Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stanley kubrick: The exhibition

The TIFF film hyping the Kubrick exhibition and selling tickets for it never mentions that it originated in Germany ten years ago. American museums also I've noticed claim big exhibitions for their own when they originated in the UK or Europe. A mere oversight no doubt :) This one was "down" for two years, 2009 and 2010, between Rome and Paris. I wonder why. Big shows when remounted can be better or worse depending on the spaces and decisions of the locals setting them up. A bigger space can be better or a more intimate one. A major Giocometti show was spoiled in one venue where I saw it by being set up in over-large spaces that dwarfed the thin pared-down sculptures. When I saw it in another with smaller rooms and lower ceilings it was far more effective. The length of time this Kubrick show was up has varied, two, three, five months, the longest by far being at the Los Angeles County Museum, where it was on for an exceptional seven months. The details below are culled from the original Frankfort am Main exhibition website found here.

Exhibition Tour

Current Presentation

Toronto
    TIFF Bell Lightbox Building, http://tiff.net/
    October 31, 2014 until January 25, 2015

Upcoming Presentations

Monterrey (Mexiko)
    MARCO – Museo de Arte Contemporáneo
    March until July 2015

Past Presentations

Krakow
    National Museum (Muzeum Narodowe w Krakowie)
    May 4 until September 14, 2014

São Paulo
    MIS – Museu da Imagem e do Som, www.mis-sp.org.br
    October 9, 2013 to January 12, 2014

Los Angeles
    Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), www.lacma.org
    November 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013

Amsterdam
    EYE Filminstitut Netherlands, www.eyefilm.nl
    June 21, 2012 to September 9, 2012

Paris
    Cinémathèque française, Website
    March 23, 2011 to July 31, 2011

Rome
    Palazzo delle Esposizioni
    October 6, 2007 to January 6, 2008

Zürich
    Kulturhaus SihlCity
    April 26 to September 2, 2007

Gent
    Caermersclooster
    October 5, 2006 to January 7, 2007

Melbourne
    Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI)
    November 25, 2005 to January 29, 2006

Berlin
    Martin-Gropius-Bau Berlin
    January 20 to April 18, 2005

Frankfurt am Main
    Deutsches Filmmuseum and Deutsches Architekturmuseum
    March 31 to July 04, 2004
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-04-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks for this info. You add something with every post Chris. And it's always of a high order.

I didn't know about the Los Angeles exhibition. Will you be able to attend the Monterey? It's interesting what cities were chosen, and how there are gaps in its' presentation. Something else to note: the guide to the exhibition says that a person could tour the exhibition satisfactorily in one hour. That's ridiculous. Only if you took a glance at things would it take an hour. At the two-hour mark I had made it to the Full Metal Jacket display, and I took my time in each gallery. You can easily double that, and I could've spent all day there, fan that I am. You simply can't see everything once and take it all in at one time. Like his films, repeat visits are ideal. But I live in another city and had to get home for Christmas day.

A security guard told me that he worked on the last exhibition held for David Cronenberg, and that while it was an amazing exhibition, HARDLY ANYONE WENT. He said TIFF staff told him the Cronenberg Exhibition qualifies as a failure. I didn't like hearing that.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

YOu didn't know about the LA showing. Did you know about all the other ones, Rome, Paris, Zurich, Gent, Melbourne, Berlin, Krakow, Sao Paolo, Amsterdam? The Monterey one is in Monterey, Mexico. I will not be going down. It's a 6-7 hour plane flight from San Francisco. The time for me to have seen this show would have been the seven months at LACMA. The Cronenberg show might partly have been a flop because it was poorly publicized. He must have fans in Canada, don't you think?

I don't like spending more than an hour in a show, no matter what it is. You could come back though for a second look.

I'd see it again in a heartbeat. I knew about all the other shows but not L.A. or Brazil.
    David Cronenberg has many Canadian fans- especially in Toronto. I've seen photos of his exhibition and it looks as great as Kubrick's was. The Kubrick exhibition was what I would call immaculate. It was so well thought-out and planned that I think Stanley would at least appreciate the effort. I have to say again that the best part of the exhibition was the photographs from his movie sets. The way they were mounted and displayed and framed was gorgeous. The Kubricks didn't merely take pictures. They actually had the "Master of All Things Film" in the house. He regarded his films and his life as History. And I'm very blessed to have seen his Legacy up close and Personal.

The German description of the exhibition says it includes Kubrick's photos, that he was a photographer before he started directing.

Now HERE'S a book I would love to have. It is now sold out, a total collector's item, and at $3000 I probably will never own a copy:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQjGGxSy2M

And the recent book on the making of 2001 you mentioned Chris: (Stanley would have loved the cat entering the frame- Ecstatic Truth)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTFKHM-nUw
    Last edited by Johann; 02-05-2015 at 02:22 AM.

This would be cool to own:

And This:

Your point about the locals setting up the exhibitions is duly noted. After seeing the photos from other cities hosting the Kubrick Exhibition I have to say Los Angeles did a fantastic job. It looks better than the spaces Toronto set up.

Not surprising if LACMA did the show better than TIFF, it's a great museum, after all, the TIFF venue less experienced.

The Napoleon book is available for as "little" as $174 via Amazon.com (US). but it would not be for me, only for the true Kubrick devotee/fanatic, like you. The one about 2001 I spoke of was a little cheap paperback from a long time back. The 2001 set of books in the video, Taschen's The Making of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, looks nice, a very pretty design. On Taschen's site it says it's sold out, and sells for $1,000, or $1,500. Or $750, originally? Limited to 1,500 copies, signed by Kubrick's wife. On eBay there's a copy for $2,000.

There are a lot of Kubrick-related books.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-05-2015 at 08:53 AM.

The Amazon Napoleon book is the reprint, as is The Stanley Kubrick Archives. I want original copies or none at all. And they (including The Making of 2001) are way out of my price range. But beautiful books they are. Taschen is an amazing publisher.
    Those books are sheer scholarship.

I noticed something amazing about my Kubrick photo album a few months ago. Now I feel like sharing about it.

The New York Post newspaper that Tom Cruise held in Eyes Wide Shut (with the "Lucky To Be Alive" headline) has a date and weather on it, at the top. I zoomed in on it to see. It is dated Wednesday December 24th, 1997, with Cloudy and Chilly as the weather.

The day I went to that Kubrick Exhibition was the exact same day, 17 years later. And the weather in Toronto was indeed Cloudy and Chilly. Do you believe in synchronicity? I do. Without Question.

This exhibition is currently in Seoul, Korea.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123