I just saw this last night and was impressed visually, though I think the technical exercise aspect of the film limited its storytelling capabilities in some ways. For one thing, the device of the Frenchman is necessary as a visual tour guide, and the voice of the narrator provides a good excuse for the Frenchman to "educate" him -- and the audience by extension -- and vice versa. Limitations can help focus the story, since by forcing us to identify with the Frenchman as the only recurring visual character throughout the run of the movie, the emotions and themes must be experienced by us through him. However, this same conceit prevented us from being able to learn more about the interesting subplots of characters within the rooms as we drift through them, which I felt was a pity. Then again, anything that leaves a viewer wanting more must have been done reasonably well.

Visually stunning, and yes, the off-camera wonders ran through my head for the entire hour and a half -- notice how the scenes involving the largest casts appear at the beginning and the end of the film, so that if any mistakes are made, they can be made before too much tape is wasted, while at the end the camera drifts about somewhat aimlessly through a ball in which there's something interesting to see no matter where the camera travels. Also, being a Russian production, it lent itself well to the stagey theatrics and existentialist themes and exposition. I imagine further knowledge of Russian history and art would have lent more depth to the viewing experience, but even as a relative unknown in these waters I found myself entertained and dazzled throughout.

However, a word of caution: I found myself also wondering several times if it was wrong of me to feel completely bored senseless. Without a specific plot to follow, all the walking through the museum at times amounts to... walking through a museum. One can only stare at opulence and a succession of opening doors for so long before desiring something to sink teeth into emotionally. Russian Ark may not have delivered on that end, and may be a trial for some attention span-challenged viewers like myself, but it's certainly a risk worth taking.