Thread: MARY POPPINS RETURNS (Rob Marshal 2018)

Hybrid View

I've no right to post anything here. As Chris so aptly put to me, "If you haven't seen the film, there's nothing you can say." Let me explain that in 1963, from her red-hot engagement as Guinevere on Broadway and Eliza Doolittle, stage actress Julie Andrews went back to England and shot "The Americanization of Emily" during which she got pregnant. Enamored with her great range, her sparkling personality and her wonderful wit, he (Walt) pictured no one else as Mary and even delayed the production to include her. When Jack Warner announced at the same time he intended to cast "My Fair Lady," everyone assumed Andrews would take the role and turn down Disney. Warner, who didn't like Andrews from the start because she "stood up to him," offered the part to Audrey Hepburn who had a "bankable" past for investors that insured "My Fair Lady's" success. With no barriers, Andrews accepted Disney's offer and it sent shockwaves through the actor's guild and equity on Broadway. A year later when the two film's premiered, critics lambasted Hepburn as having a "dubbed" voice. When it came to awards season, no one voted for her, for Audrey. She paid the price for Jack Warner's arrogance. Andrews, on the other hand, used "Poppins" as a spring board and went on to star in the biggest box office musical of all time... until Beauty and the Beast (live action) a few years ago.

I can't begin to explain the popularity of Mary Poppins that year. It trounced "My Fair Lady" at the box office. People loved it. It didn't have the pretentious feel that "My Fair Lady" had. Andrews became the darling of the press and the public. The songs (some are downright silly) were still overshadowed by the talent that delivered them. Andrews renditions of "Spoonful of sugar," "Feed the Birds" or "Chim-Chimney" or even "Go to sleep" are sweet, clear, bright, precise, delivered with vibrancy. Her voice cut through the orchestrations with such clarity. No one until Barbra Streisand ever did that.

So when they started teasing about a sequel, my first reaction was... "Why the hell didn't they do it forty years ago when Julie Andrews still had her voice?" Listen to "I could have danced all night" from the Broadway version and compare it to Marnie Nixon's version from the film. There's no comparison. Andrews wins hands down. She came along as the perfect voice for those shows where she could shine - "My Fair Lady" "Camelot" "The Sound of Music" and "Mary Poppins" all performed within a ten year period. I'm sorry. We're talking about a film that built people's hopes up and then what... did it let them down? I guess I will just have to buck it up and do as Chris always advises - "Go see the film, Bill, and THEN tell us what you think!" Ok, ok... if I must.
    Last edited by cinemabon; 03-01-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos