Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter doldrums FILM JOURNAL Jan.-Feb. 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    BERTRAND BLIER.
    The five films in the AMOUR OR LESS: A BERTRAND BLIER BUFFET series at Quad Cinema that I saw are an introduction to this pretty famous French filmmaker.
    The movies directed by Blier were among the most widely distributed and advertised French films from the 70s and into the 90s. His films were the kind that would play in cities like Albuquerque, NM and Athens, OH. I "grew up" on Blier, and what I mean by that is that I watched all his films during those decades at the theater. How can a teenage boy not love the outrageousness of "Going Places"? The issue about Blier's films is whether they're interpreted as celebrating and/or satirizing certain crude, often misogynistic attitudes. I remember thinking that "Too Beautiful for You" was his best. I haven't felt compelled to rewatch them but I'm happy I did and moments from several of these films remain with me.

When I see (or hear; sometimes it's just talk) some of the stuff in Blier's films, I'm surprised it would play even in France back then not to mention Albuquerque. (Are you sure about Albuquerque?) I'm glad you enjoyed them. I guess back in the day, they all sounded too "pop" and gross for a snob like me weaned on Resnais, Truffaut and Cocteau so I avoided them. Or maybe it was merely accidental that I missed them. I can see you you would be delighted by them when you were young. Why did you think TOO BEAUTIFUL FOR YOU was the best, if you know?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123