Thread: Cannes Film Festival 2018

Threaded View

Time for the prize-predicting. News (good) of Terry Gilliam.

The energetic Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian has a roundup article touching on the social-political-gender issues and listing the Cannes movies he disliked and the ones he loved and closing with the following predictions (though no one succeeds in guessing the Cannes awards that I know of - but the actual awards may be some rearrangement of these titles):
    Peter Bradshaw’s predictions
    Palme d’Or Happy As Lazzaro (dir Alice Rohrwacher)
    Grand Prix Cold War (dir Pawel Pawłikowski)
    Jury Prize Burning (dir Lee Chang-dong)
    Best director Matteo Garrone (Dogman)
    Best script Ebru Ceylan, Akin Aksu and Nuri Bilge Ceylan (The Wild Pear Tree)
    Best actor Yoo Ah-in (Burning)Best actress Joanna Kulig (Cold War)

'Imaginary' Cannes awards – AKA Braddies d’Or
    Best cinematography Hong Kyung-pyo (Burning)
    Best music Roman Bilyk and German Osipov (Leto)
    Best supporting male actor Liao Fan (Ash Is Purest White)
    Best supporting female actor Kirin Kiki (Shoplifters)
    Best production design Curt Beech (BlacKkKLlansman)
    One I would mention for sure is Bi Gan's Long Day's Journey Into Night, which I'm pretty sure is one of the, thrillingly brilliant films of the festival, quite possibly the most thrillingly brilliant one. His debut Kaili Blues, seen by me in New Directors/New Films, was a uniquely memorable thrill.

It would also be fun to list all the turkeys that have been reported on in the festival, and make a mini-festival feasting on them. To ponder on the mistaken reasons for including in such a prestigious and elegant event so much sheer expendable junk.

Terry Gilliam (from the Guardian)

News of Terry Gilliam.
    Terry Gilliam's long-pursued Don Quixote comedy will, as announced, be shown as the closing film at Cannes, tomorrow, Saturday May 19, opening in Paris the same evening, UK (or US) dates to be announced. Gilliam has now explained, in a Guardian article that while the symptoms were similar, what he had, "less painful than a stubbed toe," was a perforated medullary artery, something more minor than a stroke. And he is fine now, and will be on hand for the debut of the movie it's taken him decades and required overcoming so many obstacles to complete.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-19-2018 at 07:12 PM.