Thread: Stanley kubrick: The exhibition

Hybrid View

Spartacus had a nice display- they were all amazing, actually. Costumes...glorious film stills, a letter to "Stan" from Kirk Douglas, and most walls of the exhibits had blurbs and quotes about the films in question, and there was one wall in each display that had scenes from the films projected right onto it. Lolita had an amazing chest-high wall-long series of 35mm slides or color film cells that I just marvelled at. Sue Lyon was a Babe...They seemed to be lit from below, to illuminate the slides. I was just gobsmacked looking at them...they were like View-Master slides! But made by God! lol

I learned that the HI THERE! on the bomb ridden by Slim Pickens was hand-painted on there by Stanley himself.
    He made his films BY HAND, folks. And there was nobody better at it.
    This is "The Man" that Jack Nicholson was referring to. Kubrick's passion for his work was on a scale most people can't comprehend.
    This exhibition will drill that into your cerebral cortex.
    The Strangelove display has the original invitations to the film's premiere, with "Never held- the day Kennedy was shot" written in red on them. 2001 has its' premiere invite tickets on display too. I wondered what the starchild was gonna look like. It is a doll, one of the finest ever created, with amazing eyes. It's about 2 and a half to 3 feet tall. There was a full body man-ape on display, and one of the heads worn by Daniel Richter. The monolith is life-size...maybe 8 or 9 feet tall, and it stands in the center of the 2001 display before you enter the special gallery with all the models, props, lenses and ship cut-outs. Yes, those ships you see in the film? With exception of the models, those are razor-thin pieces of paper, cut meticulously with an exacto knife. (they seem to be cut with lasers! lol) Kubrick did all this stuff ON FILM, there was no digital trickery with this man. This is why he's the greatest of All-Time. It has to do with what he did with the medium, how he shoved it all forward, setting the standard for everybody. That is his Genius. Being groundbreaking. Knowing what's lacking in film and doing what needs to be done to "correct" it.

I love you Stanley.
    Last edited by Johann; 01-25-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

That's a nice tribute, Johann. Sounds like an excellent exhibit. I wish I could see it. The founder of IMDB calls "Eyes Wide Shut" his annual Christmas movie.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Thanks cinemabon. You'd love it- especially the 2001 stuff, I'm sure.

My photo album and videos are ready. Chris- do you know of a smooth way to add them to this thread? Is it just URL's?

You can incorporate your URL into a verbal hyperlink. To do that, first copy your url, then write, say, "My Album" here in the thread, then scan the words you're just written with your cursor, then click on the "link" icon above, then paste your url into the box that appears, and click "okay."

OK. I'll give it a try.

Little known Kubrick fact: he hated to be called "Stan". Anyone who called him Stan was an enemy. The only one who ever got away with calling Stanley Stan was Jack Nicholson.

Kubrick Exhibition video 1

Kubrick Exhibition video 2