.0523 or visit the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival online at www.sfjff.org.

The opening night film is the explosive documentary THE GREEN PRINCE, about a young Palestinian, son of a founder of Hamas who is disgusted by the brutal tactics it uses in prison and its many suicide bombings and is turned by Shin Bit and spies for Israel. "Mosab agrees to spy for Israel. For him, there is no greater shame. For his Shin Bet handler, Gonen, there is no greater prize: "operating" the oldest son of a founding member of Hamas." This was opening night film at Sundance too, and won the World DocumentaryPprize there. US theatrical release 26 September 2014.

Link index of Filmleaf reviews of the 2014 SFJFF:

Anywhere Else (Ester Amrami 2014)
    Critico, El (Hernán Guerschuny 2013)
    Father and Son (Pawel Lozinski 2013)
    God's Slave (Joel Novoa 2013)
    Holy Land (Peter Cohn 2014)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-02-2015 at 02:05 PM.