Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: INTERSTELLAR (Christopher Nolan, 2014)

Probably saw different movies

Johann comments that when 2001 came out that it was deemed "incomprehensible." What really struck me was how profound the Interstellar script was in incorporating the quantum physic of time transportation (Scientific American: A Matter of Time (December 2014)). Much like Kubrick's 2001 space journey, Interstellar has accomplished a similar fantastic vision that is the essence of film. At the same, Christopher Nolan retained the relational humanity between people that Kubrick's 2001 seemed to leave out of his movie. What Christopher has accomplished to broadening the canvas of film to incorporate an epic vision of the future by focusing on the global implications of science fiction and yet also keeping the vital lifeforce of humanity's emotional essence that 2001 left out. For me, this is a huge accomplishment.

I probably saw a completely different movie from Johann.

The "humanity" in 2001 is on full display when Dave rescues Frank, and mercilessly shuts down the computer, HAL.
    Interstellar had nothing comparable to that. Where was the interesting juxtaposition of futuristic technology that "never makes a mistake", yet is so much more neurotic than his guardians? They were really winging it in Interstellar. The problems they didn't anticipate are nothing like the problems Dave & Frank and the whole crew of the Discovery were doled out.

No, we didn't see the same movie. :)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Tabuno- have you seen this? Erik Wernquist's Wanderers. This looks better than Interstellar, and is more comparable to 2001. And it's just a trailer.

www.erikwernquist.com/wanderers

Alien and Ripley's Cat

As for humanitarian sci fi movies, almost nothing tops Ripley's efforts to saving her cat in Alien (1979).

Ok...Wanderers blew my mind off into space...thanks...I hope I find my way back.
    Last edited by tabuno; 02-05-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Ripley's cat? Isn't that being more loyal to felines rather than humans?

Glad you like Wanderers. I think it's tremendous.
    I'm waiting for someone to do Dune properly. Jodorowsky would've done it justice, but someone like Darren Aronofsky could do it better.

More Aliens?

Talking about sci fi movie reboots. I hear that an Alien sequel is on its way. Or is that two more Alien movies are on the way?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123