Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Personal Favorites (of all time)

Top 10 Personal Favorites (of all time)

Since I'm relatively new to this site and have sounded off on a few films that people seem to adore, here you go:

My personal favorites -in no particular order:

1. The Wizard of Oz

2. Nashville

3. Shampoo

4. Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

5. Psycho

6. Klute

7. They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

8. The Last Picture Show

9. Star Wars (only on the big screen)

10. Carrie (1976)

Honorable mention: Darling, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Cabaret, Vertigo, Belle du Jour, Written on the Wind, Dressed to Kill, Imitation of Life, Taxi Driver, and Theater of Blood

You've got some 70's classics on your list. Can't complain about that.

What a work the Last Picture Show is. I have a soft spot/envy for Peter Bogdanovich. He hangs out with cinema giants, picks up some ideas on how to shoot a film, and goes out and does a killer job. One of my favorite comedies is What's Up Doc?- it has one of the best chase scenes in movie history, a sexy Streisand, Madeline Kahn as O'Neal's annoying wife, and a *younger* Boss Hogg. Yee-hah! strap yourself in for a madcap romp. Very funny.

Ryan: "You are the plague. Why me, Why why why?"
    Barbra: "Because you look so cute in your pyjamas, Steve."

Belle de Jour is a landmark classic that needs no pumping. Just see it. (over and over and over)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Actually, my favorite bit in What's Up, Doc? is the "Just use your charm." direction given to Sorrell Brooke for the older woman in the hotel. I love it! (Yes, I'm a seventies lover -also the fifties; they had the most influence on me when I was growing up.) It is Barbara's best movie by far and Madeline Kahn is one of my all time favorites. Belle du Jour was introduced to me by a friend who saw the re-release by Martin Scorsese in New York years ago and it got me really hooked on Bunuel -what a fabulous sense of humor! There's other films I should have included like Billy Liar and Some Like it Hot but then I could go on and on. It's hard to narrow your favorites down to a list.

Belle de jour is probably Bunuel's best. I also saw the "re-release"-twice (Scorsese is a champion of film restoration)

Yeah, What's Up Doc has some great moments- that guy who jumps over the fence and lands HARD on the table was so damn funny a friend & I rewound it multiple times and laughed just as hard each time. Crazy nutty flick.

You have Shampoo on your top ten. Good on ya- Carrie Fisher's first role as a tart, Beatty doing his best Jay Sebring impression, and a script that is totally out-there. great stuff. I seem to see it every year on tv- I've never paid to see Shampoo and I've seen it 5 times...weird world we live in.

A Different Top Ten List

dave durbin's list seems like a music list in that there seems to be a certain era/time period focus. With music, I'm locked somewhat into the music I grew up with. I'm surprised to see though that same pattern operating with films. I haven't seen it before. The list appears quite eclectic without any major award winning films or big major motion picture except of course Wizard of Oz. While all of the movies on the top ten list are recognizable, they haven't had the same attention as other films. Two are horror thrillers. I can't really see a common connection or style that would propell all these movies to a top ten list. It raises more questions than it answers. I don't see any really serious heavy weight drama here - more mainstream, entertainment productions without being blockbusters or number one hits.

You wanna hear "era focus"?

Purple Rain Purple Rain- my dad banned me from the livingroom when this was on.

I'm Up The Creek- my dad banned me from the livingroom when this was on.

Footloose Kick Off Your... - my dad banned me from the livingroom when this was on.

Private Lessons (cue rod stewart's "You're in my heart")- my dad banned me..

you dig?

To 'ol boy 'J'

-you're dad sounds like a blast. I'm sorry.

To 'ol boy 'T'

-I think when you compile a top 10 list it would be a bit of a boring chore if you only select from one genre. I've never seen a major award winning film that I would put on a top ten list as far as personal favorites go. (And there's a world of difference between the best films you've seen and your own personal favorites -i.e. Citizen Kane is amazing but it's not one of my own personal favorites.) When you described the way The Hours made you feel, that's the feeling that these babies gave me. (And as far as not having anything serious on my list, I don't think that Klute, Picture Show, or Horses would be considered comedies by anyone I know.) They were the ones I was introduced to growing up and they made the biggest impressions on me. They are the bar as far as I'm concerned and I always find myself coming back to them. Just go with your heart sometimes, I guess.
    Last edited by dave durbin; 02-14-2003 at 11:49 AM.

Yeah my pop is a little "conservative" to put it mildly.

He went to see Natural Born Killers in 1994. Now, if there's any film I would think daddy-0 would NOT pay to see, it's NBK. He hated Born on the Fourth of July. Why did he see it? *alone to boot* Who knows? it's still a mystery to me.
    His opinion? "What a strange movie". He's never spoken about it since, and I don't feel the need to prod him.

Tommy Rocket Guest
    Johann & Dave -

Here's a partial list. These aren't exactly my "TOP TEN" more like, 10 of my faves. I'd have a hard time restricting myself to a TOP 10 list. So I'll start with these plus an honorable mention. There's a terrible gap in my foreign film education and in my exposure to the great 70's films, as you will see:

A PLACE IN THE SUN - those sumptuous close-ups of two of the most beautiful stars in Hollywood history at their prime, and the gorgeous screenplay bring a tear to my eye every time.

THE SHINING - the deliberately mundane first half (note I said "mundane" NOT boring) is very Hitchcock. Those quietly shot scenes of visual terror (those horrible twins!) along with the cinematography and fantastically terrifying score. Is there any movie scarier? Which leads me to:

REPULSION - Denueve looking gorgeous, and giving the performance of her life. Shockingly weird film. Love all the freakish happenings and the whole nightmarish quality of the film. One of the scariest ever.

THE HEIRESS - William Wyler's direction, stunning stunning score by Mr. Aaron Copeland, sumptuous period costumes AND those performances. Olivia da Havilland is tops. That scene where Ralph Richardson lays into her, and the then, of course, I cry every time she runs to Monty Clift in the rain while the music swells... and the icy scene where she lets her father have it. oooo it give me chills.

FAR FROM HEAVEN - Newly added to the list. Screenplay, performances, costumes, art direction, music, style and story! All perfect. Only flaw: the occasional scene where Julianne Moore's pregnancy is really obvious.

CASABLANCA - Is there anything that really needs to be said about this one except that we'll always have Casablanca?

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE - Though it's remembered as being corny it has a real darkness to it which goes to my gut. Stewart's performances is hard-hitting and desperate. Donna Reed is equally fab. I've been there - I've been there.

SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE - Ok, since we're moving into the sentimental. An homage to the power of theatre (and all the Shakespeare and period in-jokes crack me up). Every time I watch it, it reveals new levels.

THE LITTLE FOXES - another William Wyler classic. With Bette in top form. (She was one of the best actresses of her day - bold, risk-taking and though BABY JANE is most notable for its camp value, Bette is a stunner in that one too. Unafraid to be unglamorous and super-charged.)

THRONE OF BLOOD - I guess you're getting a sense now that I like high drama and broad strokes. Mifune's perf as the Macbeth character is the best Macbeth I've ever seen.

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - (hon mention) See it if you haven't.

T-bird

That's a fantastic list! I'd say it's prety unique as well. I agree with everything you said except I have not seen The Best Years of Our Lives (I didn't think it would be my cup of tea so to speak). You have fabulous taste. Cheers!

Great list Tommy. I wouldn't debate your choices.

Kurosawa, Kubrick, Polanski, Capra. Yeah, that's a good list.

Tommy Rocket Guest

TCM

Turner Classic Movies has a great Oscar month this month. 31 days of Oscar. Pretty cool. All Oscar winning films. Including Raging Bull tomorrow (yeay).

My 10 (s);

In English;
    1.Sunrise (Murnau)
    2.Paris Texas (Wenders)
    3.2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick)
    4.North by Northwest (Hitchcock)
    5.Some Like it Hot (Wilder)
    6.Vertigo (Hitchcock)
    7.Letter from an Unknown Woman (Ophuls)
    8.Casablanca (Curtiz)
    9.Singin in the Rain (Donen, Kelly)
    10=The Band Wagon (Minnelli)
    Night of the Hunter (Laughton)
    The Searchers (Ford)

Not in English;
    1.Sansho the Bailiff (Mizoguchi)
    2.Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky)
    3.La Regle du Jeu (Renoir)
    4.Alice in the Cities (Wenders)
    5.Story of the Late Chrysanthemums (Mizoguchi)
    6.The Green Ray (Rohmer)
    7.Maborosi (Kore-eda)
    8.Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)
    9.Mirror (Tarkovsky)
    10=Abraham Valley (Oliveira)
    Late Spring (Ozu)

Originally posted by sansho
    My 10 (s);In English;
    1.Sunrise (Murnau)
    Are you guys aware that the only way to buy this masterpiece on dvd is directly from Fox. They want you to buy 3 out of 14 dvds from their Classic Collection, send proof, postage and a certificate inserted inside these dvds. Granted the dvd includes useful special features but that's besides the point.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 05-15-2003 at 03:59 PM.

1. 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY (Stanley Kubrick)
    2. CASABLANCA (Michael Curtiz)
    3. NASHVILLE (Robert Altman)
    4. THE APARTMENT (Billy Wilder)
    5. THE PRODUCERS (Mel Brooks)
    6 ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA (Sergio Leone; only long version)
    7. PINOCCHIO (Disney)
    8. THE WIZARD OF OZ (Victor Fleming)
    9. THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (Michael Curtiz)
    10. SOME CAME RUNNING (Vincente Minnelli)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast