Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Best movies of 2017

Glad you walk daily. Thanks for telling us about Walt Stack. I may one day do another half but never a whole marathon. I'm focused on a sub-22 5k. I'm about a minute slower at the moment. November is my target month to reach this goal. Then I will probably set my sights on a 10k for spring, maybe a sub-45.

I just watched what may be the most neglected film "released" in 2017: THE TEACHER, the most recent collaboration between Jan Hrebejk and Petr Jarchovsky (Cozy Dens, Divided We Fall, etc.). The "distributor" is Film Movement which means that it might as well be a direct-to-disc release. Anyway, the premise concerns a widowed teacher, well-placed within the Czechoslovakian Communist party, who abuses her power to the detriment of her students and their parents. The Teacher uses an intricate but legible flashback structure and reminds some viewers of 12 Angry Men in terms of its plot and character development.

I feel good these days, I am living a cleaner life than when I was running a lot. Good you're working for the faster 5K.

I have not seen that film. It came to NYC in late Aug. when I wasn't there and may not have lasted long. I see it can be watched on Amazon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    I feel good these days, I am living a cleaner life than when I was running a lot. Good you're working for the faster 5K.

I have not seen that film. It came to NYC in late Aug. when I wasn't there and may not have lasted long. I see it can be watched on Amazon though.
    I'm glad to hear you're feeling good and all. I'm working towards doing the race at 7 minutes per mile. Just a few months away, I figure.

As far as the 2017 "runner-ups" list: phenomenal films just short of top 10 status, I am downgrading "Good Time" for its cynicism and replacing it with the Slovak film The Teacher. Now, as far as the TOP 10 films proper: I listed them in alphabetical order initially but now, with the perspective time allows, two of the 10 seem to stand out: THE DEATH OF LOUIS XIV, the French film by Catalan director Albert Serra with a mesmerizing performance by Antoine Doinel (half kidding) and the intelligent and emotional MUDBOUND, a film produced by Netflix that is emblematic of the criticism the company has received for, among other things, failure to give films a respectable theatrical release that still confers respect and authority and makes a great film stand out among the gargantuan stream of audiovisual production in different formats and windows. Director Dee Rees seems to be particularly adept at handling group scenes and calibrating a performance to suit the whole drama. I will continue to explore these two marvelous movies.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 08-04-2018 at 08:45 PM.

I was very disappointed with Good Time, after the hype. Mudbound for me was too hellbent for tragedy. Couldn't watch it at home. In a theater I'd have stuck it out. It was top-rated for that year. I guess Serra is really good at doing people dying but it seems to take them awfully long. I saw both his dying-famous-men films. "Antoine Doinel" is NOT well, I can tell you. He has not taken care of himself. He is younger then me.

Look for some new film reviews coming from me of:

Support the Girls (Andrew Bujalski)
    John McEnroe: In the Realm of Perfection (Julien Faraut) narrated in English by Mathieu Amalric
    Madeline's Madeline (Josephine Decker)
    A Whale of a Tale (Megumi Sasaki)

These are all coming out in the next few weeks and all have high critical ratings.

Of recent films I've seen in theaters I find MCQUEEN leaves the greatest glow. I also think SORRY TO BOTHER YOU is a great comedy. I did not get the other Oakland movie, BLINDSPOTTING, didn't see the point of it quite. In a similar vein looking forward to BLACKKKLANSMAN by Spike Lee. The new TOM CRUISE MISSION IMPOSSIBLE is great, but then, it disappears in the corners of your mind among all the similar films. He is in remarkable shape. I wonder what he can do a 10K in. Isn't he about your age?

I guess you are saying you're going to run a 10K in 43.7 minutes, but is it normal to calculate a kilometer race in minutes per mile? I guess here maybe it is. I think I did do about that once, but when I was younger than you are now. Ten-Ks are hard, aren't they?

I guess you are saying you're going to run a 10K in 43.7 minutes, but is it normal to calculate a kilometer race in minutes per mile? I guess here maybe it is. I think I did do about that once, but when I was younger than you are now.
    I didn't mention 10k races. Just a 5k (3.1 miles) at 7 minutes per mile (under 22 minutes total). In the US, runners talk only about minutes per mile even when the races are measured in kilometers. Last year, my best was 22:20. This year I am going to achieve my goal time. I am confident. I plan to lower my weight to 140 lbs. and do a lot of hill running to strengthen my legs.

I watched Aki Kaurismaki's THE OTHER SIDE OF HOPE a couple of times and I think it's a major achievement. I want to place it in my 2017 Top 10 like you did. However, I could not move any of the films out of my existing top 10 to make room for it. I am watching several Kaurismaki films that did not open in the US. I especially liked his version of Hamlet set in 80s Finland with the protagonist being the son of a greedy CEO not a king. It's called Hamlet Goes Business, with the great Katy Outinen as Ophelia but no Falstaff to be found.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 07-05-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks for the information, Oscar. Love Kaurismäki. You are replying to a message I posted a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    Thanks for the information, Oscar. Love Kaurismäki. You are replying to a message I posted a year ago.
    I am certainly a late responder. I am thinking about this 2017 list and that film by Paul Thomas Anderson that came out #1, best film of the year, on a lot of polls, including the one run by the Village Voice. I've written recently on the pleasure and important to promote good films that may be forgotten, or at least neglected or under-appreciated. I was noticing how I probably did that when making my list and leaving PHANTOM THREAD just outside the top 10 while including films that, unlike PHANTOM THREAD, are likely to be forgotten: a 1954 Sternberg restoration, and animé, and a TV series too weird for today's taste. The specificity in the relationships between the three principals and the delicacy of the feelings between artist and muse make P.T. one of the great achievements in recent times. It's only fair to admit it even though it doesn't need to be reiterated (Group think was right this time. The metacritic score must be in the 90s.) My 2017 list has been edited to reflect this change in attitude.

2017 Top 10

Mudbound
    Twin Peaks
    The Death of Louis XIV
    Phantom Thread
    The Florida Project
    Lady Bird
    A Quiet Passion
    The Red Turtle
    The Shape of Water
    The Woman Who Left
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 05-31-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Intriguing Selection "Phantom Thread"

I had watched the trailer back in 2017 but ultimately didn't watch the movie. Now during this whole Pandemic outbreak, my basis for selecting and judging films has probably become somewhat distorted. However, I hope at some point I will get around to watching "Phantom Thread" now that it's been recalled into my consciousness.

Just 90% I think, PHANTOM THREAD. It is a good one. "A TV series too weird for today's taste." Really? I doubt that. Bbut there is only one David Lynch. There's just nobody that original. There was quite a buzz about the revived TWIN PEAKS a couple years ago, and well deserved.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-31-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567