Thread: Stanley kubrick: The exhibition

Threaded View

Stanley kubrick: The exhibition

STANLEY KUBRICK was the greatest film director we've ever known. There are many many film directors and artists, but none are as thought-provoking or Visionary as Stanley. I had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit the Stanley Kubrick Exhibition in Toronto at the Bell Lightbox, and I feel very blessed. I now have a PhD. in film appreciation. Entry was timed, at half-hour intervals, and I was lucky enough to find myself alone for a half hour in the 4th floor gallery where all of his lenses were housed.
    It was Christmas eve, and no one stirring, just me and my camera. That gallery also had framed and mounted film posters for every one of his films, his motion picture cameras, the mind-boggling CHARTS he made up for his productions, his Napoleon project items, Aryan Papers items, and Artificial Intelligence items- all meticulously presented and immaculately preserved. His filing cabinet of Napoleon research was there, along with his complete collection of history books on Napoleon Bonaparte. There were hand-written letters and studio stationary from Audrey Hepburn, Kirk Douglas, Eli Wallach...his wife Christiane's paintings of her husband, and the most impressive collection of lenses I've ever laid my eyes on. And I took many photos, as was my wont. I will add an album of my "non-professional photography with no flash" that was permitted to this thread in due time. It was a challenge, as I was under a time constraint and every artifact/display has different lighting. I was a man on a mission tho, and the photo albums I can now make for myself and for anyone who I'd like to share with are INCREDIBLE. I didn't fuck around in there. I felt a sense of immense reverence and awe that cannot be explained in words. This man was more than a Giant. He lived a life that we all wish we had the nuts to do.
    Before I went into the 4th floor gallery of the TIFF Bell Lightbox (it opened on a TIMED LOCKING mechanism!)I was chatting with a lady who was in her 60's who volunteers for the exhibit. She said: What an achievement this man accomplished. What a life, what a Legacy to leave the world... I couldn't agree more. I said a very audible "OH MY GOD" when I got to the gallery on the fourth floor. Just peeking in to the gallery was insane. The film posters...meticulously mounted and framed...a giant one for Barry Lyndon, a quad, the ORIGINAL posters for EYES WIDE SHUT designed by Christiane- all three of them, a huge French Paths of Glory...I didn't want to leave, Mang!
    Last edited by Johann; 12-25-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd