Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 AWARDS Season

See "The Suffocating Solemnity of 'The Revenant'" by Richard Brody in The New Yorker. He argues this movie would have been better if made in a studio and Hugh Glass's dragging himself across the snow had been done by stunt doubles with Leo's face digitally collaged on "because the artifices of a studio production and its digital contrivances would have pushed Iñárritu outside his narrow aesthetic ideology regarding physical reality and spiritual redemption. Escaping the self-imposed limits of climatic and theatrical rigors alike might have sparked his imagination."

There is no imagination in this film, only effort. Tremendous effort though.

Brody has another recent essay, "The Baffling 2016 Oscar Nominees." Great observations here about the whiteness of the Creed nomination, the limitations and strengths of Carol, and why Ed Lachman's cinematography deserves the award, why Hanes's direction is too subtle to make it through the Academy's "gross filter." Why the Academy will miss a lot of what's best about Carol because they watch a lot of the films at home on their TV screens.

I have to add that you need to watch visually splendid films like Carol or The Assassin on a truly fine film screen like the Walter Reade Theater's where the NYFF is shown. I rewatched Carol on the Landmark Albany Theater in Albany, California, and it was diminished, had lost a lot of the Ed Lachman glow.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-22-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Yes, something's very wrong here. Is it outright racism, or just plain ignorance? Either way, it makes the Academy look very bad.

If I was Leonardo DiCaprio, I might consider handing the trophy to Michael B. Jordan. Just take it, walk off stage, down into the audience, and hand it to him, with nothing but a nod. That would shake people up just like Brando did with his trophy for The Godfather. Leo's got enough talent (and is young enough) to win another one, no? :)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I love Stallone's quote from CREED: "Time takes everybody out. It's Undefeated."

Yes that is a good line by Stallone's character.

The SABG (Screen Actor's Guild) awards, 2016.

Just the film not TV ones listed here. They seem to mix up very different types of "screen" indiscriminately -- a mistake. But some justice was done here: for instance Idris Elba's citation.

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
    SPOTLIGHT (Open Road Films) (WINNER)
    BILLY CRUDUP / Eric MacLeish
    BRIAN D’ARCY JAMES / Matty Carroll
    MICHAEL KEATON / Walter “Robby” Robinson
    RACHEL McADAMS / Sacha Pfeiffer
    MARK RUFFALO / Michael Rezendes
    LIEV SCHREIBER / Marty Baron
    JOHN SLATTERY / Ben Bradlee, Jr.
    STANLEY TUCCI / Mitchell Garabedian

BEASTS OF NO NATION (Netflix)
    ABRAHAM ATTAH / Agu
    KURT EGYIAWAN / 2nd I-C
    IDRIS ELBA / Commandant

THE BIG SHORT (Paramount Pictures)
    CHRISTIAN BALE / Michael Burry
    STEVE CARELL / Mark Baum
    RYAN GOSLING / Jared Vennett
    MELISSA LEO / Georgia Hale
    HAMISH LINKLATER / Porter Collins
    JOHN MAGARO / Charlie Geller
    BRAD PITT / Ben Rickert
    RAFE SPALL / Danny Moses
    JEREMY STRONG / Vinny Peters
    MARISA TOMEI / Cynthia Baum
    FINN WITTROCK / Jamie Shipley

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON (Universal Pictures)
    NEIL BROWN JR. / DJ Yella
    PAUL GIAMATTI / Jerry Heller
    COREY HAWKINS / Dr. Dre
    ALDIS HODGE / MC Ren
    O’SHEA JACKSON JR. / Ice Cube
    JASON MITCHELL / Eazy-E

TRUMBO (Bleecker Street)
    ADEWALE AKINNUOYE-AGBAJE / Virgil Brooks
    LOUIS C.K. / Arlen Hird
    BRYAN CRANSTON / Dalton Trumbo
    DAVID JAMES ELLIOTT / John Wayne
    ELLE FANNING / Niki Trumbo
    JOHN GOODMAN / Frank King
    DIANE LANE / Cleo Trumbo
    HELEN MIRREN / Hedda Hopper
    MICHAEL STUHLBARG / Edward G. Robinson
    ALAN TUDYK / Ian McLellan Hunter

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
    BRIE LARSON / Ma – “ROOM” (A24) (WINNER)
    CATE BLANCHETT / Carol Aird – “CAROL” (The Weinstein Company)
    HELEN MIRREN / Maria Altmann – “WOMAN IN GOLD” (The Weinstein Company)
    SAOIRSE RONAN / Eilis – “BROOKLYN” (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
    SARAH SILVERMAN / Laney Brooks – “I SMILE BACK” (Broad Green Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
    LEONARDO DiCAPRIO / Hugh Glass – “THE REVENANT” (20th Century Fox) (WINNER)
    BRYAN CRANSTON / Dalton Trumbo – “TRUMBO” (Bleecker Street)
    JOHNNY DEPP / James “Whitey” Bulger – “BLACK MASS” (Warner Bros. Pictures)
    MICHAEL FASSBENDER / Steve Jobs – “STEVE JOBS” (Universal Pictures)
    EDDIE REDMAYNE / Einar Wegener/Lili Elbe – “THE DANISH GIRL” (Focus Features)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
    ALICIA VIKANDER / Gerda Wegener – “THE DANISH GIRL” (Focus Features) (WINNER)
    ROONEY MARA / Therese Belivet – “CAROL” (The Weinstein Company)
    RACHEL McADAMS / Sacha Pfeiffer – “SPOTLIGHT” (Open Road Films)
    HELEN MIRREN / Hedda Hopper – “TRUMBO” (Bleecker Street)
    KATE WINSLET / Joanna Hoffman – “STEVE JOBS” (Universal Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
    IDRIS ELBA / Commandant – “BEASTS OF NO NATION” (Netflix) (WINNER)
    CHRISTIAN BALE / Michael Burry – “THE BIG SHORT” (Paramount Pictures)
    MARK RYLANCE / Abel Rudolph – “BRIDGE OF SPIES” (DreamWorks)
    MICHAEL SHANNON / Rick Carver – “99 HOMES” (Broad Green Pictures)
    JACOB TREMBLAY / Jack – “ROOM” (A24)

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
    “MAD MAX: FURY ROAD” (Warner Bros. Pictures) (WINNER)
    “EVEREST” (Universal Pictures)
    “FURIOUS 7” (Universal Pictures)
    “JURASSIC WORLD” (Universal Pictures)
    “MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – ROGUE NATION” (Paramount Pictures)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-31-2016 at 12:36 AM.

The Oscars.

Best original screenplay: “Spotlight,” Josh Singer and Tom McCarthy

Best adapted screenplay: “The Big Short,” Charles Randolph and Adam McKay

Best supporting actress: Alicia Vikander, “The Danish Girl”

Best costume design: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Jenny Beavan

Best production design: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” production design by Colin Gibson; set decoration by Lisa Thompson

Best makeup and hairstyling: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin

Best cinematography: “The Revenant,” Emmanuel Lubezki (AKA 'Chivo; - 3rd Oscar in a row!)

Best film editing: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Margaret Sixel

Best sound editing: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Mark Mangini and David White

Best sound mixing: “Mad Max: Fury Road,” Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo

Best visual effects: “Ex Machina,” Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett

Animated short film: “Bear Story,” Gabriel Osorio and Pato Escala (First Chilean Oscar winners!)

Best animated feature film: “Inside Out,” Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera

Best supporting actor: Mark Rylance, “Bridge of Spies” (Good choice, but Sly was great too!)

Best documentary, short subject:“A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness,” Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

Best documentary feature: “Amy,” Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Rees

Best live-action short film: “Stutterer,” Benjamin Cleary and Serena Armitage (surprise! my favorite!)

Best foreign-language film: “Son of Saul,” Hungary

Best original score: “The Hateful Eight,” Ennio Morricone

Best original song: “Writing’s on the Wall” from “Spectre”

Best director: “The Revenant,” Alejandro G. Iñárritu (third Oscar in a row!)

Best actress: Brie Larson, “Room”

Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Revenant"

Best Picture: "Spotlight"
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-28-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Best part of tonight's ceremony - when Ennio Morricone won his first and probably his only AA for Best Original Score. Wow! It took him over 60 years, but he finally won (given to him by Quincy Jones!). He thanked John Williams! Outstanding!

A few surprises - The Martian, shut out. Not a single win. Mark Rylance? Wow! Who would have predicted. Spotlight for Best Pix - a long shot at best. Brie Larson? Anyone else see that one coming? (although she did win at SAG). Ex-Machina for Visual Effects, another shocker. Funniest moment - C K Lewis announcing winner of Best Documentary Short Subject - Mad Max (which took home most of the technical awards). Deakins nominated 13 times - no wins! The Susan Lucci of cinema.
    Last edited by cinemabon; 02-28-2016 at 11:24 PM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Yes, a beautiful moment, and I guess another case of Tarantino giving a deserved, neglected film person an opportunity to shine.

Morricone was nominated for a César award the other day, for another composition for a recent FRench film, but he did not win. . A French site says he got a liftime achievement award presented by Clint Eastwood in 2007, is that true?

César music nominatons:
    Warren Ellis, Mustang (WINNER)
    Raphael, Cowboys
    Ennio Morricone, Come What May
    Stephen Warbeck, Mon Roi
    Gregoire Hetzel, My Golden Days
    I've reviewed those other films on Filmleaf, but not Come What May - haven't seen it.

I watched the Oscars last night and I guess they addressed the "white people's choice awards" issue, huh?
    Chris Rock was edgy and interesting as host, and his white tux was amazing. I've never seen a suit like that before- he looked great. His monologue didn't hold back. I loved his zinger for Jada Pinkett. BAM! The Jack Black bit was also a riot (with Angela Bassett- they hit the right tone of anger and levity).

Mad Max: Fury Road was recognized (6 trophies!) and I'm very happy about that, but George Miller didn't win for Best Director...Wha?
    Dave Grohl's "Blackbird" cover was nice for the departed. Lady Goofball continues to annoy me to no end. Girl is wack.
    As for Best Picture- that came out of nowhere, huh? And Best Actress- I predict Brie Larson will never win again, and I never saw Room. To me that award was Cate Blanchett's, and some say it was Jennifer Lawrence's..so what gives, Academy? "Room" strikes me as a horror movie- nothing inspiring to me there. Sappy heart-strings-pulling covered with horror. Yeah, I'll rush out to see that...lol

I've gotta see Ex Machina- that looked amazing, and won best visual effects.
    I don't really have a problem was last night's show. But the soliciting for Girl Guides was a little weird, no?
    It was like passing the plate at church, with Pastor Chris essentially telling everybody not to offend God and give. lol
    He raised $65,000 in twenty minutes.
    Star Wars didn't get much recognition, but the audience gave JJ Abrams much love when he presented. (I guess people want to get hired by him in the future?)

Leo DiCaprio gave a heartfelt speech, mentioning his first director (Michael Caton-Jones), his mentor Scorsese and his friend Tom Hardy. He also warned about climate change, and my respect for him went even higher. Canada's PM Justin Trudeau met Leo recently, and told him to stop being so vocal against our oil industry, that many people's livelihoods are in that industry. Trudeau cannot pacify the environmentalists and the oil lobby in the same breath. That makes him a full-blown hypocrite. He knows full-well that Harper's complete focus on the energy sector was a disaster, a disaster that is almost unfixable with the current status quo.

I don't get upset when actors or entertainers express concerns about world issues. What better people to raise awareness?
    Just because they're super-wealthy does not necessarily mean they are as oblivious as a Kardashian. A lot of celebs have consciences and do make efforts to right wrongs. (See the Girl Guide cookie stunt). I enjoyed the Oscars last night. It wasn't stellar, but it also wasn't boring.

Well, this is very thorough, and I'm glad you were satisfied. I think it was one of the most satisfying though I don't share your love of Mad Max, and I would refrain from judging films I have not actually seen, such as Room. There are reasons why Brie Larson's acting in it is memorable. On the other hand I wish Carol had gotten more recognition and several other films. But to have a film as intelligent as Spotlight in the top spot is very nice. The "Blackbird" cover was beautiful. I missed Lady Gaga; anyway from what I hear neither that song nor that doc are more than well meaning. I was unmoved by Ex Machina, and don't think it's much of a movie, really.
    DiCaprio's speech was not only heartfelt, but very smart and extremely well planned, unlike Iñárritu's, which needed to be condensed more. And I cannot see why he and his cameraman need three Oscars in a row. The only one I can enthuse over is Birdman and it's really something you don't remember or want to go back and re-watch. Bird People on the other hand I couldn't wait to see a second time and I did, at IFC Center in Oct. 2014. Iñárritu tries so damn hard; I guess the Academy likes signs of effort. I like sprezzatura, careless ease, polish and brilliance without evidence of effort, a feel of having fun, like Tarantino.

Everybody looked so great, even people who aren't good lookign, like Liev Schreiber. They must run them through an Oscar-ization lab on the way to the Oscars stage.

You have a sense of ha ha- I'm definitely sure they have an Oscar-ization lab.

The Oscars are garish, as we all know. Presenters get $25,000 goody-bags as a token for getting up there and handing out a gold trophy.
    But it's always interesting to see what Hollywood does on Oscar night. I laughed a lot- even Sacha Baron Cohen as Ali G was a riot. Levity was nice to see.
    I also witnessed a wild ad for "Gotham City" starring Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck), for Turkish Airlines. Anyone see that? The tie-ins for this Batman v Superman are extensive: kids cereal, doritos, etc. I stand by my statement that Jesse Eisenberg is atrociuous in that movie. It may have merits outside that sad fact, but I'll wait for the DVD, if even that. I'll need to gather intel on whether or not it was any good. The trailers don't exactly pump me up, as Zack is known to do. Maybe he's been reigned in by higher powers? Who knows?

Carol looked incredible, from what I saw. Cate Blanchett is the real deal. She mentioned that Gena Rowlands was a huge influence when she was given an Honorary Oscar, and I can see that. Room seems well-intentioned, but man, to me that one seems like a horror movie. Anne Frank-level, almost.
    I'll keep an eye out for Bird People.
    Yes, I agree with what you say about Leo's speech. It was worth watching the show to see him up there. He said he doesn't take it for granted and I believe him.
    Innaritu is definitely on a roll, and so is his cameraman. They are the hot team right now, so what's next? I can see why Michael Keaton was so stoked when Spotlight won Best Picture. Innaritu had a killer night, and so did his latest work. Batman (the Real Batman if you wanna get down to it) is in the best pictures these days. And that's the way it should be. :)

Carol's cinematographer was Ed Lachman, who also did Far from HEaven and more recently the mini-series Mildred Pearce I've met Ed Lachman; he's frequently at Lincoln Center screenings and sits in the back where I usually sit. He is an interesting dude and a great and original cinematographer. Forgot Roger Deakins. Lachman is in on the cooler stuff. So it is great that he was nominated, and would have been greater if Iñárritu's dp hadn't gotten the superfluous third prize.

I agree Chris Rock's perfect white suit was striking, I noted everybody even usually ugly people looked perfect on the stage, and are you aware that he is over fifty years old? He takes care of himself. He manages to be both prickly and teflon-coated, which is a good combination for a comic/critic.

I am sorry that my festival coverage duties even on the weekend kept me from watching every minute of the Oscars. I think it was a good one and from what you say even the ads were cool.

I don't want to sound mean about Iñárritu and his cameraman, sure they are on a roll. But simply getting a nomination would have been enough. Intelligent voting would lead one to change winners from year to year, in my opinion. Unless they are gods. But they are not.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-29-2016 at 11:36 PM.

I agree with you on intelligent voting. Race has been addressed (partially at least) now let's focus on awarding truly the best in film, eh?

There are some incredible cameramen out there- Robert Richardson deserved the Best Cinematography Oscar but was shut out by a three-time winner. Yes, Lubeski is a Master. No one's arguing that. But Roger Deakins or Robert Richardson were slightly better craftsmen this year. Very cool about Ed Lachman. Hard category this year. Shouldn't the use of old cameras on 70mm give the edge to Robert? And those epic, grande, Master shots in The Hateful 8...Killer.

There seem to be a lot of young voters in the Academy now. They seem to be imposing their will a bit, here, no? Am I imagining that? lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12