Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 Rank 'em as you see them

Hey, you're right! It's at the Madstone Theater in Albuquerque today at 1:20 | 3:50 | 7:20 | 9:50 . The Web tells me so.

If there's a way you can find out where a movie is showing all over the country, I don't know what it is.

Yeah, I just checked it too. I guess I'll go see it then. Whoopee.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

subject to change

I'm slowly learning that as the year progresses, you have to rearrange picks for "best" anything. Best films so far? I"ve got this list:

Russian Ark
    The Dancer Upstairs
    Winged Migration
    Hulk
    The Matrix Reloaded
    Swimming Pool
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Russian Ark was last year I think, but that's okay if it works for you.

hmmm...kind of thought Winged Migration sucked. The shots were awesome, yes, but do birds really fly to the beat of Enya?

my picks:
    Spellbound, Spider (this year?), 28 Days Later, Capturing the Friedmans...so far so good!

RELEASE DATES

Chris is right in the sense that RUSSIAN ARK opened in one theatre in Manhattan on 12/13/02, then was not released in the rest of North America(including L.A.) until 2003.
    SPIDER opened in one theatre in L.A. on 12/20/02, then opened in NYC on 2/28/03 and gradually in other markets.
    I wonder whether this disqualifies them for Oscar consideration for 2003.
    I have included both in my best of 2003 list, on page 1 of this thread, which I edit every time I watch a film that merits inclusion.
    My enjoyment of WINGED MIGRATION was not diminished by the soundtrack. Actually, not even M. Bolton or Spiro Gyra would ruin the experience for me. I am surprised to read pmw thinks the movie "sucked".
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 07-17-2003 at 10:56 PM.

sorry...sucked is too strong

Youre right, it certainly didn't suck. Quite a feat of cinematography and a stock of footage that will be valuable and enjoyable for years to come. That said I didnt think the musical additions or the lightweight commentary did justice to the natural beauty of the birds on their travels.

I didn't mind the music in Winged Migration at all. Was it Enya?

The film is all about the birds- not music or narration. I also went to the film after a six-pack of Beck's, so I was primed to like anything that was shown to me :)

It's just a majestic doc. That's all. Too bad you didn't enjoy it..

Kiarostami's TEN: Take me to Grandma's

**SPOILERS**

I'm adding Kiarostami's "10" to the list.

This film should have won the Palm D'or. Abbas takes a bold idea and comes up with a beautiful montage of female yin and yang.

It's a convincing exposee of one lonely Iranian woman. She's a taxi driver, and she's both repulsive and attractive. She has conversations with other women and her son that speak volumes about her own insecurities & dreams. Staggering film.
    My favorite scene is the one with the prostitute. I know why Kiarostami doesn't show her face, but God did I want to see it!!
    Never in my life have I wanted to put a face to a voice..

Touching, heartbreaking, I saw it twice.

BEST OF 2003 SO FAR

My revised list for 2003 up to date (as of August 31) is more or less as follows.

BEST NEW MOVIES SEEN SO FAR (in alphabetical order)::

USA:

Better Luck Tomorrow
    Charlotte Sometimes
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    Gerry
    Northfork
    Raising Victor Vargas
    Seabiscuit
    Secretary
    Spun

OTHER COUNTRIES:

Cidade de Deus
    Dirty Pretty Things
    Son, The
    Spider
    Sweet Sixteen
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 08-31-2003 at 03:56 PM.

End of Summer 2003 Rankings

(Updated of May 8, 2003 Rankings)

1. Holes (9 out of 10) - This is the best movie of the year so far with its fascinating present/past images technique, with great storytelling, interesting plot, adventure, humor, and a compelling romance-drama - "Stand By Me" - triumph.

2. Finding Nemo (9 out of 10) - This blockbuster animated movie was an instant great classic in my mind after I left the movie. It hit all the emotional adventure points - good humor, good story - (father and son), good sidestory with disability issues, great animation, exciting.

3. Seabisquit (9 out of 10) - One of the best movies of the season containing most of the critical plot points to make a great story telling drama. This American pull-me up by the bootstraps, coming from behind, American success story has a strong message of hope produced and directed with strong cinematography and good acting that allows the audience to ignore the famous actors and concentrate of the film (a sign of truly amazing film-making).

3. Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (9 out of 10) - While many people weren't really impressed with this movie, the feminine touch and the downplay of the usual adventure thriller psycho-babble, made this movie much more appealing and intellectually stimulating than most movies of this genre. While the special effects in a few places sucked, this movie was a solid, intelligent action thriller that hit on good ethical and emotional levels.

4. Uptown Girls (9 out of 10) - I will lose all credibility by this ranking, but I have to call it as I seem them. This growing-up genre movie contains deeper messages in a truly humorous but dramatic fashion. This is one of the few movies that have been able to obtain the drama-comedy balance and careful blend of humor and sadness that is so rare and difficult to accomplish. A brilliant product that requires a truly good actress and direction to produce well. This is what true motion picture experience is all about - something that Ally McBeal came close to achieving.

5. Identity (8 out of 10) - a fascinating psycho-thriller of the best kind, with a realistic, eerie fear factor of the classic movies. A brilliant cautionary tale to any therapist.

6. Whalerider (8 out of 10) - an independent sleeper of true, small epic proportions about tradition and change. This compelling movie creates a real picture about different cultures that have import onto our own lives.

7. 28 Days Later (8 out of 10) - a fascinating, intelligent, more serious look at the horror genre filmed in a creative, independent way...reducing the gore and increasing the cerebral quotient towards Ridley Scott's Alien dynamics of film.

8. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - One of the solid standouts this year in terms of entertainment and odd characters.

9. Bruce Almighty (8 out of 10) - entertaining comedy of Jim Carrey proportions who is beginning to become a true actor in his own right.

10. Bringing Down The House (8 out of 10) - of the most funniest movies in a long time with a good performance from Steve Martin plus it's comedy containing some serious dramatic, intelligent moments.

11. Freaky Friday (8 out of 10) - an entertaining remake with a delightful cast and funny version of switched body experiences.

12. The Hunted (8 out of 10) - An amazing special ops thriller and an intelligent alternative to the less technically minded. While missing out of the character drama, the action thrills are compelling and played straight instead of theatrically phony.

13. Down with Love (8 out of 10) - An overlooked, underappreciated update of the old 1950s romance comedy completely redone with a brilliant combination of old and new, highlighting the best of the old and inserting the contemporary edge of today. One of the truly few successful accomplishments of this form of old and new.

14. The Lizzie McGuire Movie (8 out of 10) - A delicious adaptation to the big screen with delightful animated interludes and a great, charming movie for kids. A solid and thoughtful movie.

15. Daredevil (8 out of 10) - A more dark and serious comic book version brought to life for adults.

16. How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days (8 out of 10) - There are scenes in this movie that defy quality, professional honesty that work like gems though the ending wasn't as sharp as it could have been.

17. What a Girl Wants (8 out of 10) - An above average comedy about growing up improves on its predecessor pushing the envelop between comedy and drama, smoothly combining both elements making this movie a much more intelligent, mature, and delightfully entertaining movie.

18. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (8 out of 10) - A fun, enjoyable romp on the road to adventure with strong male and female parts.

19. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (8 out of 10) - A decent sequel to the series that keeps the audience involved, though predictable, Arnold still has what it takes.

20. The Hulk (8 out of 10) - A good version of this comic book hero (or anti-hero) that shows more personality, depth than most movies of this genre.

21. Agent Cody Banks (8 out of 10) - There is something subdued and not exactly overthe top in this approach to spykid movies. The coming of age movie with the adventure twist is done with style and fun.

22. The In-Laws (8 out of 10) - The usual crazy, zany screwball humor with Michael Douglas once again breaking out of his shell with Albert Brooks.

23. Alex and Emma (8 out of 10) - Definitely a charming, rewarding romantic comedy film worth the price of Luke Wilson and Kate Hudson getting to try out multiple parts and roles.

24. Anger Management (7 out of 10) - An uneven but enjoyable ride.

25. Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (7 out of 10) - A overthetop action thriller that is mindless but who cares - it has a lot of energy, implicit sex, and explosive summer scenes.

26. Italian Job, The (7 out of 10) - Pushing the envelope of adventure actions - this eye-popping caper has it all...while not setting a new standards, it carries out its mission within the confines of existing companion movies well.

27. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (7 out of 10) - A creative, enjoyable action, comic book, literary exploration of characters that stretches credibility, but loads up the screen with a lot of thrilling scenes.

28. Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (7 out of 10) - A competent, entertaining sequel with a funny plot.

29. Hollywood Homicide (7 out of 10) - Another police-comedy, partner clashing rendition - it's just fun how Harrison Ford does his deal.

30. A View From The Top (7 out of 10) - A Different, Dorky, But Solid Comedy.

31. X-2 (7 out of 10) - A Techno-Thriller, but With Really Irritating Plot Flaws.

32. Bullet Proof Monk (7 out of 10) - Notch above the average martial arts movie. It brings a refreshing new breeze of comedy along with dramatic harder elements.

33. The Recruit (7 out of 10) - Predictable, Weak, But Completely Entertaining.

34. Shanghai Knights (7 out of 10) - A Fun, Mindless Movie.

35. Matrix Reloaded (6 out of 10) - Overstated and outragious special effects with a confusing collision of ideas - losing its way into deeper mysticism.

36. Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over (6 out of 10) - An irritating bit of rehashed ideas that have overplayed their game credits and the usual 3-D ploy whose time hasn't quite come yet.

37. Tears of the Sun (6 out of 10) - A Decent but Not Outstanding Movie.

38. S.W.A.T. (4 out of 10) - A tired version of supercop movies with nothing new to offer.

Couldn't you narrow that down a little? This is more like a list of half the movies you've seen over the past two or three months -- and it seems to skip many of the releases for earlier in the year so it can't be called "updated. . .2003 Rankings." And why date it "May" when you are entering it September 1st? Do you mean May-Sept. viewings?

No Subtitles No Problem

2003 looks to me like a good year for English-language movies. It certainly looks better than 2002, a mediocre year for films from English-speaking nations. My opinion is based not only on the high quality films I've seen this year, but on the well-received films I still have to catch up on and the promising ones ready for fall release.

Any Day Now
    Lost in Translation, Kill Bill, Mystic River, Movern Callar, Sweet Sixteen, Holes, Shape of Things.

Coming Attractions
    Cannes Winner Elephant; 21 Grams, from the team that made Amores Perros and starring Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro, Tim Burton's Big Fish; The Girl with the Pearl Earrings, with Scarlett Johanssen as Vermeer's model;LOTR 3; Errol Morris' The Fog of War, Jane Campion's In The Cut, Norman Jewison's The Statement, Robert Altman's The Company, House of Sand and Fog, Cold Mountain, with Kidman and Zellweger; Sundance winner Pieces of April.

The Best So Far
    The movie with most emotional impact on me is the Irish The Magdalene Sisters from actor-turned-director Peter Mullan. Hollywood released three of the most graceful, lively, big-hearted comedies in recent memory. Perhaps best is Disney's Finding Nemo because of the inspired visuals and bizarre tidbits. School of Rock is the perfect showcase for Jack Black's inmense comedic talents. Down with Love is the best secret at the rental store: A period('62) romantic comedy full of double entendres, inventive sight gags that make inspired use of the widescreen format, and a lush musical score. From Canada, Cronenberg's Spider. Two films that combine documentary and narrative techniques:American Splendor and Charles Burnett's Warming Up by the Devil's Fire . Capturing The Friedmans. The avant-garde feature Decasia. Two superb Amerindies: Raising Victor Vargas and All The Real Girls. Two irreverent, relative obscurities: Masked and Anonymous, with Bob Dylan and Buffalo Soldiers with Joaquim Phoenix and Anna Paquin. Dogville, with Ms. Kidman.(US Release dates pending, I watched it on import dvd) .I also liked Whale Rider, I Capture the Castle and 28 Days Later and hope the makers of Northfork, Dirty Pretty Things and 13 try again.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 10-14-2003 at 12:29 AM.

The year so far

I'm happier than last year at this time with what releases we've had. Not so much heavy political brow-beating. (I see Michael Moore hasn't got it out of his system yet...)

Kill Bill is a riot of cinematic lore. If you can't roll with it, I have no sympathy. By now you should understand QT's motivation. He's the ultimate film geek, and I would be able to chat him up for hours. I relate to him very much. He didn't go to film school- "I went to films" he said. Damn straight.
    Video Archives- seems to be a better education than UCLA...

I didn't see "Seabiscuit". I could see the baby boomers cheering way before it hit theatres. It's another "Chariots of Fire". Not that that is a bad thing: it did win Best Picture.
    Stupid name for a horse, btw. Champion or not.

Mystic River is looking to be Eastwood's greatest effort. Gavin Smith raves about it in Film Comment. I like Clint very much so I'm a little excited. And Sean Penn will get me into a theatre seat without much arm-twisting. The guy is electric. Add Tim Robbins, Mr. Bacon, and yeah I'm sure I'll like it.

Elephant is the one I've really got my eye on. Palm D'or winner? OK. It had better be a supreme work to beat Kiarostami's TEN. I haven't seen Pieces of April either. I got some catching up to do.

Lost in Translation. Hmm. Bill Murray is hit and miss with me. It has the Coppola name on the poster, so it has piqued my interest. Scarlet is a darling. Ghost World, anyone? She's carving out a nice little career. And she's a young woman still....

Oscar! Is Russian Ark better than Dogville? Or can you compare them? I have an inkling Trier will be my savior this year- Young Americans....oh yeah baby. "Mandalay" is up next for him.
    BTW, are you a Marlins fan? hee hee

And where is Greenaway when I need him? I am dying to see part 1 of the Tulse Luper Trilogy (The Moab Story). It should play here sometime in the near future. Gotta keep scouring the papers..

Disney's HOLES was an enjoyable rental. (I love Patricia Arquette and you should get a kick out of Voight)
    Big Fish stars Ewan McGregor and he says he had a fantastic time working with Burton.

This time last year I had few films in English to recommend. I'm glad we're not seeing a repeat of 2002.
    I keep updating my list on page 1, which includes foreign language films. My favorites are The Son, Zhang Yimou's Hero (the most visually ravishing), Mondays in the Sun, with Javier Bardem, and Russian Ark, which is a daring stunt, an experiment that works, simple yet so refined, with camera movement out of a Marcel Ophuls film. Think The Earrings of Madame de... or La Ronde, but ONE(1) take! It feels perfect to me. I think it a greater achievement than Dogville, but Trier offers plot, compelling, resonant themes, actors and ...controversy. And just like Greenaway's Suitcases and Yimou's Hero, no North American release dates.

Marlins fan? You bet, but one of those that payed attention only when they started winning. Can't help but fall in love with a bunch of inexperienced low-pay rookies nobody thought would be here.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast