Thread: Tomorrowland

Hybrid View

This is a complete disappointment, I agree. Raffey Cassidy is a discovery -- she was really cool, and Thomas Robinson could have a career. The retro future theme growing out of the 1964 New York World's Fair delighted me, but that is quickly dropped in favor of meaningless battles of gadgetry and a plot full of pointless running around. I am impressed that you could parse it and Justin Chang in Variety (who is as unfavorable as you, maybe more so) spells it out in such great detail. I could barely stay awake long enough to summarize it and only inertia kept me sitting through the whole thing.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-24-2015 at 04:16 PM.

"Even when delivered with the best intentions, a lecture is a wretched substitute for wonder." Justin Chang, Variety. So eloquent, so precise, so true. Thanks, Chris. (I wish I could write as well.)
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

The Variety critics are pros, and he's one of the top ones besides.

A Breathtaking, Optimistic Vision of the Future

I've been waiting months for this movie and I wasn't at all disappointed. This movie has a wonderful, refreshing, detailed vision of a bright future that is all too often missing in today's movies. What is interesting is that the underlying theme about how one's attitude about the future may like Hari Seldon from Isaac Asimov's Foundation using Psychohistory predicted from mass behavior either the wonderful or terrible future it can create. Tomorrowland is well-paced, with fantastic visuals that become the foreground at times to the plot. The movie also has heart, again often missing in too many movies, as well as a mystery with a great and authentic twist. I would think Walt Disney would be proud of this movie. This is a movie more of the general public could use a great deal more of right now.