Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dawn of justice: Wtf

We can agree that Jesse was miscast. I still don't know why they went with a "tech-twerp" Lex (Lex's son?!). I heard that Batman and Superman basically forget about Lex at one point and fight each other. (?!)

This movie really annoys me. This should be a badass kick-off to the Justice League, to DC's newfound domination of the Seventh Art, which I'm keen to see, as I know it can be done better than the Marvel films. But alas, it's just hype. Zack is the most qualified for the job- I vet him myself- but man, I don't know what's going on here. You can't fail with these characters. They're foolproof!
    Man of Steel was fantastic. So why does the sequel offer these weird items:
    1.Why is Metropolis so close to Gotham? To save money?
    2.Why does Clark's mother say to him that he doesn't owe earthlings anything? Catwoman said that to Bruce in The Dark Knight Rises!
    3. Jeremy Irons- you're right Chris- Michael Caine was fine, exemplar even as Alfred. Why change what was perfect?

I was contemplating seeing this anyways due to my fanboy loyalty to the DC Gods. But just seeing it for Henry Cavill & the lovely Amy Adams is not enough.
    This movie could've (and should've) been a hulking beast, but it looks like quite a loud dud.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-30-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

"They" may have wanted a tech-twerp to be up-to-date. Michael Caine is getting old; maybe he didn't want to do it any more. I can't understand your other more technical questions. I'd probably go and see it anyway just for Henry Cavill and Amy Adams and out of loyalty to the genre, but I see everything. Except that I didn't stay to the end, my attention flagged and the audience bugged me, it was crowded and a guy was fidgety behind me. I might sneak back in to see the end. But I said I'd see Mad Max again to understand what all the fuss was about and I never did so.

I hate the really big crowds too. And the figeters...and the bag russlers...and the serial coughers, crying babies..sticky floors from spilled pop, seat Nazis (I love the "Could you move one seat over so my wife and I can sit together..." Ive been the victim of that infuriating practice more than once. It sux. Cuz when I pick my seat I like to stay there!

Although the movie may be a dud, Dawn of Justice has a killer tie-in situation with DC Comics. I bought several of the polybagged special issues (I.E. the 50th issues of Batman, Superman, and even Aquaman). They are Awesome, The variant covers..Holy Shit are they cool. And in case no one knows, Frank Miller has released the first 3 issues of DKIII, the third installment of his Iconic Batman. I bought all three of course, with astounding variant covers. Pricy, but so worth it if you love comic art. This series is called The Master Race, and I was told it runs for 8 issues. They also include first issue mini-comics inserted into the middle of the books- I got The Atom (with a Frank Miller cover), Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. Looking forward to the rest.

The polybagged issues are special issues, and have special covers, frameable stuff. They are all themed with Batman vs. Superman of course, and are a real treat to read. (I never grew up. LOL)

That's why since you're such a fan I thought you ought to see it. I'm a completist. You don't go out and face the bag rustlers enough! (Just joking: one can sit far away from them, I try to avoid people when I'm in a commercial theater, though I've observed that when the seats are packed full, people behave better.)

I don't face the bag russlers enough. LOL True. I'm seeing Michael Moore's Where to Invade Next this week. Eventually I'll brave the cinemas. Pardon my procrastination, I'm still a movie buff.

Speaking of moviegoing pet peeves, the thing I hate the most is when I'm sitting in my seat alone for quite awhile (usually middle of the row, in one of the first 5 rows) and someone (or more people) sit right directly behind me, and start up stupid chit-chat right up until the movie begins, loudly eating and often kicking the back of my seat. I often go alone to movies, and this is torture. To sit there with clowns behind you at a seat you cherry-picked so you don't wanna move and you can't say a word, lest they think you're a mental case and a bad scene erupts...I loathe that situation, and that also has happened to me more than once.

In that instance I would just move, and that's an advantage of being by yourself; you can move without consulting with or or offending anybody.

That's true. If the offenders are really bad I do move, and I may mutter something loud enough for them to hear, depending on my mood, something like "I'm here to watch a movie, not to be seen and talk a lot and say nothing", and watch their response. :)

The path of least resistance is ideal, and being quiet is sometimes the best choice.
    It's never been so bad that I walk out of a movie because of another person in the theatre. I've never walked out due to the crowd. The movie, Yes. The crowd, No.

This is something that is nice about Paris, or at least the nicer cinemas in Paris. There is a tradition of being very quiet. And they don't bring a lot of snacks in. They also, as in festival screenings, sit still and don't walk out till most of the credits have rolled,k out of respect.

Yes, that's one of the great things about film festivals- you know there are people there who love cinema as much as you do or more.
    My memories of the 24th VIFF are vivid still- meeting James Benning and Larry Kent, watching Tommy Chong's priosn doc WITH HIM< HIS WIFE and the DIRECTOR...stuff like that you only see at festivals, and makes them way more important to me. Too bad I have a strange aversion to the process tho..:)

I heard the USA has more film consumers than any other country. That's a Great thing that America always had- a lock on movies. How Mythological is Hollywood? I'll be seeing Batman v Superman today, BTW. I'm biting the bullet, and I'll post about it. This one where I have to bite the bullet and see I think, and I hate people bipping about movies they've never seen, so I should see it, even if I end up hating the movie.

Good. Yes, that's right. Don't knock what you don't know firsthand.

Well I've seen the movie, and it's a mixed bag.
    The first 15-20 minutes showed great promise, then it was all over the map. I'll break down my impressions, The Good Bad and Ugly:

GOOD:
    The opening was pretty intense, re-capping Man of Steel's epic Zod/Superman fight with Bruce Wayne's reaction from "across the bay".
    Henry Cavill and Amy Adams are secure in their roles, and they did a good job. However, as good as they were, their characters didn't really evolve that much from Man of Steel, and Superman is disturbingly aloof from the destruction he was part and parcel of.
    Ben Affleck is alright as Batman. The only complaint I have is he's a bit faceless. He's a smart Batman and he's a tough Batman. I particularly liked him putting his foot on Superman's chest. Doomsday was a nice surprise-created from the corpse of Zod. The CGI was quite amazing for Doomsday. The cameos for Cyborg, Aquaman and The Flash were cool. I also liked how big Batman and Superman are. Ben Affleck is in shape here, and Henry Cavill is bigger than he was in Man of Steel. He's got the physique to play Superman. These guys at least looked like titans. I also liked the fact that Zack put Excalibur on the marquee the night of Bruce Wayne's parents murder. It makes it contemporary to 2016. Did anyone notice the Kubrick references? I noticed three: The Shostakovitch Waltz II playing at the party where Bruce meets Diana. Icarus is referenced and I saw some swastikas...there may have been more. I loved the references to comic book panels and lore- the geeks are probably lovin' it. It was nice to see the attention paid to "The Death of Superman"- coffin, etc.

BAD:
    The story. It's disjointed. It jumps around a lot, and it doesn't flow into a seamless powerful narrative. I think the movie gets away from Zack Snyder because he's juggling too many characters and too many plot points. Lex Luthor is obsolete here. He's completely un-needed. He is nothing more than a plot device. Who really cares about his dialogue or actions? He creates Doomsday from Zod's dead body- you could get anyone to do that- a janitor could do it, and you wouldn't need Jesse Eisenberg's shrill, over-acting over-the-top travesty of a performance. I do not see Lex Luthor at all in him. Lex is nowhere in this movie. You could call Jesse's character "Kyle Bloggins" and it wouldn't change anything. Lex Luthor is a formidable villain in Superman comics, and what Jesse Eisenberg gives us is some craptastic bonkers histrionics that leaves you wondering how much he was paid to be so terrible.

UGLY:
    Wonder Woman steals the show from batman and superman. Her brief scenes in costume were better than the whole fight with batman & superman, which ended weird- "Martha"? My Dear...This film was way too long. If you shaved 45 minutes, cut out Lex Luthor, cut out other useless scenes and amped up the fight between Batman and Superman, you'd have a pretty great movie. Why didn't they write the script to have Bats and Supes stop fighting each other to turn their attention to Doomsday, maybe even leaving out Wonder Woman- she could've been the cliffhanger ending/teaser.

Other plusses the movie had going for it: the introduction of the Batmobile was exciting. A great chase sequence, with machine guns and mayhem. I liked this Batman's batmobile and jet and other gadgets. Homages to Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns were great- Batman with his rifle, for one. I liked the Elseworlds-style dream sequence too.

Where was the real Lex Luthor? If he has to be in this movie, then make him the genuine article. Seriously, Eisenberg is a fish out of water, embarrassing. You watch him speak & twitch and you wonder "what's going through his head?"
    Max von Sydow would make a great Lex Luthor. He was awesome in the new Star Wars, let him in a superhero flick again, like he did with Flash Gordon.
    Is there plans for Eisenberg to reprise his role? With his shorn head? Lordy Begordy I hope not. lol

So yeah, you can see the Batsignal from Metropolis, Batman and Superman stop fighting and team up because their mothers have the same name. I found it interesting that the sentiment thru this movie is kind like "No one is Heroic- you may be a good person, but eventually you cave". I loved it when Superman smashed shit up & told Bruce that the Batman is dead, and if he wanted it, he'd be dead already. That was Boss. So was Superman as a corpse floating out in space- nice touch there. I've seen something similar in the comics...
    This is a "boys with their toys" superhero movie. Aestheticly it's very appealing- I also liked the scene where Aquaman appears- in a sunken ship's hull. He looks interesting. They're not making him look lame, a very wise move. Aquaman gets a bad rap, but I love the character. He covers more territory than land-lubbers, and it's only him, the only King of the Seven Seas! No pretenders to the throne. He is Lono.

Perry White was given nothing to do. Why waste a fine acting icon like Lawrence Fishburne? He went through a lot in Man of Steel, and he seems unaffected by it. He's a little more animated in Dawn of Justice, but he literally had nothing to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12