Thread: Dawn of justice: Wtf

Hybrid View

Dawn of justice: Wtf

I've seen the trailer for Zack Snyder's batman vs. superman: Dawn of Justice and I'm simply stunned with how much Jesse Eisenberg sucks as Lex Luthor. What bizarro over-acting shit is this? Lex Luthor never "acts insane"- his actions may be, but his countenance never belies that fact.

I refuse to see this movie as a result. I can't get past how much Eisenberg's performance sux. The blame goes on Zack Snyder.
    Is this a joke, Zack?
    WTF is going on here? This movie is a giant cartoon!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I'm a HUGE batman fan and a Huge superman fan- and I loved Man of Steel. This movie should be tailor-made for a fanboy like me. But I am revolted. And not by Ben Affleck. It's Jesse Eisenberg, full-stop.
    What the hell is he doing?
    I had an argument with a comic book shop manager here in Ottawa about it. He defended Jesse's performance, saying Lex Luthor would do absolutely anything to fuck with Superman, including "acting insane". I wasn't buying it. Lex Luthor has a history, and it's quite a clear one: he's a cunning intellect. So cunning in fact, that he does not need to "act" insane to one-up Superman. I could see him doing it for a few fleeting moments, but throughout an entire film? No way. It's wrong. It's not "groundbreaking", "interesting", or "cutting edge" to have Lex stray so far from his historical ways. It makes no sense to me. Jesse should've been reigned in or the script should've been re-written. And by the way, that trailer reveals EVERYTHING. The whole movie's plot is basically on dispaly with that third official trailer. Zack Snyder is one of my heroes, and he's lost me with this one. I have no interest in seeing it, and I worshipped Man of Steel!

Zack, you've got some explaining to do...
    Last edited by Johann; 02-22-2016 at 10:07 AM.

I object to trailers that tell you everything, and since a good number of them do, it's better not to watch trailers. Nonetheless, since we're talking about this, I wish you'd give the link to the trailer you watched.

There seem to be defenders of Eisenberg's Lex, such as:
    http://www.mtv.com/news/2679820/lex-luthor-batman-v-superman/
    -- and I saw there were others.

Thought comic book movies were "giant cartoons."

Jesse Eisenberg can often be rather annying. He certainly is in the upcoming Louder Than Bombs; he's meant to be in The Social Network as Zuckerberg and I love that film. Fifty-fifty in The End of the Tour. I like Kelly Reichardt's Night Moves and him in the main role in it; that showed he can be something other than the shrill Jewish boy when given the chance.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-22-2016 at 04:56 PM.

I'm aware that I look ridiculous by slamming a comic book movie (and shying away from the cinemas yet again) but allow me to defend myself.

I've pretty much loved every movie Zack Snyder's made so far. Even his Romero remake wasn't bad. I want to love this movie, but when I see that acting, I'm revolted, totally turned off. maybe that's the point? But if so, WHY? It makes no sense to have Lex portrayed in that way. Chris Nolan is involved with the Superman reboot with Snyder, and his Batman is taken seriously. By me, and by Legions of others. Man of Steel was as serious as you can make a comic book character like Superman, just like Watchmen, another Zack Snyder classic. It's not supposed to be cartoonish. Was The Dark Knight a fucking cartoon? No.

Kevin Spacey said that he wishes Jesse Eisenberg well, and that he'll "Kill It" as Lex. I'm still not buying it. Is Jesse not over-acting in those trailers?
    I should be super-stoked for this movie. I'm really turned off from seeing it, and it's all Jesse Eisenberg. I'll link the trailer shortly here...

Your link is very helpful. Who gives a shit who Max Landis is? And why did Zack allow him to be "inspiration" for Jesse??
    Those are my questions.
    That quote: "Remember, he's Lex Luthor Jr." doesn't mean jack shit to me. That still doesn't excuse his atrocious acting.

But again, I'd like you go give us the links to the trailers you watched. What I found had very little of Jesse.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-23-2016 at 04:07 PM.