Thread: Best Movies of 2019 so far

Threaded View

I recommend watching all Hogg's other films if you can. I did right after cseeing THE SOUVENIR. It's worth it. They're not long. Don't blame yourself for missing them: there was no attention paid to them or to her, in the US at least, till THE SOUVENIR.

Clio Bernard is a strong UK director, and I can see you'd particularly like THE ARBOR with its use of documentary elements. I reviewed it as part of the SFIFF of 2011. But the social worlds of the two director are worlds apart, though they might have much in common being women and English. I loved THE SELFISH GIANT, can remember exactly where I saw it, the tiniest auditorium at IFC Center in NYC. I missed DARK RIVER.

The reason why I discovered Hogg is because I'm a regular reader of the weekly New Yorker magazine. The background piece there on her and the making of THE SOUVENIR made me eager to see it right when it was coming out in theaters, and quite unlike her first three, it was shown at a big local chain movie house, AMC Bay Street. Wish I could go there now - or the Century Hilltop in the opposite direction, which I've discovered in the past year is cheaper, easier to get to, and has better buttered popcorn. When open, that is.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-09-2022 at 09:02 AM.