Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BEST MOVIES OF 2015 - what are they?

BEST MOVIES OF 2015 - what are they?

What are the best movies of 2015?

Documentaries
    Last year my list of good documentaries overflowed. It included, favorites at the top:
    The Overnighters
    Point and Shoot
    The Internet's Own Boy
    Seymour: An Introduction
    Llyn Foulkes One Man Band
    Citizenfour
    Happy Valley
    Life Itself
    Tales of the Grim Sleeper
    Last of the Unjust
    Particle Fever
    Jodorovsky's Dune
    The Missing Picture
    12 O'Clock Boys
    The Kill Team
    Rich Hill
    Finding Vivian Meier
    Red Army
    and
    National Gallery

Here is list of of best documentaries so far from three staff members of Playlist. I have not seen all of them. Some I would definitely include, others not; I consciously avoided watching several that I could have seen screeners of because I didn't like the topics or the directors' previous work (Meru, The Look of Silence, The Sale of the Earth).

Amy
    Best of Enemies
    The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution
    Cartel Land
    Dreamcatcher
    Scientology [Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief]
    The Hunting Ground
    Iris
    Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck
    The Life And Mind Of Mark DeFriest
    Listen To Me Marlon
    The Look of Silence
    Meru
    An OPen Secret
    The Pearl Button
    A Poem Is a Naked Person
    The Salt of the Earth
    The Seven Five
    (T)error
    Thought Crimes: The Case of the Cannibal Cop
    We Come As Friends
    Western

The Wolfpack

Honorable Mentions included
    Tales of the Grim Sleeper
    The Wolfpack

I'd consider The Wolfpack one of the year's best, for sure.
    I'd also consider including, if they qualify:
    Last Days in Vietnam (but NYC realese was 2014)
    The Wrecking Crew (2008, but NYC release March 2015)
    Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem (2014; US theatrical Feb. 2015)
    What Happened, Miss Simone? (2015)
    Dior and I (2015)

Coming:
    Where to Invade Next (Michael Moore)[
    There is another Nina Simone doc this year; I have not seen it yet.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-03-2016 at 07:12 PM.

What are the best US-released feature films of the year 2015 so far (August)?

Well, I have no idea. But as a starting point, here is a month-by-month list of "best" US releases compiled by the Guardian, which I've augmented (there are major gaps - maybe it's a UK list?). Click on the title below for brief descriptions of each film. I'll highlight the ones I will want to remember at year's end.

Guardian film: The best films of 2015 (so far)

ADČLE HAENEL AND KÉVIN AZAĎS IN LOVE AT FIRST FIBHT/LES COMBATTANTS

January
    A Most Violent Year JC Chandor
    Girlhood (Céline Sciamma)

Paddington Paul King
    The Duke of Burgundy Peter Strickland
    Timbuktu Abderrahmane Sissako

February
    '71 - Yann Demange
    Eastern Boys - Robin Campillo
    Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem - Ronit Elkabetz, Shlomi Elkabetz

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water Paul Tibbitt
    Kingsman: The Secret Service Matthew Vaughn
    What We Do in the Shadows Jemaine Clement amd Taika Waititi
    Wild Tales Damián Szifron
    Maps to the Stars David Cronenberg

March
    Buzzard Joel Potrykus
    It Follows David Robert Mitchell
    Home Tim Johnson
    While We’re Young Noah Baumbach
    White God Kornél Mundruczó

April
    Furious 7 James Wan
    Clouds of Sils Maria Olivier Assayas
    Ex Machina Alex Garland
    Unfriended Levan Gabriadze

May
    Avengers: Age of Ultron Joss Whedon
    Far from the Madding Crowd Thomas Vinterberg
    Heaven Knows What (Safdies)
    In the Name of My Daughter (L'homme qu'on aimait trop) André Téchiné
    The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared Felix Herngren
    Mad Max: Fury Road George Miller
    Slow West John Maclean
    Tu dors Nicole - Stéphane Lafleur
    Heaven Knows What Joshua and Ben Safdie

June
    Dope - Rick Famuyiwa
    Love & Mercy Bill Pohlad
    Inside Out Pete Docter
    The Wolfpack Crystal Moselle
    Eden Mia Hansen-Lřve

July
    Amy Asif Kapadia
    Court (Tamhane) 68
    Tangerine Sean S. Baker
    The End of the Tour James Ponsoldt

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Christopher McQuarrie

August
    The Gift Joel Edgerton
    The Diary of a Teenage Girl Marielle Heller
    Mistress America Noah Baumbach
    Tom at the Farm Xavier Dolan

September
    Breathe/ Respire - Mélanie Laurent
    Some of these that have come in for praise I don't even like, such as Maps to the Stars, It Follows, While We're Young, White God, and Clouds of Sils Maria, the repulsive Unfriended. I didn't like The Gift well enough to write a review; but I see people are liking it. Ex Machina is in the self-important category. I have missed some -- Sponge Bob, 100-Year-Old Man, What We Do in the Shadows, can't even remember hearing of the poorly-received animation, Home. Tom at the Farm has not come to Northern California - yet, anyway, or was shown in one Landmark Theatre for one day. NYC 13th of Aug. when Holden of the Times made it a Critics Pick.

I rate Timbuktu very highly. I love this film. The Wolfpack made a big impression on me. I can see listing A Most Violent Year and Wild Tales. Not such favorites of mine, but I can see Mad Max and Inside Out are going to be top-rated for the year. Maybe Amy and The End of the Tour are going to look pretty darn good at year's end.

To the Best Foreign list I want to add the May-June US released French film Thomas Cailley's Love at First Fight (Les Combattants). It is coming out on US DVD (Strand) next month; I just re-watched it and I found even more depth, originality, and charm in it the second time through. US critics have missed something - a lot, actually - given that its Metacritic rating is only 63 while its AlloCiné French press score is a whopping 4.1. My review.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 09-05-2015 at 08:43 AM.

D'Angelo's in-progress 2015 top ten list plus.

Here we go with Mike D'Angelo again. But I like his Cannes and Toronto Tweet reviews and precise 1-100 numerical ratings and rankings of films. Besides that he pursues his constantly changing best-of-the-year list assiduously (and openly
    -- on his website) throughout the year. Here is his Ten Best of 2015 as of the fifth of September preceded by their numerical rating.
    83 Sicario (Denis Villeneuve)-US wide release 18 September ff.
    82-Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sang-soo)-NYFF
    80-Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller)
    77-The Forbidden Room (Guy Maddin)-NYFF
    76-Carol (Todd Haynes)-NYFF
    75-The Witch: A New England Folktale (Robert Eggers)
    70-Mustang (Deniz Gamze Ergüven)
    69-My Golden Days (Arnaud Desplechin)-NYFF
    68-The Overnight (Patrick Brice)
    67-Green Room (Jeremy Saulnier)
    Doubtless others will arrive to push some down the rank or eliminate them. He already has a few dozen other movies ranked below this temporary top ten, here, and he warns that he dates them all by the year in which they premiered, so it doesn't correspond to the US-release list.

That was then. Here is his list as of October 19:
    Sicario (Denis Villeneuve)
    Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sang-soo)
    Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller)
    The Forbidden Room (Guy Maddin)
    Carol (Todd Haynes)
    The Witch: A New England Folktale (Robert Eggers)
    Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson)
    The Martian (Ridley Scott)
    Mustang (Deniz Gamze Ergüven)
    My Golden Days (Arnaud Desplechin)
    His next 25 (I won't give the numerical ratings, but they're ranked by them and they go down from 66 to 56. In his system 55-65 is B-, "recommended with strong reservations."). NYFF ones are marked and ones I've reviewed are marked CK.
    Inside Out (Pete Docter)-CK
    James White (Josh Mond)
    Rams (Grímur Hákonarson)
    Far From the Madding Crowd (Thomas Vinterberg)-CK
    Dope (Rick Famuyiwa)-CK
    The Lobster (Yorgos Lanthimos)-NYFF
    Yakuza Apocalypse (Takashi Miike)
    3˝ Minutes, Ten Bullets (Marc Silver)
    Youth (Paolo Sorrentino)--[WISH IT WERE IN NYFF]
    Cobain: Montage of Heck (Brett Morgen)--JUST MISSED SEEING -- CALIF.
    Tangerine (Sean Baker)-CK
    Son of Saul (László Nemes)--NYFF Film Comment Selects, will be screened
    Invention (Mark Lewis)
    Amy (Asif Kapadia)-CK
    The Nightmare (Rodney Ascher)
    The Measure of a Man (Stéphane Brizé)--NYFF
    Mississippi Grind (Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck)
    Our Little Sister (Kore-eda Hirokazu)
    Experimenter: The Stanley Milgram Story (Michael Almereyda)--NYFF
    Irrational Man (Woody Allen)-CK
    Cemetery of Splendour (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)-NYFF
    Louder Than Bombs (Joachim Trier)--WISH THIS WERE IN THE NYFF
    Advantageous (Jennifer Phang)
    Mistress America (Noah Baumbach)-CK
    The D Train (Jarrad Paul & Andrew Mogel)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 10-19-2015 at 03:32 AM.

New best features (English language).

These (seen in NYC lately or coming in the NYFF) are likely entries for the English language Best Features list:

99 Homes
    Mississippi Grind
    Sicario

Sicario is a shoe-in, Mississippi Grind is growing on me. There's hope the NYFF English language features coming soon will add more, Carol, Brooklyn, Maggie's Plan, Bridge of Spies, Miles Ahead, Steve Jobs. A lot of people like Tangerine. I did like it visually. I was disappointed in Experimenter. I'm considering The Walk (English and French).

As per my comment to cinemabon, THE MARTIAN needs to go up in the year's best somwhwere, and D'Angelo has put it in the #8 plast in his top ten, displacing Saulnier's THE GREEN ROOM. I would put SON OF SAUL (Nemes) up there, since it was my #2 after CAROL at the NYFF. He has also put ANIMALISA up in his top ten; I haven't seen it, nor have I seen THE GREEN ROOM, MUSTANG or THE WITCH. Not sure I'd put MY GOLDEN DAYS up there; I'd perhaps put Brizé's THE MEASURE OF A MAN higher than he does. I can't decide, to ber honest. The London fog has addled my brain this morning.

But the point is, THE MARTIAN has an assured high place, along with CAROL and SICARIO.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 10-19-2015 at 03:35 AM.

This thread reminds me of how many films I've missed while in Harper's gulag. ha ha

I made a pledge to go Supernova on movies. Stand back...
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I hope you get to see the good ones. I'm lucky with the Lincoln Center and San Francisco Film Society events I attend each year, which are key ones in my film schedule. But I haven't been able to see those three I mentioned and many more.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 11-18-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Back in NYC for the weekend (6-9 Nov. 2015) only. THEEB, the Qatar/Jordan co-production omitted from ND/NF press screenings in March, came out in NYC yesterday 6 Nov. 2015 and I will be able to review it soon. Today I saw another new release yesterday, Tom McCarthy's SPOTLIGHT, a stylistically drab, dramatically quality film that is one of the year's best and most significant. It's a newspaper investigation story as nerdy and griping as ZODIAC. I will soon review it.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 11-07-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Current local to do list is ROOM, with Brie Larson. Others I have mentioned I don't know how I will see JAMES WHITE at present. Surprise discovery: the director of ROOM is Lenny Abrahamson, who previously made FRANK, which I hated.

Once more. Mike D'Angelo's latest 2015 Top Ten:
    83- Sicario (Denis Villeneuve)
    82-Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sang-soo)
    77-The Forbidden Room (Guy Maddin)
    76-Carol (Todd Haynes)
    73-Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson)
    72-The Martian (Ridley Scott)
    69-My Golden Days (Arnaud Desplechin)
    It was:
    83 Sicario (Denis Villeneuve)-US wide release 18 September ff.
    82-Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sang-soo)-NYFF
    77-The Forbidden Room (Guy Maddin)-NYFF
    76-Carol (Todd Haynes)-NYFF
    69-My Golden Days (Arnaud Desplechin)-NYFF
    68-The Overnight (Patrick Brice)
    67-Green Room (Jeremy Saulnier)
    In other words, ANOMALISA has come in with Desplechin's MY GOLDEN DAYS, and THE OVERNIGHT and GREEN ROOM are gone from top rating. GREEN ROOM has been pushed down by OUR LOVED ONES (Anne Émond), EVOLUTION(Lucile Hadzihalilovic), and BONE TOMAHAWK (S. Craig Zahler). He gets to see these things. I have not seen any of those, nor yet seen THE WITCH. I saw (unfortunately - D'Angelo wisely eschews watching any trailers) the preview of THE WITCH yesterday (Nov. 19) before seeing Abrahamson's ROOM, and it looks spectacular, though however magnificent the examples, horror movies are hard for me to like. For me, it will have to match GOODNIGHT, MOMMY (US release Sept. 11; I saw it in New Directors/New Films in March), now the Austrian Best Foreign Oscar entry and a superb horror film that does not have to carry the weight of period sets and costumes as THE WITCH does.

ANOMALISA is Charlie Kaufman (with Duke Johnson, whoever he is) and comes out Dec. 30. It has a Metacritic rating of 98! MUSTANG is Turkish with a plot related to THE VIRGIN SUICIDES; it came out in NYC today (Nov. 20). (I don't understand why it's the French entry to the Best Foreign Oscar competition, since it's Turkish.) It may come to the Bay Area in two weeks, or, I'll see it in NYC. Another one to watch for, that I'll see a preview of next month, is 45 YEARS (Andrew Haigh), with Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay. Release date Dec. 23rd.

I think it makes some sense to rate SICARIO and CAROL very high this year. I love Hong Sang-soo but it may be somewhat idiosyncratic of D'A. to put it up there. I can't respond to THE NEW MAD MAX that much. I also think THE FORBIDDEN ROOM is masterful work, but I'm less inclined to put it that high because Guy Madden has never been to my taste. As for MY GOLDEN DAYS by Desplechin, I'd like to watch it again. The frame-tale disconcerted me. As for ranking anything by Hadzihalilovic that high, even if I could spell or pronounce her name, judging by how strange and off-putting her 2004 INNOCENCE was, I'd be very doubtful. It goes with how crazy D'A. was about Peter Strickland's 2014 lesbian sex fantasy THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY. Well done, but I just could not relate.

I have now reviewed THE ROOM. It is impressively acted and a memorable experience, at core. As movie I think it is pretty flawed because the second half is not as strong as the first. However I would recommend it to serious moviegoers.

All of this consideration of Mike D'Angelo's top ten list is for several reasons, first just the fanatically precise way he rates films, second the fact that he keeps a running list of his favorites, which I'd like to do eventually. I'm not there yet, mainly because I don't know as well how I rate films till down to the wire. But it is essential that, as new films become available for the year, you readjust your priorities. And of course you have to keep adjusting it till the end of the year, because unless you get to pre-view everything, you probably won't be able to see some of the best ones till the end of December, or maybe later.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 11-20-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Considering that I saw all of 9 movies in theatres this year (and wrote only about 4) I'm woefully unqualified to say what were the best movies this year. Mad Max: Fury Road blew me away. I'm very grateful you see so many films Chris. Who needs members when we've got the Ultimate movie-viewing/reviewing machine? LOL

If you want to see somebody who better fits that title look up Mike D'Angelo's personal website, The Man Who Viewed Too Much. He lists and rates and often reviews everything he sees and his attendance of Sundance, Cannes and Toronto puts him ahead of my by a considerable margin. This is why I follow him.. I hope to catch up on some of his top recommendations such as JAMES WHITE and MUSTANG either here or during the holidays back east.

It's a shame that THE DISSOLVE, a good onlilne movie review, folded in July after only two years -- due to which, D'Angelo did not get to send bulletins on his Toronto viewings, which was a loss. (THE DISSOLVE's content from its lifetime up to July is still accessible however.) D'Angelo's daily festival bulletins have been his best writing.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 11-23-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Will check out Mike's website. He's my kind of people.

Believe it or not I will be attempting to make a film in 2016. I always said I wouldn't. But with Harper's annihilation I'm feeling particularly primed to make a movie. I have a small crew, a modest budget and a camera with a Zeiss lens. I hope to have it finished in 6 months' time. Wish me luck. :)

Yes, good luck!

National Film Board of Review lists. (These are definitely not my lists -- I haven't seen The Hateful Eight or Beasts of No Nation yet, for one thing -- but I like a lot of these titles and people. Son of Saul is an excellent Best Foreign choice and Amy is a good and predictable Best Documentary choice; some of the other choices are more predictable than discerning but such is the nature of committee selections.)

Best Film: Mad Max: Fury Road
    Best Director: Ridley Scott – The Martian
    Best Actor: Matt Damon – The Martian
    Best Actress: Brie Larson – Room
    Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone – Creed
    Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight
    Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino – The Hateful Eight
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Drew Goddard – The Martian
    Best Animated Feature: Inside Out
    Breakthrough Performance: Abraham Attah – Beasts of No Nation & Jacob Tremblay – Room
    Best Directorial Debut: Jonas Carpignano – Mediterranea
    Best Foreign Language Film: Son of Saul
    Best Documentary: Amy
    William K. Everson Film History Award: Cecilia De Mille Presley
    Best Ensemble: The Big Short
    Spotlight Award: Sicario, for Outstanding Collaborative Vision
    NBR Freedom of Expression Award: Beasts of No Nation & Mustang

Top Films
    Bridge of Spies
    Creed
    The Hateful Eight
    Inside Out
    Spotlight
    The Martian
    Room
    Sicario
    Straight Outta Compton

Top 5 Foreign Language Films
    Goodnight Mommy
    Mediterranea
    Phoenix
    The Second Mother
    The Tribe

Top 5 Documentaries
    Best of Enemies
    The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution
    The Diplomat
    Listen to Me Marlon
    The Look of Silence

Top 10 Independent Films
    ’71
    45 Years
    Cop Car
    Ex Machina
    Grandma
    It Follows
    James White
    Mississippi Grind
    Welcome to Me
    While We’re Young
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-03-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast