Thread: Omar Sharif (1932-2015)

Omar Sharif (1932-2015)

Anyone who knows cinema history knows the name Omar Sharif. He has gone to be with the cinema Gods at age 83.

I admired him and his roles. His work with David Lean is well-known. Another screen legend departs...
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I just moved from Raleigh, so things are kind of a mess here. I saw the news and ran to this site right away. I've been a big fan of his for a very long time. He made himself available to all his fans and was a great person both on and off the set. Omar (I've forgotten his real name) was a prolific bridge player and did so for many years, playing not only in other countries but also in many venues around the United States where fans got to meet him (and where I met him). He was full of many great stories, had an infectious laugh, and loved his liquor! He starred in two of my all-time greatest movies (Lawrence and Doc Zhiv). Taken out of the ranks of amateur, Shariff embraced his stardom with great humility. Here is a link to one of many news articles that have peppered the internet today.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news...-83/ar-AAcOffk
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Amazing that you got to meet him. That's history, and to be treasured. I think I'll buy the Zhivago DVD in his honor. I've never had it my collection. Omar made a mark.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Check out my review of Dr. Z in the classics part of this website... I did the David Lean stuff and gave an extensive background.

Here's the link: http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.p...-the-film-epic

The full review starts about half way down the page after "Bridge" and "Lawrence."
    Last edited by cinemabon; 07-10-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Omar Sharif, whose surname means "the noble man" in Arabic,[5][6] was born on 10 April 1932,[7] as Michel Demitri Chalhoub[8] in Alexandria, Egypt,[9] to a Melkite Greek Catholic family of Syrian-Lebanese (Levantine) descent. Wikipedia.

I remember him fondly for François Dupeyron's 2003 Monsieur Ibrahim (Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran). Also saw him in a florid Arabic historical film The Mamluks (al-Mamalik) in Cairo. And of course Lawrence of Arabia. Never liked that sentimental bore, Dr. Zhivago. He had some good and not-so-good senior roles. He was a gambling addict. His son reported in May that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 07-12-2015 at 11:55 AM.