Thread: Solo directed by Ron Howard

Hybrid View

Two big thumbs up for Solo.

Impressive action, sprawling visual candy, as a Star Wars fan, I approve.
    Ron Howard has added another great film to his filmography.
    The only criticism I have is the characters. Are they as well-rounded as the originals? No.
    Only Chewbacca was as well-rounded and THEN SOME. Chewy made this movie for me. Loved pretty much every scene he was in.
    Lando is an interesting guy here- I won't spoil anything, but he intrigued me.
    I loved the production design- this was what Star Wars should be. We had someone at the helm who leaves no doubt.
    I also loved how we get to see a different aspect of the Star Wars universe- oppression under the Empire first-hand.
    I'll see it again, because it honestly renews my faith in cinema.
    Thank you Ron Howard.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

The Rian Johnson Star Wars, which I reviewed favorably here, got a very high critical rating, Metascore 86%, and this one (Ron Howard?) gets only a 63. I like Alden Ehrenreich from the relatively obscure movies he's been in, but he is rather an unknown quantity, and no Harrison Ford. On the other hand, Woody Harrelson, with that familiar voice, is a quantity all too well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    Woody Harrelson, with that familiar voice, is a quantity all too well known.
    Agreed. Woody's character baffled me. Was Ron Howard able to "direct" him? LOL

Problem when you hired an actor known for one kind of delivery is that you get what you hired. I suppose that has some star appeal and box office appeal for insurance purposes. However, Star Wars is famous for hiring unknowns (in most instances) and I can think of only a few instances when using a veteran worked (Obi Won being perhaps the best example). The story relies more on the situational aspect and the action than it does on acting (as we've seen, even Mark Hamill couldn't destroy the original). Howard may have the unfortunate distinction of having the sequel with the smallest box office return.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Quote Originally Posted by cinemabon View Post
    Howard may have the unfortunate distinction of having the sequel with the smallest box office
    That may be true.
    It doesn't reflect on the film we got. Ron Howard really gave us a smooth Star Wars movie, and I for one am very happy.
    Timing is everything, and I think it was released too soon.
    Nobody seems to care, reviews are lukewarm. I LOVED SOLO.