Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nyff 2016

THINGS TO COME/L'AVENIR (Mia Hansen-Løve 2016)

US limited theatrical release by Sundance Selects begins 2 Dec., 2016, it has been announced.

Verheoven's ELLE got US theatrical release Friday in the US. Rave reviews: Metacritic raging 90.

I've added more 2016 NYFF films to the Festival Coverage thread seen not in NYC but in Paris and California. Links below. Eventually I'll see nearly all; MANCHESTER BY THE SEA is now in release and JACKIE and PERSONAL SHOPPER are coming to the Bay Area shortly.

CERTAIN WOMEN (Kelly Reichardt)
    This is memorable, even if I didn't like it, and there is one of the three tales (with Kirsten Stewart, her third NYFF appearance) that is very touching.

THE UNKNOWN GIRL (Luc, Jean-Pierre Dardenne)
    Strongly acted by Adèl Hanel even if not top Dardennes.

TONI ERDMANN (Maren Ade)
    Highly original and thought-provoking, one of the best foreign films of the year. Some think the best; the European critics' favorite at Cannes.

I, DANIEL BLAKE (Ken Loach)
    The top prize at Cannes; some thought not worthy, but really vintage Loach and very moving.

LA MORT DE LOUIS XIV/THE DEATH OF LOUIS XIV (Albert Serra)
    Moody, beautiful, strange, and a triumph for the decrepit Jean-Pierre Léaud.

BILLY LYNN'S LONG HALFTIME WALK (Ang Lee)
    I like this film and I am very impressed by the discovery Joe Alwyn even though the technology can't be reproduced in ordinary movie theaters and doesn't seem to have mattered anyway and the depth of the book seems to have been lost.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-01-2016 at 12:32 AM.

The Independent Spirit Awards. See the article in Variety.

Andrea Arnold's "little seen" AMERICAN HONEY got as many nominations as MOONLIGHT, with MANCHESTER BY THE SEA COMING NEXT. This is thought to assure NYFF films MOONLIGHT and MANCHESTER BY THE SEA Oscar consideration.

Metacritic ratings rank this way:

MOONLIGHT 99
    MANCHESTER BY THE SEA 96
    TONI ERDMANN 94
    JACKIE 93

I was sort of swept away by AMERICAN HONEY (seen in NYC at Landmark Sunshine) but couldn't seem to write about it. One thing I can say is that Shia Laboeuf is very good in it, and the images are like sunlight tinged with honey and the scruffy young people in it are scarily real. But as a "story" it is insubstantial.

MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (Kenneth Londergan 2016)

Searing movie about a Boston handyman called back to his Massachusetts North Shore town after his brother's death and put in charge of his 16-year-old son. A blend of dry humor and tragedy, a deep sense of place and winter season, terrific acting by Michelle Williams, Casey Affleck, and Lucas Hedges make this as they say, live up to the hype. It's not a perfect film but it's still a quite wonderful one.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 11-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.

JACKIE (Pablo Larraîn 2016)

Natalie Portman's spot-on (and yet inevitably off; she hasn't got the class) imitation of Jacqueline Kennedy isn't necessarily the reason for seeing this film. Watch it for the over-reaching ambition of zeroing in on one of America's sacred tragedies of the century and skillfully blending segments focused on a Life magazine interview (which is clumsy and intrusive, but essential for introducing the "Camelot" theme); a meeting of the widow with an Irish Catholic priest played by John Hurt; flashbacks to the horrible event; and the long period in which Mrs. Kennedy asserts her control over the obsequies and the legacy while periodically wigging out on dress-up, booze, and pills. It lacks respect: but reverence would have led to something even more deadly. Not a great film but an Oscar bid, it does get our attention. Not in a league with Moonlight, I, Daniel Blake, Toni Erdmann, Manchester by the Sea, and other bests of the festival.

Another NYFF Main Slate film but seen in general release in December.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-13-2016 at 01:01 AM.

Ken Loach's I, Daniel Blake.

US theatrical release begins 23 Dec. 2016 at IFC Center and Lincoln Plaza Cinema.

NERUDA (Pablo Larraín)

This NYFF Main Slate film begins US theatrical release Friday, Dec. 16tn, 2016 in NYC (at the Film Society of Lincoln Center and IFC Center). His current overreaching in this and Jackie are the culmination of a steady decline that began subtly with his 2012 film No, also as here starring Gael García Bernal. Nothing has come up to his early films, Tony Manero and Post Mortem. Granted, though, this is more worthy of your attention than his other current release, Jackie.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-21-2016 at 04:47 PM.

TONI ERDMANN (Maren Ade 2016)

US theatrical release begins at Film Forum NYC 25 Dec. 2016.

TONI ERDMANN (Maren Ade 2016)

Can't wait to see Toni Erdmann again! But I'm not in New York this Christmas, and that's where it is, at Film Forum and Lincoln Plaza, ant Los Angeles at Nuart Theatre. Actually at Film Forum from Dec. 25 to Jan. 10.

You can read reviews of it in the NYTimes today.

“It’s something new under the sun, a thrilling and discomfiting document of the present moment and also, like every movie that matters, a bulletin from the future.” – A.O. Scott, The New York Times
    “ JUST BRILLIANT. Startlingly original, frequently HILARIOUS and completely surprising at every turn. It's a rare film that makes you think deeply about the world around you while also making you laugh hard.” – David Calhoun, Time Out New York
    My reaction to it in Paris was quieter than that, but it takes you to a totally new place and definitely makes you think while bemusing you.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-23-2016 at 07:09 PM.

PATERSON (Jim Jarmusch 2016)

I didn't get to see this during the NYFF, but I've included my review of it in NYFF Filmleaf coverage, after seeing it 6 Jan. 2017 on its opening day at Landmark Embarcadero Cinemas in San Francisco. It's a quiet wonder, repetitious but enlightening, very much a Jarmusch film but more zen and philosophical than any other. A song of love for the poetry of the everyday.

Metacritic rating is 90% though it the recent inflated market of Metacritic ratings that only puts it at #12 for the year. I'd rate it higher. Mike D'Angelo puts it 7th in his personal list.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-08-2017 at 12:13 AM.

THE REHEARSAL (Alison Maclean 2016)

New Zealand writer-director Maclean co-writing with Emily Perkins has adapted Eleanor Cattan's playful, inventive debut novel about teens and scandal in Aukland. Students at an acting school are in teams that must present an original production at the year's end to show off their theatrical invention and individual acting skill. Seemingly bland Stanley (talented James Rolleston) attracts lead teacher Hannah (Kerry Fox) and also quickly finds a girlfriend from whom he gets a theme for his team's final performance. Only it builds on a sex scandal with which he's personally involved. Surprise ending. The film, following the book, is loosely experimental without being at all unclear. In NYFF, also Toronto and London. Also included in the Feb. 2017 Mostly British Festival in San Francisco.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-10-2017 at 10:39 PM.

20TH CENTURY WOMEN (Mike Mills 2016)

The Centerpiece Film of the 2016 NYFF, and the film's world premiere. It is the second half of Mills' autobiographical coming-of-age story, apparently, concerning a 15-year-old boy in Santa Barbara in 1979 living with his 55-year-old mother Dorothea (Annette Benning). It is less cute and twee than its predecessor, Beginners, which takes place with a 38-year-old (still, perhaps, coming of age) whose father comes out as gay and lives a short happy life that way before dying, as his ex-wife had earlier, of cancer. Jamie (excellent newcomer Lucas Jade Zumann), the youth, is surrounded by "women," his mother, a punk photographer and lodger in the house (Greta Gerwig), and his best friend, who's 17, Julie (Elle Fanning). Also in the house is a hippie contractor (Billy Crudup). This is a good cast, and they're enjoyable to be with even though nothing much happens. Wide release coming 20 Jan. 2017.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-15-2017 at 01:41 AM.

JULIETA (Pedro Almodóvar 2016)

An adaptation of three linked short stories by the Nobel Prizewinning Canadian writer Alice Munro. An odd combination, I'd say - and I didn't get it.

PERSONAL SHOPPER (Olivier Assayas 2016)

Kristen Stewart directed by Assayas again this time without Juliette Binoche, who was busy overacting in Bruno Dumont's Slack Bay (Rendez-Vous 2017) She buys clothes for a rich celebrity, and is also a medium seeking closure with her recently dead twin brother. If that's too much to bear, just enjoy all the cool stuff and Paris. This movie was more fun than I had been led to believe from the reports of boos at Cannes.

US release is coming in about a week from today (2 Mar. 2017).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast