Thread: INHERENT VICE (2014 dir. PT Anderson)

INHERENT VICE (2014 dir. PT Anderson)

I loved Inherent Vice, an irreverent movie with gorgeous imagery and bizarre dialogue that bamboozles you- I had a little trouble following the plot. You might be forgiven if you thought this was a Quentin Tarantino film. The music is incredible, and the dialogue gets as rapid-fire as Tarantino in his best movies.

Joaquin Phoenix is "Doc" Sportello, a stoner "detective" who gets caught up in some wild shenanigans. I won't spoil anything for you- just know that for the most part it is hilarious. Josh Brolin steals the movie from everybody. The final scene with him eating a joint was worth the price of the ticket alone. I had a ball watching this movie, and the scene where Doc looks at the heroin baby picture had me laughing out loud. Joaquin Phoenix is one cool dude. Everytime I saw him light up a big joint I wanted to light one myself. (Although I don't think the 70's had such powerful ganja- I've heard the joints back then were pinners and very weak. Here Joaquin is smoking fatties of what looks to be some potent herb...)

Dreamy movie with glorious visuals and music, as only a student of Kubrick can do. (PT Anderson met Stanley on the set of Eyes Wide Shut, by invitation)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    I loved Inherent Vice, an irreverent movie with gorgeous imagery and bizarre dialogue that bamboozles you- I had a little trouble following the plot. . . Here Joaquin is smoking fatties of what looks to be some potent herb...)

Dreamy movie with glorious visuals and music, as only a student of Kubrick can do. (PT Anderson met Stanley on the set of Eyes Wide Shut, by invitation)
    "A little trouble following the plot" is putting it mildly. I couldn't follow it at all, and that was the whole trouble. Otherwise it might have been great. Obviously it is very clever and has many good scenes and actors. PTA is one of the American living directors I most admire. But he lost me with this one (seen in the NYFF last fall, and at a gala debut presentation). I figured the fatties would appeal to you. It's a total stoner movie. And who can follow a plot anyway when he's stoned? But still, this may not have been the best choice for Anderson's first literary adaptation. Or Pynchon lite the best Pynchon.

It requires repeat viewings, and probably repeat bong hits. LOL

In a Kubrick documentary some talking head (maybe Richard Schickel?) said that cinephiles appreciate Kubrick in a very un-complicated way, and I think the same applies now to PT Anderson. What's in the frame? Glory.
    And on that level Inherent Vice soars. Could more attention be paid to the plot (which is outrageous) and how it's advanced? Sure.
    I'm just glad that cinematic films are still being made, by a select few. Critically speaking, this film could be a failure, as the acting doesn't really drive the story home, does it?

I forgive it for the cinema and the music. And I'll buy the DVD. Because it may be the best stoner movie since Up In Smoke. Thank you Paul Thomas Anderson. And never stop... You got the eye!
    Last edited by Johann; 03-30-2015 at 12:50 PM.

It obviously requires repeated viewings to begin to decode the plot with any ease, but if your dope is strong you shouldn't need too many bong hits. I recommend taking special brownies and consuming one or two midway to freshen up your high. (In fact I always hated watching movies stoned, when I went out, anyway, and I do not touch the stuff any more.) Seriously though to appreciated and follow the action of Inherent Vice the film it would obviously be advisable to read the book, or at least carefully study summaries thereof. Some of the scenes are good, as can be told from the trailer (which doubtless Anderson had a hand in; he has taken a strong interest, and I remember his praise of the powerful and simple one Kubrick crafted for The Shining). But I think this is not one of PTA's real successes, though he always provides quality even when it's a misfire. Nonetheless I am glad you saw it, and hope you will see other hits from the 2014 NYFF such as Gone Girl, Birdman, Mr. Turner, Timbuktu, Saint Laurent; Two Days, One Night; and though I literally hated them the high profile Whiplash, Foxcatcher, and Maps to the Stars.

INHERENT VICE TRAILER
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 03-30-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Great stuff. Yes, I think Inherent Vice is my least favorite PTA movie. I still loved it. There Will Be Blood is my favorite. Daniel Day-Lewis is incendiary in that one: "I am a Sinner. I've abandoned my child!!!!!"

I've never read any Pynchon, not a one. After seeing Inherent Vice I have no clue what to make of him.
    As for being stoned while watching movies, it can be awesome or it can be impossible to concentrate, depending on how strong your mota is...Inherent Vice may still bamboozle you even with burnt plant matter.
    I guess it's personal. When I met Tommy Chong at the 24th VIFF for his doc on his jail time, people lit up in the movie theatre, which I thought was illegal. They allowed it, no one was arrested, they played the movie in it's entirety. Do you know any theatres where smoking the herb is kosher? I imagine they are scant few.

I have read no Pynchon either, feel he might be hard going. I read reviews of Inherent Vice in connection with this movie, and they said it is atypical of his work, more lightweight and satirical. As for mota-friendly cinemas, smoking anything is taboo these days in them. As I mentioned, pot cookies or brownies would be the best option and also delivers a long-lasting high, thus carrying you all the way through your space odyssey. So they say.