Thread: My Favorite Movies of 2016 (so far)

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    There are some promising ones from the NYFF, coming out now or early next year. I just saw Chloe Zhao's The Rider, a very touching docu-drama about a young cowboy which I didn't realize was bought by Sony Pictures Classics at Cannes.
    You can always trust the NYFF selections. The relatively low number of films screened when compared to other festivals means that even if you don't like a film you are watching at the NYFF, you know that you are watching something many consider to be a high achievement. Sony Classics will release The Cowboy in April of next year. Thanks for introducing it to us.
    As far as 2016 films, I recently watched HELL OR HIGH WATER and I highly recommend it to all readers of these forum. It's certainly a consistently enjoyable, well acted movie that is justifiably mentioned in lists of the best films of 2016 (#8 in Rosenbaum's list). Like MANCHESTER BY THE SEA, another film in indieWire's 2016 Top 10 of the year, it doesn't quite have the impact on me that MOONLIGHT, MY GOLDEN DAYS, THE FITS, PATERSON, I AM NOT YOPUR NEGRO and CEMETERY OF SPLENDOR have. I recognize that some of the reasons I hold these movies in high esteem are entirely personal.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 11-22-2017 at 06:38 PM.