Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Oscars

2002 Oscars

"Chicago" has the edge right out of the nomination shoot because of its bright, jazzy, unlifting beat and it's time for a musical to receive the best picture award after Moulin Rouge's nomination last year.

Michael Caine in "The Quiet American" is the dark horse sleeper for best actor, but politically the movie is ripe for recognition as war is around the corner and Caine has been around a while, close but never quite there. Known as an actor's actor he is well respected. He could slip through in an upset.

If "Chicago" gets the best picture nod, Nicole Kidman might benefit for being passed over last year for "Moulin Rouge." She still has the sympathy vote and her role distinquishes her from her past characters - like she had to really act in this one. She upsets Renée Zellweger for best actress.

Ed Harris for best supporting actor, though all the nominees deserved the award. Again Harris was passed up in "Pollock." Chris Cooper loses out in a close vote.

Meryl Streep for bes supporting actress as a tribute to both her many nominations, her acting, and the movie "Adaptation" which gets passed over.

Martin Scorsese for best director because he wants it so much and worked for so long for it. A balanced distribution of awards this. The politically nice thing to do this year.

Of course, Adaptation gets the best adapted screenplay award.

The rest, take your pick.

the Oscars

All in all, I thought it was a pretty bland selection. No real surprises and once again the omissions are frustrating: Alan Arkin in 13 Conversations, Dennis Quaid in Far from Heaven are better choices than Paul Newman or Ed Harris I feel. And there were fresher, more lively, unique performances like Adam Sandler and Emily Watson in Punch Drunk Love, James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal in Secretary, Hugh Grant in About a Boy, and Samantha Morton in Minority Report. And Todd Haynes' s direction of Far from Heaven not being acknowledged in favor of Rob Marshall's clumsy work for Chicago is unforgivable. (Queen Latifah's nod is a joke as well.) Oh well.

I'm a little shocked that About Schmidt is not up for best picture. It's been replaced by The Pianist, so I'll just shut up on that.

I think Chicago has a huge shot at the top film prize. It would be nice to see it and GONY win, but I'm gonna go loco and say that The Hours will this year.

Jack's got the acting prize. It's locked. If he doesn't, I will be choking on my beer again in March. His only competition is Dan Day-Lewis, and i think the voters would rather see Jack in his sunglasses ripped to the tits than a sober serious Irishman politely speak & leave the stage. (Sorry, but it's true)

Nicole Kidman for Best Actress. I got $50 on her taking it.

Martin Scorsese for Best Director.

John C. Reilly for best supporting actor, Meryl Streep for supporting actress. Those are the biggies, and i think My Big Fat Greek wedding will win for original screenplay.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

the Oscars

"Ripped to the tits."? That's hilarious! I hope Reilly and Streep get it -Walken would be good too- but I'm holding out for Julianne Moore for Best Actress (even though I don't think she really stands a chance in Hell) and either Caine or Day-Lewis for Best Actor. If anybody else wins I guess I'll get "ripped to the tits"!
    Last edited by dave durbin; 02-12-2003 at 02:37 PM.

Sentimentally Speaking

I think that dave durbin has a point with the absence of Adam Sandler and Emily Watson in Punch Drunk Love, James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal in Secretary, Hugh Grant in About a Boy from the Oscar nomations. While I didn't see Punch Drunk Love, I did see both Secretary and About A Boy. The performances and movies themselves had intelligence, entertainment, and a solid substance in their genres that deserve recognition. I do feel a twang of regreat that they didn't get nominated, especially now that you pointed it out - Maggie Gyllenhaal who really had an inside track based on the attention she was getting from other awards she'd received.

I agree. Punch-Drunk was too "alternative" I think.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

You're forgetting one actor...

Jake Gyllenhaal. Of course his sister, Maggie, was delicious in "Secretary," but Jake's performance in "The Good Girl" illustrated quite a lot of depth. I almost thought that when the film was released, Jake Gyllenhaal was a shoe-in for a Best Supporting Actor nod.

If The Two Towers wins best picture, I'll be speechless. Not from anger, but from amazement that the Academy forgot to issue the memo that any non-event, non-dramatic film be allowed to win Best Picture... Someday, I would love for a foreign film to win BP, just to see a day in which the entire American film industry admits that the best film made in a given year was not made by them. They'll hand out Director's awards, and the occasional acting or screenwriting nod, but it would be true generosity and stunning honesty (dependent upon the circumstance) for a foreign film to win Best Picture.

PEDRO??

2002 is an appropriate year for a foreign language film to win best picture. Nine different english language films were named Best Picture by the critics associations in the US because there were many very good movies but not a single one for the pantheon. In my dream world, L'emploi du Temps(Time Out) or Atanarjuat(The Fast Runner) would win best picture. On the other hand, isn't Pedro actually nominated for Best Director? Could he win just like he did at the European Academy Awards? He has accepted so many awards worldwide for All About My Mother and Talk to Her that he is learning not to make an ass of himself on T.V. Forgive him for assuming we'd understand a single english word he said(kinda) at the 2000 ceremony.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 02-22-2003 at 11:23 PM.

You know, I started thinking this morning about the categories that no-one really pays any attention to, like best original song. Everyone has an opinion on best actor or best director, but what would we all like to win best original song? Personally, I'm putting my cross next to Paul Simon's 'Father and Daughter' from The Wild Thornberrys. I dare say U2'll walk away with it, though, through sheer force of pomposity.

And what about best short film? Personally, I felt the snubbing of Chris Morris for My Wrongs 8245-8249 and 117 was... well, it was entirely predictable, actually. But it would have been nice to see him get up on stage and make an acceptance speech as brilliant as his BAFTA acceptance speech for 'The Day Today', where he caused VT editors to go into cardiac arrest with one unbroadcastable reference to Meat Loaf's crack habit. :D
    Perfume V - he tries, bless him.

''The Hours,'' Philip Glass

Personally, I have enjoyed Philip Glass and his different musical strains and melodies for many years, and I hope that he will be recognized as a unique and talented composer that he is at this year's Academy Awards for Original Score.

I haven't been interested in Eminem and have had great reservations about who he is, but I can't deny that his song in ''Lose Yourself,'' from ''8 Mile,'' Music by Eminem, Jeff Bass, and Luis Resto; Lyric by Eminem has a strong message and a great resonance. Any song from "Chicago" would be fine with me.

There have been very few signs of true life at the Academy Awards the past oh, I don't know, 30 years or so. My favorite moments have been Robin Williams singing 'Blame Canada' from South Park, Woody Allen's surprise visit last year, Whoopi Goldberg's in-joke about Sharon Stone putting her husband in a cage with a Komodo dragon which in turn attacked him, moments like that. The only thing I'm looking forward to seeing this year is Eminem's performance; it's bound to be the highlight of the entire show even though I doubt he'll win.

Incidentally, is Steve Martin the host this year? I thought his performance at the 2000 ceremony was funnier than any film he's made since the late 80s.

Yes, Steve Martin is hosting the Oscars this year.

Good stuff. Anyone who wilfully abuses his position as Oscar host to insult Tom Hanks and Russell Crowe is alright by me. ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast