Thread: P r i n c e [R.I.P.]

P r i n c e [R.I.P.]

PRINCE R.I.P.

He was a filmmaker too: Under the Cherry Moon (1986)

Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016) was an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer and actor. He was a musical innovator and known for his eclectic work, flamboyant stage presence, extravagant dress and makeup, and wide vocal range. His music integrates a wide variety of styles, including funk, rock, R&B, soul, psychedelia, and pop. He has sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time.[1] He won seven Grammy Awards,[2] a Golden Globe Award,[3] and an Academy Award.[4] He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, the first year of his eligibility.[5] Rolling Stone ranked Prince at number 27 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.
    --WIKIPEDIA, "Prince (musician)."[6]
    Blog: "Pour 15 minutes d'amour"

Tom Petty raconte qu'il faillit terminer dans le fossé la première fois qu'il entendit Little Red Corvette sur son autoradio. Le titre est extrait de l'album 1999 dans les bacs en 1982. (Tom Petty tells that he almost wound up in a ditch the first time he heard "Little Red Corvette" on his car radio. The title is part of the album 1999 which hit the stores in 1982.)

Scan : Une image de la série Route 66

Also Listen here: Prince MTV Unplugged - the art of Musicology

Or for his guitar virtuosity see his solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, et al., and notice his wonderful soul blues pimp outfit and how he tosses away his guitar and struts off stage at the end of the song it.

My friend Jessica became a Prince groupie in latter years (I don't know how far it goes back); and when I cited a recent tour of his that was much admired she said on Facebook, "Oh yes, I went to eight of those concerts." My friend Helen heard about this and was jealous, noting that he gave a concert in Oakland (near her) not too long ago, and she could easily have gone. Well, there will be no more concerts. And I didn't go to any, though I did go out and buy his third album, DIRTY MIND,
    titillated by the naughty cover and naughtier songs. Watching a few of his performances on YouTube in the wake of his demise, likely due to a drug overdose,* I can only say, what an entertainer. What an amazing performer. Jessica knew what she was doing, and now it's too late for us.

*Daily Mail article quotes former drug dealer who says he probably died from the combination of Tylenol with Dilaudid. If it had just been Dilaudid he'd still be alive.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-24-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks for this Chris.
    His death was a surprise to me. It's mysterious what happened to him. No one one witnessed him die. (on the Queen's birthday?-ODD!)

He had no signs of ill health, other than having flu-like symptoms and an emergency landing in his private jet after a show in Atlanta.
    Maybe he was sicker than we all know?
    I didn't have any of his records, but I respected his talent. He could play guitar like a house on fire.
    He had legions of fans, and he leaves another void in the music industry that can't be replaced.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Did you see my link to a Daily Mail article at the bottom of my first post?

If the dealer's statements are accurate, Prince was a very high-functioning, secretive addict to opiates, taken only in pill form, never injected. The speculation is that due to age and overuse of his body, jumping in high heeled shoes etc., he had more physical aches and pains that led him to see doctors who, not knowing of his drug use, prescribed painkillers like Tylenol which, when combined with his usual high consumption of Perccset, Dilaudid, and the like, led to dangerous interactions. This seems plausible to me. It has already become clear that his recent emergency landing and hospitalization was to be treated for a drug overdose with an injection of the opioid antidote Narcan (naloxone).

That article also cites a lawyer for Prince's siblings whom they told over a decade ago that he had "substantial" drug problems with Percocet and cocaine that they feared would lead to his premature demise.

All this explains why he "didn't seem sick" recently. He wan't sick.

But others disagree with this and insist he lived a clean life. Also Narcan can be used for other emergency conditions other than an overdose. We won't know for sure if he ODed till the medical report comes out. I recall when River Phoenix died, I could not believe he could have possibly OD'd either. But addicts hide their addicitions - when they can.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-26-2016 at 08:26 PM.

I saw the link but I always thought that drug addiction was pure speculation in his case.

Thanks for the additional info. He really was a "rock star"...

It is still speculation but in view of his being relatively young and a rock star and not sick and in view of the testimony of the dealer who claims to have sold him $40,000 consignments of pills and the sibling's lawyer's report of their prior concern of heavy Percocet and cocaine use, this is hardly fantasy.

40 Grand in pill consignments? Yikes. That's a recipe for a future platter of "See Ya Later"...

If any of what that dealer says is true, Prince's death is completely obvious.

Seems so. I guess nobody wants to say too loudly that the guy was hooked on pills. He made great music and that's what he should be remembered for. It annoys me when people dwell on Jim Morrison being a drunk or druggie, so I'm with the fans who hate that stuff. That is secondary to his talent. Prince never looked zonked-out, did he? You ever see the man fall off stage? Or have any missteps that would bely the fact that he liked percocets? His smile was the only thing that might've given him away!

Hmm, yes. But when you're a heavy addict sometimes you just do your drugs to feel normal and function. And he was a high-functioning addict, if he was one. If it was true, we can't avoid the fact. He's still a remarkable musician, for sure. John Coltrane was a heroin addict for a long time, until he had a near-overdose in 1957 and became very spiritual and presumably clean from then on. Drugs and alcohol are certainly part of the culture of jazz and rock and other music (not so much classical, that I know of; I've been wondering about this), but not a prerequisite to creativity. Here's a column about this topic by a guy who says his godfather was Dizzie Gillespie and godmother was the wife of Stan Getz.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...and-creativity

I want to add that Prince fans are reluctant to acknowledge of his involvement with drugs because he never got caught with them and as the drug dealer says, could better hide his use because it was in pill form. And I'm told he lived alone and was very secretive.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-27-2016 at 08:12 PM.

True enough.
    Drugs can help your life (for pain or for creativity) but they definitely are dangerous. One toxic cocktail and you leave the planet...Adios, Sayonara. Just ask Elvis, Janis, Jimi, Scott Weiland, etc.

Do the drug. Never let the drug do you.

It's nice to see PURPLE RAIN in theatres so soon after he died. I might go see it. (My father banned from me from watching it in 1984- "9-year olds don't get to watch titty movies!")

Remember The Man Who Fell to Earth appeared locally for me right after the death of Bowie and I saw it again.

Drugs can be enjoyable and I can vouch for that but I do not believe that they are necessary or even desirable for creativity, more likely they serve other purposes. Many remember taking the test on speed and thinking it brilliant, later learning he wrote gibberish, or the cannabis conversation that seems inspired to the interlocutors but consists or exchanged mumbles. No, I never did any creative work while high during the years when I was getting high.

A rock star environment is dangerous in providing young, naive persons distracted by excitement and new surroundings with unlimited access to dangerous substances.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-27-2016 at 08:51 PM.